Tweeter Cap Mod for Reference 3A De Capo i !!!

Terry

Thanks Robert!
« Reply #20 on: 7 Mar 2004, 04:15 pm »
I guess I will give it another try. I never thought of removing the back plate.

he46570

« Reply #21 on: 17 Mar 2004, 12:29 am »
OK.  The caps have had over 2 weeks and over 100 hours to settle.

The results are still very positive.  For some weird reason, the sound became a little harsh after about 20 hours, but this went away after another 20 hours.  It now has apparently stabilized with the following (very subjective) benefits:
    Fantastic microdynamics.  Especially evident on close-miked voices and strings

Macrodyanmics enhanced.  Even kickdrums sound more dynamic for some reason.  Go figure.

Speed improved.  The Ref 3A is one of the fastest speakers I've ever heard, and this mod seems to make it even better.  I especially notice this listening to piano recordings - you can hear the hammer strike a lot clearer than before.

Shimmering highs.  I think the one great advantage of SACD is reproduction of high frequencies - take a listen to the remastered take 5 recording to the amazing cymbals.  the new caps make the CD vs SACD difference a lot clearer, and the highs are now glorious![/list:u]

All in all, I'm very happy with this mod.  Relatively cheap, very easy to implement, and fantastic results with no downsides I can see.  They are certainly going to be installed permanently in my speakers (I'll have to stop listening and take them apart again sooner or later)...

mcrespo71

« Reply #22 on: 17 Mar 2004, 04:33 am »
How much do the caps cost, Robert?

Michael

he46570

« Reply #23 on: 17 Mar 2004, 04:40 am »
I got the Dynamicaps from www.partsconnexion.com, since they can do matching.  They are $26.95 each, plus I think $1 per cap for matching.  

The copper foils are a little more expensive, and list at $30.90 each at the same site.

If you're interested, I have another pair of copper foils lying around you can use...

mcrespo71

« Reply #24 on: 17 Mar 2004, 06:27 am »
What's the difference between the dynamicaps and the copper caps?

Michael

he46570

« Reply #25 on: 17 Mar 2004, 12:36 pm »
If you read my post, I used the copper foils to bypass the Dynamicaps in order to accurately replicate the 5.17uF value of the original paper-in-oil cap.  Replacing it with just the Dynamicap, which has a nominal value of 5.00uF, is insufficient... that's why I used the bypass cap.

mcrespo71

« Reply #26 on: 17 Mar 2004, 09:15 pm »
Cool!  So if I order these dynamicaps, will you be able to help me put this together?- I'll buy the copper foils from you, Robert.  In the beginning of your audition, you felt the caps made the speakers slightly less strident without attenuating the highs.  Do you still think this is the case 100 hours in?

Michael

he46570

« Reply #27 on: 17 Mar 2004, 11:18 pm »
Hi, Michael.

Yes, I think this is still the case.  However, the definitive test would be comparing your speakers to mine... what we could do is perform an A/B comparison before you fork over any money for caps, then order the caps (which took only a couple of days to arrive) and install later.

Robert

mcrespo71

« Reply #28 on: 17 Mar 2004, 11:31 pm »
Ok, so how do we want to do this comparison?  Your place or mine?  I think we should post results here for others to read up on.  

Michael

he46570

« Reply #29 on: 18 Mar 2004, 02:22 am »
I'd like to be selfish and not have to lug my speakers over to your place... the trouble is timing.  I'm pretty packed this week and next week - perhaps the following weekend?

mcrespo71

« Reply #30 on: 18 Mar 2004, 02:44 am »
Robert,

OK, I'll schlep them over to your house for the comparison of your MM De Capo's on steroids to my "official" MM De Capo I's, but if I decide to do this mod, you will schlep your butt down to my place with your soldering iron and perform surgery on them at my place.  Sound like a deal?  I may be able to do it on Sunday of the following week.

Michael

PS. I'll provide the pizza and beer if you make your way down to my pad.

he46570

« Reply #31 on: 18 Mar 2004, 03:04 am »
Sounds like a plan.  Give me a PM and I'll let you know my contact details/address.

mcrespo71

« Reply #32 on: 18 Mar 2004, 03:12 am »
Cool!  And this provides yet another example of how the denizens of NYC are blazing a path for others to follow. 8)   Can Toronto and Wongstein, with soldering iron in hand, be far behind?  
 :wink:
Michael

Paul L

« Reply #33 on: 18 Mar 2004, 01:05 pm »
I would say having the comparison in Michael's place is more logical.

1).  As I said before, Robert's mod is to suit his system (at least for now) and is good to have it tried out in more systems to have the field-test.

2). Michael is the one who considering the mod so he need to know what change to his system in HIS system after the mod.

My 2 cents.

mcrespo71

« Reply #34 on: 18 Mar 2004, 01:21 pm »
Actually, Paul brings up a good point.  Hey, Robert, if I picked you and the De Capo's up in my GF's car, would you be willing to do the comparison in my house?  It does make sense for me to hear this mod IN MY system before commiting to it.

Michael

he46570

« Reply #35 on: 18 Mar 2004, 08:13 pm »
I didn't realize you had a car!  Sure, if you're willing to come pick me up, that's fine... do you know if there are any other differences between my upgraded De Capo's and your stock De Capo i's?

mcrespo71

« Reply #36 on: 18 Mar 2004, 09:11 pm »
I think Reference 3a stiffened the cabinet on mine, but I assume with your tweeter upgrade, we should have the same tweeter now.  Also, the "I"'s have the fancier Cardas speaker terminals on the back, which I guess are better.  We'll find out soon enough.  I don't have a car, but my girlfriend does.  Just got to convince her to use it.

Michael

wongstein

« Reply #37 on: 19 Mar 2004, 12:03 am »
Quote from: mcrespo71
Cool!  And this provides yet another example of how the denizens of NYC are blazing a path for others to follow. 8)   Can Toronto and Wongstein, with soldering iron in hand, be far behind?  
 :wink:
Michael

I wish we knew someone else in Toronto with De Capos.  I'd do the soldering if an A/B comparison with Chris' stock pair would come of it.

Anthony

CharlesL

« Reply #38 on: 19 Apr 2004, 12:08 am »

So has the comparison taken place yet? I've been reading through this whole thread and am eager to know how this all ended.

Jonathan

Another DeCapo "shootout."
« Reply #39 on: 19 Apr 2004, 04:24 am »
I got together with a couple of buddies yesterday to compare a friend's DeCapo i's to my old style DeCapos with upgraded tweeters and caps. While we were at it, we also compared his Anthem stack to my Unico integrated, as well as the sound of his Sony ES-222 CD/SACD player to our other buddy's much-raved-about-lately Toshiba 3960 CD player.

First and foremost, and not surprising, we all agreed that the sound of my upgraded speakers was VERY similar to his new ones. In truth, we were hard pressed to come up with anything significantly different sounding between them, although my two friends thought that mine may have sounded a bit "looser" or relaxed sounding, perhaps due to the fact that mine are going on three years old and are quite well broken in.  In truth, I did not really hear this difference. To my ears the speakers sounded pretty much the same and both sounded great.

We heard subtle differences between my Unico integrated and his Anthem stack. I thought I heard a bit cleaner sound through the Anthem stuff, along with a bit less forward presentation,while the Anthem owner thought the bass control in the Unico was an improvement over his rig. He also may have preferred the slightly more forward presentation of the Unico.  In spite of the fact that his rig is all tubes (vs. the hybrid Unico) I did not find it to sound considerably different from mine. Again, maybe a bit more laid back, but not considerably so. Again, all in all, the differences were subtle and I don't think either of us is ready to dump what we own to go buy the other guy's setup.

Finally, the comparison between the Toshiba and the ES-222 (both in stock form). Again, the differences were subtle, but this time we could all agree that the Sony player offered a more open sound with better air and space around the instruments. Especially onsidering the $60 price tag on the Toshiba, we all agreed that it was quite a decent sounding unit.

As far as the amps and digital sources go, I just wish I had a chance to audition something much higher up in the food chain to hear what the differences might be.  At this price point, I just don't think the differences between digital sources or amplification is going to be significant enough to justify any kind of lateral move.

As for the speakers--old or new, the DeCapos sound great. Whether or not there's something else out there that I'm going to like better remains to be seen (and heard).