Which Byrston preamp is best suited for me?

alpsy

« on: 18 Apr 2006, 01:34 am »
hi all,

we would like to purchase a preamp that has a HT bypass. plan is to have a serious 2ch preamp for stereo listening and a good quality av receiver for HT. In either case all the power will be channelled to Bryston amps :)

we had a quick look at the BP20 & BP25 and although confused by all the derivatives discounted them all as they have no bypass.

little new to the whole balanced channels thing having always used rca's in the past so will be led by you guys in this respect.

reason for getting seperates (ie, 2ch and avr) over the sp2 for eg is because we are confident that the 2ch amp will give us many many years of use whereas with the ever changing technology of HT receivers we would prefer to get a cutting edge "mass produced" technology/featured model and upgrade every few years.

would also appreciate some tips on how to integrate all this together.

cheers,

julie

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2006, 12:41 pm »
Hi Julie,

The Bryston BP16 has HT bypass (Programmable Pass-through feature)

http://www.bryston.ca/bp16_m.html

james

antt

« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr 2006, 04:16 am »
Quote from: alpsy
we would prefer to get a cutting edge "mass produced" technology/featured model and upgrade every few years.

I'm afraid I don't follow you.  :|  Are there mass produced receiver manufacturers offering regular upgrades now, or is it simply cheaper to buy replacement mass-produced receivers every few years rather than upgrade an SP ?

alpsy

« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2006, 07:17 am »
Quote from: antt
we would prefer to get a cutting edge "mass produced" technology/featured model and upgrade every few years.

I'm afraid I don't follow you.  :|  Are there mass produced receiver manufacturers offering regular upgrades now, or is it simply cheaper to buy replacement mass-produced receivers every few years rather than upgrade an SP ?

what im saying is that ideally we would like something like a BP25 (but unfortunately it does not have a bypass) and something like a yamaha 2600 or similar that has all the bells and whistles for HT listening that we would upgrage every 12-18 months or as new technology comes out. Something like the BP25 on the other hand will probably last as long as the amps :)

cheers,

julie

antt

« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2006, 03:10 am »
So I guess this means you really want an outboard pre-amp for 2 channel audio, right?  :)  I think this will be easier to do than getting an upgradeable receiver.  The major reason I got an SP 1.7 was because the receiver manufacturers didn’t offer upgrades.  Well-they did, sorta.  Either you could get software upgrades (only Onkyo at the time) or they SAID they would offer a hardware upgrade (Denon - at the time).  Denon did offer a hardware upgrade on the 5800.  Unfortunately it was 1 year after the initial release (far too soon for me to consider upgrading), the upgrade was a limited time offer (six months, I think, but not sure) and then it was over.  Period.  No more upgrades.  You wanna upgrade, buy a new model.  :roll:

I decided to buy an SP 1.7 so I could upgrade whenever I was ready to.  I personally don’t miss any of the bells and whistles because I ended up never using em.  So please be careful about upgrades when choosing your receiver. If you choose a processor in place of a receiver, I believe many manufacturers offer upgrade plans for those (it seems to be the norm).  Good luck! 8)

alpsy

« Reply #5 on: 21 Apr 2006, 05:54 am »
Quote from: James Tanner
Hi Julie,

The Bryston BP16 has HT bypass (Programmable Pass-through feature)

http://www.bryston.ca/bp16_m.html

james

Thanks James,

Will the BP6 have the bypass also like the BP60?

Julie

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 21 Apr 2006, 11:15 am »
NO the BP16 is the only stereo preamp with the pass-through feature.

james

alpsy

« Reply #7 on: 24 Apr 2006, 09:02 am »
thanks,

also, does the bp16 and sp2 use the same DAC?

thanks,

julie

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 24 Apr 2006, 11:14 am »
thanks,

also, does the bp16 and sp2 use the same DAC?

thanks,

julie

Hi Julie,

Yes - same DAC- Crystal - but the BP16 is only PCM Stereo decoding.

james