SST2 vs SST

werd

Re: SST2 vs SST
« Reply #40 on: 14 Aug 2010, 08:07 am »
No problem. Hopefully when I'm ready to buy, you will be too.

Go get it right now buddy  :thumb:

Wallacefl

« Reply #41 on: 14 Aug 2010, 03:47 pm »
This is another one of those highly subjective loaded with variables arguments that pervade audio forums everywhere.  That being said there are some very highly trained ears in the audio business (e.g. Michael Fremer among others) that have reported noticeable differences between the 14/7B SST2's with and without the new transformer and capacitors.  This begs the question, which 14B SST2 were you comparing to the SST?  SN 00677 and above have the new stuff so if you're comparing a sub 00677 14BSST2 there would be less difference between it and the SST's.
unknown as to serial #'s but glad you and Fremer are gifted enough to see thru do double blind curtain.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #42 on: 14 Aug 2010, 07:46 pm »
Go get it right now buddy  :thumb:

haha I wish!

95Dyna

« Reply #43 on: 15 Aug 2010, 02:26 am »
unknown as to serial #'s but glad you and Fremer are gifted enough to see thru do double blind curtain.

This response is borderline incoherent with respect to the point I was making.  Nowhere did I indicate I have listened to a 14B SST or a pre or post 00677 14BSST2.  I was just asking if your comparison of the 14B SST to the 14B SST2 was to a pre or post 00677 14B SST2.   I wasn't even criticising your comment just requesting clarification for the benefit of all thread participants.  Michael Fremer is a gifted listener by anybody's measure.  I am not and have neer claimed to be.  I would encourage you to grow a tougher skin and not be so sensitive.  It is counterproductive to the spirit of this forum.

KeithA

« Reply #44 on: 15 Aug 2010, 03:47 pm »
This response is borderline incoherent with respect to the point I was making.  Nowhere did I indicate I have listened to a 14B SST or a pre or post 00677 14BSST2.  I was just asking if your comparison of the 14B SST to the 14B SST2 was to a pre or post 00677 14B SST2.   I wasn't even criticising your comment just requesting clarification for the benefit of all thread participants.  Michael Fremer is a gifted listener by anybody's measure.  I am not and have neer claimed to be.  I would encourage you to grow a tougher skin and not be so sensitive.  It is counterproductive to the spirit of this forum.

In all fairness to the OP, your response certainly can be interpreted as a negative repsonse to his experience of finding the amps to be very similar.

"This is another one of those highly subjective loaded with variables arguments that pervade audio forums everywhere."

Even though you may have been trying to 'clarify' the serial # issue for the forum, in general, perhaps you could have worded your response a little more clearly so that it wouldn't be misunderstood. You could have simply asked "Was your comparison of the amps pre or post S/N XXXXX"). The OP obviously interpreted your response differently than you appear to have intended. I actually had the same interpretation as the OP.

You might want to think about how you are wording your responses before chastizing another on this forum...it's counterproductive to the spirit of this forum  :wink:

Keith

vegasdave

« Reply #45 on: 15 Aug 2010, 04:01 pm »
Come on, let's get along here! Remember, it's us Bryston owners against the (audiophile) world. haha. :D

1oldguy

« Reply #46 on: 15 Aug 2010, 04:06 pm »
Come on, let's get along here! Remember, it's us Bryston owners against the (audiophile) world. haha. :D

I agree....There is always a polite way of disagreeing with others.Lets keep our Tommy-Hawks at hip level. :nono: :thumb:
« Last Edit: 15 Aug 2010, 06:14 pm by 1oldguy »

Wallacefl

« Reply #47 on: 15 Aug 2010, 09:37 pm »
:thumb:...why did I put "do" in that response..bad day?...love my 14bsst...compared it to Krell, Conrad Johnson 350, Mac 501, and Rotel 1090 before buying. I use it with Martin Logan CLSZ2...maybe the "2"s with some ML Summits someday?

rahman

« Reply #48 on: 16 Aug 2010, 10:36 am »
Hate to be the contrarian but I got to compare the 14Bsst to the 14Bsst2 and I felt the differences were minor ....treble range was very very slightly more refined (but reticent?) on the sst2...both are wonderful. It seems dubious when people claim huge sonic changes ...especially with amplifiers like these that are at such a high  level of refinement. I would grant you that if you move out several generations ie: st-sst-sst2 "things" will be more pronouced.

Hi

Thanks for your upfront comments/impressions. Much appreciated.  :D

Cheers
Adrian

vegasdave

« Reply #49 on: 16 Aug 2010, 09:57 pm »
:thumb:...why did I put "do" in that response..bad day?...love my 14bsst...compared it to Krell, Conrad Johnson 350, Mac 501, and Rotel 1090 before buying. I use it with Martin Logan CLSZ2...maybe the "2"s with some ML Summits someday?

Cool!

klao

« Reply #50 on: 5 Sep 2010, 07:13 pm »

1oldguy

« Reply #51 on: 5 Sep 2010, 09:48 pm »
Just saw this review:

http://www.10audio.com/bryston_3bsst2_4bsst2_7bsst2.htm

Cheers!

This is an excellent review.
I had a couple guys over yesterday and they were both very happy with my 7B and 802D performance.They brought along all cables(since I have none) and preamp and CD player.They both agreed that no matter the volume there was no hint of strain at all.

vegasdave

« Reply #52 on: 7 Sep 2010, 02:02 am »

klao

« Reply #53 on: 7 Sep 2010, 07:25 pm »
Yes, very cool indeed.  That review and e-mail correspondence with the reviewer (Jerry) are like the "last straw" that prompted me to make a deposit payment on a pair of pre-owned 7B-SST/2 later today!

I'll have to sell many other gear of mine (Maggies center & surround speakers, Onkyo AVR, JL subwoofer, ICE-power amps, a pair of PSB Synchrony 1B, NAD integrated) to finance this dream purchase.   :D

Cool review. Thanks for posting.

vegasdave

« Reply #54 on: 8 Sep 2010, 01:34 am »
Alright! congratulations!