Nextcloud - Pretty Darn Cool!

tortugaranger

• Industry Contributor
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
Nextcloud - Pretty Darn Cool!
« on: 9 Dec 2019, 07:54 pm »
Iv'e been on a de-googling campaign to disconnect from google where I reasonably can. Basically just trying to put some distance between myself and all of their data gathering without my permission etc.

Since I have a Linux server (Ubuntu) that runs our Tortuga Audio website I decided to try Nextcloud. Nextcloud is free and once set up acts more or less like a GoogleDrive or OneDrive or Dropbox etc. Basically it's one big file repository that you can sync with numerous devices, share files etc. Works with Android/IOS phone apps.

In a word, I'm impressed. If you're comfortable with Linux, have a server with available space etc. and are looking to set up your own cloud file repository/share site, I highly recommend Nextcloud. Bit of a PITA to get set up initially with security certificates and all but once you get past that it just works!

Free if you host  your own, otherwise they do charge something for doing it for you ( I did not look into that cost).

https://nextcloud.com/

Cheers,
Morten

JohnR

Re: Nextcloud - Pretty Darn Cool!
« Reply #1 on: 10 Dec 2019, 08:44 am »
Thanks for the report! It's something I've been meaning to try for myself. Just discovered the other day another stream of data Google was slurping up off my phone. Next step a Linux phone methinks...