Stinky, stinky speakers

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
Re: Stinky, stinky speakers
« Reply #20 on: 25 Jan 2019, 04:34 pm »
Thanks again All!

This is the plan. Tomorrow we’ll take apart the 107s again (yay, I love it!). We’ll bag the drivers. We’ll gently clean the fronts with febreeze and then put a wet rag of white vinegar in the bottom of the bags, careful not to touch the drivers. Then we’ll clean one cabinet with Frebreeze and the other with Borax. We’ll then bag each cabinet with a bowl of vinegar carefully placed in the bottoms. Then we’ll let sit in place until Sunday evening. Then we’ll inspect and if need be, repeat as necessay for a few days. 

The hoods (grills) we plan to move to the garage on Saturday and ‘tent’ with a VIVOHOME 3500 Sq/Ft Ozone Generator Air Purifier Ionizer . Repeat if needed.

If the cabinets still stink, we’ll tent with the Vivohome.

If the drivers still stink we may try a brief treatment with the Vivohome. My brother recommended using a SAD light and we’ll probably try that as well.

I’ll let you know next week how things turn out. I’m almost as exited as Bill is! Maybe this with get me back into 2 channel stereo. :thumb:

Bill sends you all his thanks and thinks you’re very smart and kind people. I assured him you are.

Regards,
KP

« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2019, 08:23 pm by Kenneth Patchen »

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #21 on: 25 Jan 2019, 05:45 pm »
Kenneth, why are you guys so convinced there's mold inside the cabinets?  Was it damp/black inside when you opened them up? What did you do with the sticky/smelly foam fill, put it back inside?

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #22 on: 25 Jan 2019, 08:38 pm »
Hi Rusty,
It’s more a mildew/basement smell than a mold problem. There is a small section of black staining on the
interior wall but I couldn’t say for sure that was mold. More of a very strong mildew smell.

Some of the foam we tossed. However there’s 2 large round round pieces of foam that we’ll try to keep and will include them in the ozone tenting for the hoods.

Regards,
KP

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #23 on: 25 Jan 2019, 08:44 pm »
The black stuff is Mold.  Just mu $.02 is don't forget it can be toxic to some folks and critters, just like audio :dance:

Daniel-J

« Reply #24 on: 31 Mar 2020, 04:10 am »
You need chemist's advice here, it'll be the fastest. The important thing is that they don't smell like one of these. My friend's grill started to stink like this. I don't understand why maybe paint or something. He was cooking next to his garage, a few months later the smell remained.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #25 on: 31 Mar 2020, 11:48 am »
The thread is over a year old, I'm sure the problem has either been resolved or the speakers disposed of.

M66chevelle

« Reply #26 on: 30 Jun 2020, 02:26 am »
You could also try white pigmented shellac. That will seal it after cleaning and take care of your speaker odor once and for all.