Evolution DAC

Samoyed

Re: Evolution DAC
« Reply #120 on: 10 Jan 2019, 08:48 pm »
Well, now I feel better.... :(

So, what do you think about pairing this DAC with two st10ms?  I can't hide the cost of two Evolution ones, nor justify them with KEF R900’s.

rustydoglim

« Reply #121 on: 10 Jan 2019, 08:53 pm »
It is hard to get any better than this DAC, and ST-10M are very good, next to Evolution One.  Definitely works well.
Evolution DAC and STA-9 would not be a good match since STA-9 is warmer and not quite in the same level as the Evolution series.

Samoyed

« Reply #122 on: 10 Jan 2019, 08:59 pm »
Thanks. Now, the plotting begins. 🙀

John Casler

« Reply #123 on: 10 Jan 2019, 11:39 pm »
Well, now I feel better.... :(

So, what do you think about pairing this DAC with two st10ms?  I can't hide the cost of two Evolution ones, nor justify them with KEF R900’s.

That would be a wonderful idea (pair of ST10M), but if you can find buyers for the Kinki and Rotel, I think we could possibly get you into the EVO ONES.

:thumb:

Samoyed

« Reply #124 on: 10 Jan 2019, 11:48 pm »
Yikes!   :thumb:

JackD

« Reply #125 on: 11 Jan 2019, 12:15 am »
I hope you can pull it off as I have an ST-10 and the Kinki.

Samoyed

« Reply #126 on: 11 Jan 2019, 12:20 am »
Me, too. If I get caught, I’m sunk. But, it is said confession is good for the soul. I’ll tell you the Evolution DAC is so good as a preamp it is shocking. It’s too bad the Kinki doesn’t let you bypass the preamp. But, I’d probably go all Nuprime anyway.

So, now, how to sell a Rotel RC 1590, RB 1590, RCD 1572 and a Kinki EX M1? :duh:

JackD

« Reply #127 on: 11 Jan 2019, 01:48 am »
Don't know about the Rotel gear but the Kinki should be easy.

Samoyed

« Reply #128 on: 11 Jan 2019, 01:59 am »
Where to start....

JackD

« Reply #129 on: 11 Jan 2019, 02:40 am »
I think I'd list the Rotel gear first as a package deal here, A'gon and US Audiomart and break it up if you have to and then sell the Kinki after you get the new amps from John.  The Kinki is in a price range used where there should be a number of people that just want to try it not knowing how good it really is.  Mine goes into service when the temperature in North Florida really climbs up to the mid-90's and the heat from the BHK gets to be too much. 

Samoyed

« Reply #130 on: 19 Jan 2019, 03:13 am »
My Innuos Zen Mini should be here late next week, and I’ll finish the review. Mqa is one of the reasons I bought this DAC.

rustydoglim

« Reply #131 on: 20 Jan 2019, 07:14 am »
.... Mqa is one of the reasons I bought this DAC.

We don't want to get into the MQA debate so please take my comment as purely from engineering standpoint.
What we learned during the implementation of MQA is that a newer XMOS USB communication chip does the so called MQA unfolding (lets just call it decoding).  I have done all sorts of programming in my early career from CPU level assembly code, firmware, C++, Java and client scripts.  So, is there any difference between doing the decoding by the player on the computer versus on the USB chip ? I don't think so.

I will like you to compare decoding MQA from the computer versus decoding on Evo DAC whether you can hear any difference.  My point is that if you like the sound characteristic of MQA, go ahead and subscribe to this compression streaming service. But I doubt MQA DAC is necessary.

Samoyed

« Reply #132 on: 20 Jan 2019, 03:21 pm »
Actually, I’m just waiting on the Mini Zen so I can buy Roon and finish the review. I have used Tidal for months and very much like mqa via a node 2.

I’ll be happy to compare butmay need your help. I have an Apple laptop. I hope to use the mqa function of the Evolution DAC, permanently. The Innuos will simply be the raw source, and storage for my cds.

OzarkTom

« Reply #133 on: 20 Jan 2019, 04:01 pm »
Actually, I’m just waiting on the Mini Zen so I can buy Roon and finish the review. I have used Tidal for months and very much like mqa via a node 2.

I’ll be happy to compare butmay need your help. I have an Apple laptop. I hope to use the mqa function of the Evolution DAC, permanently. The Innuos will simply be the raw source, and storage for my cds.

Have you ever tried the Node 2 straight into your amp?

Samoyed

« Reply #134 on: 20 Jan 2019, 04:10 pm »
Yes. The node 2 will be sold. I enjoy it, but the Innuous should better integrate my cd collection.

Also, goal is a pair of evolution ones.

rjclaster

« Reply #135 on: 20 Jan 2019, 07:40 pm »
I recently purchased an Evolution DAC and, like others, have noticed an increased level of clarity compared to the DAC 10 which I previously owned.  In addition, I have also noticed that with the Evolution DAC my subwoofer integrates better with my satellite monitors.

Samoyed

« Reply #136 on: 20 Jan 2019, 07:42 pm »
Yup. 👍🤑

John Casler

« Reply #137 on: 20 Jan 2019, 07:47 pm »
I recently purchased an Evolution DAC and, like others, have noticed an increased level of clarity compared to the DAC 10 which I previously owned.  In addition, I have also noticed that with the Evolution DAC my subwoofer integrates better with my satellite monitors.

In case anyone is interested, I might point out, that Bob is one of the few, who have a PURE NuPRIME system consisting of the following:

1) NuPRIME CDT-8 Pro
2) EVOLUTION DAC
3) Pair of EVOLUTION ONE monoblocs.

A spectacular system.

He, no doubt, is hearing some incredible sonic information.

Samoyed

« Reply #138 on: 20 Jan 2019, 07:51 pm »
My Evo DAC and cdt 8 are spectacular. I’m working toward the Evo ones....

rustydoglim

« Reply #139 on: 22 Jan 2019, 11:33 am »
Even though John Ransley is a dealer, he has established a long track record of reliable and well-grounded reviews that his customers (and even readers outside of New Zealand) come to depend on for his recommendation.

In this latest review of Evolution DAC, he went into excruciating details section by section, correlating with what he has heard and compared with other devices.

https://totallywired.nz/nuprime-2/nuprime_evolution_dac/