SST2 vs SST

maligue

SST2 vs SST
« on: 10 Aug 2010, 06:25 am »
I have the option of purchasing a 14B SST dealer demo, little used according to him. Nice price. The question to those in the know : is the SST 2 (squared) model a major improvement over the earlier design?

Thanks in advance  :thumb:

Mag

Re: SST2 vs SST
« Reply #1 on: 10 Aug 2010, 01:54 pm »
In my subjective opinion there is a 20-30% improvement. However I found using my Yamaha av/receiver as a pre-amp, that it can't process the extra bass resolution of the SST2 cleanly in 2 channel direct stereo, sounding a tad boomy. So in my opinion the pre-amp you are using has to be considered with the SST2.

Had no issues with boomy bass with SST.

maligue

« Reply #2 on: 10 Aug 2010, 04:43 pm »
your point concerning the peamp generalizes to the question of system synergy - to be sure, but nevertheless in noting the "20-30% improvement" you seem to be speaking about the SST2 as such, taken for itself. I am curious to know what the characteristics of the SST2 are that make up the improvement ratio, and in what way they better the earlier SST performance
By the way, I do run a BP26 line as well as a Prima Luna tubed preamp (which is just wonderful both with Nuforce Ref 9 V3 SE and a little known power amp from the UK, the Alner Hamblin SA400)

Mag

« Reply #3 on: 11 Aug 2010, 12:33 am »
your point concerning the peamp generalizes to the question of system synergy - to be sure, but nevertheless in noting the "20-30% improvement" you seem to be speaking about the SST2 as such, taken for itself. I am curious to know what the characteristics of the SST2 are that make up the improvement ratio, and in what way they better the earlier SST performance
By the way, I do run a BP26 line as well as a Prima Luna tubed preamp (which is just wonderful both with Nuforce Ref 9 V3 SE and a little known power amp from the UK, the Alner Hamblin SA400)

I answered your questions in post/s in the past. I'll try to recall what I wrote.

First of all I have an unconventional multi-channel stereo setup. I primarily listen in multi-channel stereo with the Yamaha 7 channel enhancer engaged.

Prior to getting the 3B SST2 I was listening in 2 channel pure direct with the 3B SST, which was very good. When the 3B SST2 arrived, I was planning to do a direct comparison. Faced with the daunting task of sorting out all the jumbo of wires. I said the heck with it and just swapped the amps around.

I placed the 3B SST2 on the fronts for which I have two sets of speakers hooked to it. Moved the 3B SST to surrounds and 3B ST to front and rear channel.

Right off the bat I could discern a noticeable difference in bass resolution. It wasn't a marginal difference that I needed a db test to confirm. The bass was articulate to live like sound of a bass guitar in a bar setting. And it had what I called vibe, I could feel the vibe. Also apparent was the controlled highs, particularly through my B&W 602 S3, which before could be described as harsh with glare. But now that was gone. Less noticeable was improved midrange and highs, which became more apparent after adjusting to the new sound over the coarse of a few weeks. Yet the SST2 still retains the Bryston sound of previous amps.

Then it became apparent the SST2 was processing details the SST wasn't, played through the BCD-1.

So I tried to put a percentage estimate on the sound improvement, I was hearing in multi-channel stereo. It wasn't a marginal difference, nor was it a whole new sound. Just improved resolution on the SST, which I pegged around 30%. However as you are probably thinking, part of the estimation is skewed by improved bass performance on the surrounds, which is partly true. However I spend over 30 hours a week listening and quite sure the attributes belong to the SST2, which I wasn't hearing prior to that.

In two channel pure direct mode on the Yamaha av/receiver, I preferred the SST over the SST2, because as I mentioned the bass was boomy. Which I don't hear in multi-channel mode. :?

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #4 on: 11 Aug 2010, 12:56 am »
I bought the Bryston 4B-SSt2 along with a Bryston BP-26 and 1.5 phono this early spring.
I would go for the 2 if you own a BP-26.
The biggest upgrade from the SST to the SST2 is the refinement of the treble, (anf the entire spectrum) But the treble really is the winner in the SST2, and with your BP-26 you WILL notice the difference.
If you can save $2,000. well.... Hmmm but if it is only a thousand, definitely got for the 4B-SST2 and you should be able to get a XX% discount on the SST2.. anyway. SO if the dealer is offering only a little deal on the SST (plus you gotta remember HE got the SST before the last 2 price increases). get the XX% off the SST2 and BUY IT.
(Disclaimer: NO one ever gave me any deal...cough cough. on any Bryston gear, ever.)
ADDED: the confusion between 4B and 14B starts with me right in this post. Sorry for the added confusion.
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2010, 04:49 am by Elizabeth »

VOLKS

« Reply #5 on: 11 Aug 2010, 01:24 am »
I bought the Bryston 4B-SSt2 along with a Bryston BP-26 and 1.5 phono this early spring.
I would go for the 2 if you own a BP-26.
The biggest upgrade from the SST to the SST2 is the refinement of the treble, (anf the entire spectrum) But the treble really is the winner in the SST2, and with your BP-26 you WILL notice the difference.
If you can save $2,000. well.... Hmmm but if it is only a thousand, definitely got for the 4B-SST2 and you should be able to get a XX% discount on the SST2.. anyway. SO if the dealer is offering only a little deal on the SST (plus you gotta remember HE got the SST before the last 2 price increases). get the XX% off the SST2 and BUY IT.
(Disclaimer: NO one ever gave me any deal...cough cough. on any Bryston gear, ever.)

Did you ask for a deal?

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #6 on: 11 Aug 2010, 01:31 am »
A Lady shouldn't have to ask.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #7 on: 11 Aug 2010, 01:53 am »
Exactly.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #8 on: 11 Aug 2010, 02:19 am »
I have know my local dealer for near on thirty years. I will not go into details of my purchase more than to say i am satisfied with my dealings with my local Bryston dealer.
I was VERY glad when he took on the Magnepan brand again, after many years, so I could buy the Magnepan 3.6s along with the Bryston gear from him.
If I had to blow approx. twenty grand somewhere, good i got to give it to him...
There are other dealers in the area, but only one of them would be a place i would spend big money. (that dealer sells Audio Research, which was more expensive new, than my taste* would allow)*my wallet!
The 'cough cough' in my prior post is SUPPOSED to be a clue.....

dspgolf

« Reply #9 on: 11 Aug 2010, 02:45 am »
I agree that going from the 4B ST series to the new SST2 version was a big step up in sound quality as well as refinement of the high frequencies which could get very very harsh at times though my 800 series B&W's.  I can now really turn up the volume and listen for much longer periods of time without the fatigue that would ensue with the older series.  Resolution is also way improved in the new version! Soft and loud passages are really more distinct and bass is much more refined as well as more defined by comparison.

I'm very happy to have been able to upgrade to the new bp-26 as well!  I think Bryston makes some fabulous equipment that truly does compete with amps and preamps that cost considerably more money. I did look and listen to other products but Bryston's 20 year warranty and their reputation for durability and bullet proof reliability totally won me over at the end of the day.  I know they will be around to cover that warranty and that makes me very happy!!  Always talk bryston up any chance I'm given!   :D

vegasdave

« Reply #10 on: 11 Aug 2010, 03:48 am »
I agree that going from the 4B ST series to the new SST2 version was a big step up in sound quality as well as refinement of the high frequencies which could get very very harsh at times though my 800 series B&W's.  I can now really turn up the volume and listen for much longer periods of time without the fatigue that would ensue with the older series.  Resolution is also way improved in the new version! Soft and loud passages are really more distinct and bass is much more refined as well as more defined by comparison.

I'm very happy to have been able to upgrade to the new bp-26 as well!  I think Bryston makes some fabulous equipment that truly does compete with amps and preamps that cost considerably more money. I did look and listen to other products but Bryston's 20 year warranty and their reputation for durability and bullet proof reliability totally won me over at the end of the day.  I know they will be around to cover that warranty and that makes me very happy!!  Always talk bryston up any chance I'm given!   :D

:thumb:

nobel

« Reply #11 on: 11 Aug 2010, 02:53 pm »

My set up is all bryston including BP226,  4Bsst with Pmc obi. At some stage i felt that i should replace with the 4 bssts sq as i was under the impression that the 30% difference would go a long way. I was not impressed on listerning . I went home and changed the expensive cable between Cd and pre amp and boy the whole system came alive in which i got 100% difference which i am sticking to. Just love the sound. In fact my Bsst improved immensly. Just goes to show that it is best to maximise improvements on what you have before paying a hefty price. The Bsst squared was introduced two months after i purchased the Bsst from new. i will not change it now that i am happy with the sound. The treble is sweet not firece and the bass is tuneful. Cant ask for anything more.

Levi

« Reply #12 on: 11 Aug 2010, 03:17 pm »
In my subjective opinion there is a 20-30% improvement. However I found using my Yamaha av/receiver as a pre-amp, that it can't process the extra bass resolution of the SST2 cleanly in 2 channel direct stereo, sounding a tad boomy. So in my opinion the pre-amp you are using has to be considered with the SST2.

Had no issues with boomy bass with SST.

Hey Mag, that doesn't sound like a 30% improvement with your original statement that states it is tad boomy?!?   :lol:

maligue

« Reply #13 on: 11 Aug 2010, 05:17 pm »
Hello to all
some of you have answered questions I haven't asked, though your views are worth a penny of my time ( :wink:).
My question concerned the 14B SST2 (as compared with its predecessor, the plain vanilla SST). The first digit in the integer seems to have been overlooked by most of the comments above.
From this exchange so far and others on this forum (and elsewhere), I get the impression that the 'squared' upgrade is not a one-off success (talk of boomy bass, 'leisurely' (rather than 'dynamic', 'bracing') sound ....). The point Nobel makes concerning a change of cable within the system is crucial; we are after all talking implicitly about the law of diminishing returns. The SST series was thought to be premium stuff, now we have squared and soon no doubt yet again a squared (what's the algorithm here?)
If the original platform remains roughly unchanged can these incremental mods do more than impact the bank account?

Mag

« Reply #14 on: 11 Aug 2010, 06:54 pm »
Hey Mag, that doesn't sound like a 30% improvement with your original statement that states it is tad boomy?!?   :lol:

As I mentioned, I primarily listen in multi-channel stereo. My evaluation is based on the improvements in that application. Anyway I hadn't listen to 2 channel stereo which my new power conditioner, so I gave that a go last night. The bass is much more palitable, but there still is an element of boom that I'm not hearing in MC. Which I attribute to a weak pre-amp and not the 3B SST2. In MC the bass is processed differently which is why it sounds more articulate than in 2 channel mode. :smoke:

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #15 on: 11 Aug 2010, 07:06 pm »
"multi-channel stereo"  huh?  :scratch:

Isn't it one or the other???

vegasdave

« Reply #16 on: 11 Aug 2010, 07:46 pm »
Hello to all
some of you have answered questions I haven't asked, though your views are worth a penny of my time ( :wink:).
My question concerned the 14B SST2 (as compared with its predecessor, the plain vanilla SST). The first digit in the integer seems to have been overlooked by most of the comments above.
From this exchange so far and others on this forum (and elsewhere), I get the impression that the 'squared' upgrade is not a one-off success (talk of boomy bass, 'leisurely' (rather than 'dynamic', 'bracing') sound ....). The point Nobel makes concerning a change of cable within the system is crucial; we are after all talking implicitly about the law of diminishing returns. The SST series was thought to be premium stuff, now we have squared and soon no doubt yet again a squared (what's the algorithm here?)
If the original platform remains roughly unchanged can these incremental mods do more than impact the bank account?

The new 14B has new transformers and capacitors. You really need to go out and hear for yourself!

vegasdave

« Reply #17 on: 11 Aug 2010, 07:48 pm »
My set up is all bryston including BP226,  4Bsst with Pmc obi. At some stage i felt that i should replace with the 4 bssts sq as i was under the impression that the 30% difference would go a long way. I was not impressed on listerning . I went home and changed the expensive cable between Cd and pre amp and boy the whole system came alive in which i got 100% difference which i am sticking to. Just love the sound. In fact my Bsst improved immensly. Just goes to show that it is best to maximise improvements on what you have before paying a hefty price. The Bsst squared was introduced two months after i purchased the Bsst from new. i will not change it now that i am happy with the sound. The treble is sweet not firece and the bass is tuneful. Cant ask for anything more.

Nice system! I feel the squared series is more refined and technically superior. However, the regular old SST is no slouch.

nobel

« Reply #18 on: 11 Aug 2010, 08:02 pm »

Sorry vegas

That is the whole point. When you say technically  better and more refined that to my ears means  that the sound becomes too safe and may i say boring. For me to upgrade the power amp i would like to hear a significant improvement which means if i had the money i would for example but the 28 bsst, But to change for a squared version within the same model is not worth it. I f my 4bsst could be modified to slightly improve the sound that i have, then for a small sum i might consider it but to change for a squared version would not be warrented . I rather buy a heap of cds and enjoy what i have.

vegasdave

« Reply #19 on: 11 Aug 2010, 08:48 pm »
Good point. I'm not looking to upgrade from the 4BSST either at this time. However, if I had the money, I would probably get the 14BSST2.

Of course buying more music and sound recordings should be precedent. That's number one in my book. In my case, it's vinyl. haha.