Which Music Player Am I Using with BDP-1?

NMG

Which Music Player Am I Using with BDP-1?
« on: 11 Sep 2012, 02:13 pm »
This question was triggered by an Art Dudley comment about how iTunes is an inferior music player fior digital music, as well as my technical ignorance.

I keep almost all my music on computer in iTunes in ALAC format because I use my iPod and iPhone a lot to listen to music. I copy my iTunes library to the HDD attached to the BDP-1, as well as some HiRes music kept in a file separate from iTunes.

When I play music from my BDP-1 into my DAC, an I using the iTunes music player, or one proprietary to Bryston, or what? I ask because if, e.g., JRiver is a better player and that is what the BDP-1 would be using, I can easily switch, though it would just add one more complication. But would it make a difference?

Thanks for response(s).

Neal :scratch:

ronman

Re: Which Music Player Am I Using with BDP-1?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2012, 09:14 am »
From what I understand the BDP-1 is the part that's actually PLAYING the music. The interface you use - from computer, tablet or iphone should'nt change the quality of the music (the CHOICE of format may...mp3, ALAC, FLAC or WAV). The only difference between one interface and another is how pretty and smooth it operates. The samsung tablet (andriod) app does the job well, but the ipad app does a "nicer" job as shows more information per and shows the cover-art real nice. So I just use whichever tablet is closest to my seat.

Marius

« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2012, 12:18 pm »
Hi,

You can use iTunes to play files on your PC/Macbook, and output that to your Dac. They can be stored on your PC/Macbook or on a NAS. (Even attached to your BDP1, but that would be rather farfetched)
You can use the BDP1 with several software options to play music stored on hdd/usb thumbs attached to the BDP1 or on a NAS, which works wonders lately.

You can not use Itunes to play files on your BDP1. (unless there is a MPD-server addin for itunes I don't know of yet of course...) SInce u use the iPad, people seem to agree that the wonderful Mpad is one of the easiest and most beautiful options.

Cheers!
Marius

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2012, 12:44 pm »
Neal, the "P" in BDP-1 stands for player.  The BDP-1 is a hardware player (it uses a Linux OS called MPD which has an embedded player capability, part of the minimalism that makes it sound good), and doesn't use or require any software player like i-Tunes, J River etc.  You can use the front display of the BDP-1 to see what you are playing.  However, far more popular is to use a remote GUI that talks to Voyage MPD across wifi, etc.  The iPad app called mPad (as Marius points out) is a great remote GUI.  It's like $3, but there are other choices on a browser or ipod/smartphone that are free.  You choose..it's simply a GUI that formats your albums, artists, etc.  Again, the player is in the BDP-1.

NMG

« Reply #4 on: 21 Sep 2012, 02:23 pm »
Thanks to all. This clarifies what I was thinking.

I don't have an iPad so I use the MPOD app on my iPhone to control to BDP-1, or I use Gnome on my PC, which I prefer. I wish Gnome had an iPhone app.

Regards,

Neal