SST2 vs SST

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
Re: SST2 vs SST
« Reply #20 on: 11 Aug 2010, 11:14 pm »
If/when you move up to the 14B SST2, make me a good deal on your 4B SST.  :thumb:

werd

« Reply #21 on: 12 Aug 2010, 12:56 am »
The cap up grade in the 4Bsst/2 took off the bright glare when compared to the sst model. It has really nice low volume playback and offered me better control of my volume control. The 14B has more upgrades in the sst/2 series than the 4B. The new 14Bs use a new transformer from Torus. I didnt own a 14sst but i can only imagine the difference is larger in upgrade from the 4B perspective.  I can tell you that the new 14Bs play excellent at all volumes. 

Mag

« Reply #22 on: 12 Aug 2010, 03:12 am »
Werd, you're are going to have to come over for another listen so that you can verify for these fine folks the 30% improvement in the sound. With the addition of the Monster AV2000 the sound improvement is probably closer to 50%. :weights:

You can handle another 100 decibels session? :hyper:

werd

« Reply #23 on: 12 Aug 2010, 03:34 am »
Werd, you're are going to have to come over for another listen so that you can verify for these fine folks the 30% improvement in the sound. With the addition of the Monster AV2000 the sound improvement is probably closer to 50%. :weights:

:lol:   :thumb:

Levi

« Reply #24 on: 12 Aug 2010, 05:15 am »
Congrats!

rahman

« Reply #25 on: 12 Aug 2010, 09:43 am »
Hello to all
some of you have answered questions I haven't asked, though your views are worth a penny of my time ( :wink:).
My question concerned the 14B SST2 (as compared with its predecessor, the plain vanilla SST). The first digit in the integer seems to have been overlooked by most of the comments above.
From this exchange so far and others on this forum (and elsewhere), I get the impression that the 'squared' upgrade is not a one-off success (talk of boomy bass, 'leisurely' (rather than 'dynamic', 'bracing') sound ....). The point Nobel makes concerning a change of cable within the system is crucial; we are after all talking implicitly about the law of diminishing returns. The SST series was thought to be premium stuff, now we have squared and soon no doubt yet again a squared (what's the algorithm here?)
If the original platform remains roughly unchanged can these incremental mods do more than impact the bank account?

Hi

Another thing to consider is the difference between the new 14Bsq and the previous  pre- and post-choke mod 14B-SST.

I'm kinda in the same boat as I've got a post-choke 14B-SST and am curious about the nature and level of performance increase with the new 14B-SQ.

Any views welcome.

Cheers
Adrian

Napalm

« Reply #26 on: 12 Aug 2010, 10:21 pm »
I agree that going from the 4B ST series to the new SST2 version was a big step up in sound quality as well as refinement of the high frequencies which could get very very harsh at times though my 800 series B&W's.  I can now really turn up the volume and listen for much longer periods of time without the fatigue that would ensue with the older series. 

To me piano was more realistic through the SST. The SST2 is more polite to the point of sounding a little muffled.

Yes I know very well how a real piano sounds. But then it might be the recording too - these days they are kind of polite.

Nap.

werd

« Reply #27 on: 12 Aug 2010, 10:49 pm »
To me piano was more realistic through the SST. The SST2 is more polite to the point of sounding a little muffled.

Yes I know very well how a real piano sounds. But then it might be the recording too - these days they are kind of polite.

Nap.

Hi Nap

You need to get rid of those panamax conditioners dude...... The 4Bsq does not sound muffled by any measure. Its your AC delivery thats doing that not the amp. The sst is bright enought to offset the distortion that your Panamax are putting out.

Napalm

« Reply #28 on: 12 Aug 2010, 10:57 pm »
Hi Nap

You need to get rid of those panamax conditioners dude...... The 4Bsq does not sound muffled by any measure. Its your AC delivery thats doing that not the amp. The sst is bright enought to offset the distortion that your Panamax are putting out.

:lol:

werd

« Reply #29 on: 12 Aug 2010, 10:58 pm »

1oldguy

« Reply #30 on: 12 Aug 2010, 11:06 pm »
Anyone needing a 7Bsst SQ factory sealed I will be selling one for 3K Firm.Interested PM me.Need to get myself a decent TT.MY loss is your gain.

ian.ameline

« Reply #31 on: 12 Aug 2010, 11:23 pm »
3K for a new 7B SST2? That's a great deal....

(not looking myself) Whoever buys it will need a second one (unless they're going old-school mono :-) )

1oldguy

« Reply #32 on: 12 Aug 2010, 11:27 pm »
I have 5...One has to go ...Giving up on the idea of HT,no Room.......So it's priced very low because I'm selling the one.Going 2 Channel AUDIO,MY FIRST LOVE.It has the  new Transformer and caps.Though I haven't laid eyes on the thing. :thumb:(Factory Sealed)
« Last Edit: 13 Aug 2010, 01:22 pm by 1oldguy »

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #33 on: 13 Aug 2010, 10:36 am »
Anyone needing a 7Bsst SQ factory sealed I will be selling one for 3K Firm.Interested PM me.Need to get myself a decent TT.MY loss is your gain.

Darn... Had you lived in Europe and the amp was set for 230 volts it would have been sold right now...

James, is it very difficult to change the voltage? Is it a matter of a few wires on the transformer, or is it a lot more than that?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #34 on: 13 Aug 2010, 10:58 am »
Darn... Had you lived in Europe and the amp was set for 230 volts it would have been sold right now...

James, is it very difficult to change the voltage? Is it a matter of a few wires on the transformer, or is it a lot more than that?

A fair bit more because of parts changes ae well.

james

Wallacefl

« Reply #35 on: 13 Aug 2010, 06:31 pm »
Hate to be the contrarian but I got to compare the 14Bsst to the 14Bsst2 and I felt the differences were minor ....treble range was very very slightly more refined (but reticent?) on the sst2...both are wonderful. It seems dubious when people claim huge sonic changes ...especially with amplifiers like these that are at such a high  level of refinement. I would grant you that if you move out several generations ie: st-sst-sst2 "things" will be more pronouced.

95Dyna

« Reply #36 on: 13 Aug 2010, 08:37 pm »
Hate to be the contrarian but I got to compare the 14Bsst to the 14Bsst2 and I felt the differences were minor ....treble range was very very slightly more refined (but reticent?) on the sst2...both are wonderful. It seems dubious when people claim huge sonic changes ...especially with amplifiers like these that are at such a high  level of refinement. I would grant you that if you move out several generations ie: st-sst-sst2 "things" will be more pronouced.

This is another one of those highly subjective loaded with variables arguments that pervade audio forums everywhere.  That being said there are some very highly trained ears in the audio business (e.g. Michael Fremer among others) that have reported noticeable differences between the 14/7B SST2's with and without the new transformer and capacitors.  This begs the question, which 14B SST2 were you comparing to the SST?  SN 00677 and above have the new stuff so if you're comparing a sub 00677 14BSST2 there would be less difference between it and the SST's.

Napalm

« Reply #37 on: 13 Aug 2010, 11:32 pm »
Very sensitive guy indeed. He allegedly can hear the difference between raw and demagnetized vinyl.

Nap.  :rotflmao:

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #38 on: 14 Aug 2010, 03:06 am »
Yeah, what a joke.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #39 on: 14 Aug 2010, 03:07 am »
If/when you move up to the 14B SST2, make me a good deal on your 4B SST.  :thumb:

No problem. Hopefully when I'm ready to buy, you will be too.