RMAF 2018 - SHOW DEMOS and NEW STUFF!

modwright

RMAF 2018 - SHOW DEMOS and NEW STUFF!
« on: 27 Sep 2018, 01:13 am »
It is time for RMAF 2018 and we will have some new things and some show demos:

First of all, we will be showing with a 'Concept' 200W hybrid integrated.  It is based on a KWI 200 at this point, with the SS preamp circuit replaced with a 6922 based tube preamp. The next steps will be to re-design all of the internal PCBs, controls, etc. as well as the enclosure to increase heat sink exposed area and cooling. Then we will replace the output stage with 150SE BJT's. I am excited about the further development of this integrated amp!

The PH 9.0 will be at RMAF in production form and professional photography is also in progress. A reviewer is in line and more to follow on this.

Digital source at the show will be a modified Sonica DAC.
Secondary digital source will be a Pro-Ject S2 DAC with our new Unity Gain tube analog stage and upgraded 5V linear power supply. Mod name yet TBD.  It will be in proto form.

Innuos will be providing a fantastic server for digital playback.
http://innuos.com/en/catalog/go/zen-mini-mk2-std

Fern & Roby will be there with their Montrose TT and Hana SL cart feeding the PH 9.0 phono stage.
https://www.fernandroby.com/products/details/the-turntable-montrose-promotion

We will also have a SWL 9.0 Anniversary Edition preamp and KWA 100SE that we will likely have on static display only.

Show demos Available:

KWA 100SE SS amp, silver. $5250 retail -----------------------------> $3595 - shipped Demo Price.
ModWright tube modified Oppo Sonica DAC. $3300 retail.----------->SOLD
SWL 9.0 Anniversary Editoin preamp, silver, $2900 reatil-----------> SOLD
PH 9.0 phono with opt. fully bal. XLR outs, black. $3250 retail -----> SOLD

Ask about show specials on PH 9.0 and all Mod sales - orders taken at the show only!

Thanks,

Dan W.

« Last Edit: 4 Dec 2018, 01:53 am by modwright »

Joe Frances

Re: RMAF 2018 - SHOW DEMOS and NEW STUFF!
« Reply #1 on: 7 Oct 2018, 09:57 pm »
Dan:

Could you post a picture of the concept hybrid integrated?

Thanks,

Joe

modwright

« Reply #2 on: 12 Oct 2018, 06:42 pm »
This is just a candid shot from RMAF 2018.

Obviously it resembles the KWI 200 and the face plate and controls will remain the same. The cover will be revised to allow greater cooling with more exposed heatsink area. The tubes may be inside the unit, mounted horizontally, with an access panel. But this gives you an idea.

Joe Frances

« Reply #3 on: 14 Oct 2018, 03:08 am »
This is just a candid shot from RMAF 2018.

Obviously it resembles the KWI 200 and the face plate and controls will remain the same. The cover will be revised to allow greater cooling with more exposed heatsink area. The tubes may be inside the unit, mounted horizontally, with an access panel. But this gives you an idea.

Love it!  When you say the top may be modified, is it still going to have the logo?  My current amp has two 6922s in a 60 Watt set up, and the tubes don't get that hot.

Are you thinking next Spring for commercial models, realistically speaking?  I know you've said elsewhere that you were looking at the end of the year, but....?

modwright

« Reply #4 on: 14 Oct 2018, 07:35 pm »
I plan to keep the MWI logo, but the tubes may be installed under the hood, but still easily accessible.

Realistically speaking, I hope to be in full 100% production by early spring. Perhaps beta testing by the end of the year, but that is pretty optimistic.  Munich is an ABSOLUTE deadline! Actually the debut will likley be at Axpona in full production, followed by release in Europe at the Munich High End show.

More as this develops!

Dan

Joe Frances

« Reply #5 on: 14 Oct 2018, 11:44 pm »
I love my old Copland 60 Watt hybrid with 6922s, but it couldn't drive the new lower sensitivity monitors that I want to get  (either Harbeth P3 ESRs or Salk Silk Monitors both at about 83db) so I am really focusing on your new hybrid.  As you are looking to "voice" this integrated, can I expect to experience a natural, coherent, non-fatiguing "ease, or relaxed sound", and (perish the thought) maybe a touch of warmth from tubes; " but with power enough to drive either of those monitors?  That's my long-term goal.

modwright

« Reply #6 on: 15 Oct 2018, 05:17 pm »
Yes, the goal of this integrated amp is to have enough power for ALL speakers.
The tubes will add the magic that tubes add, including 3-D soundstage, body and musicality. They will not however, reduce high frequency or bass response and will not make the amp sound 'polite' or 'sweet'. I like tubes to do what they do best, impart a sonic signature that is unique to tubes. I am not after a vintage tube sound in any of our products.

I am very excited about this amp! The One Integrated to Rule them All! Or at least suit all speakers and systems!

Thanks,

Dan

Joe Frances

« Reply #7 on: 16 Oct 2018, 01:41 am »
Yes, the goal of this integrated amp is to have enough power for ALL speakers.
The tubes will add the magic that tubes add, including 3-D soundstage, body and musicality. They will not however, reduce high frequency or bass response and will not make the amp sound 'polite' or 'sweet'. I like tubes to do what they do best, impart a sonic signature that is unique to tubes. I am not after a vintage tube sound in any of our products.

I am very excited about this amp! The One Integrated to Rule them All! Or at least suit all speakers and systems!

Thanks,

Dan

Thanks.  I am excited too.