What do I need for my project?

siava1018

What do I need for my project?
« on: 5 Jan 2011, 02:59 am »
Ok so First im building a small bookcase that will hold my tube buffer, dac and amp all siting on tender feet/baby booties on top of the case.  The first shelve will hold my sony scd-555ce aka tin can(thats question number 2) second shelve is for my few sacd's and finally on the bottom will be my batteries. The case will be put in the front corner of my room and built out of solid pine, the side in the corner will be screwed in to the wall studs and the opposite side will have wood cleats for my 3 shelves for cd's and dvd's that will be mounted to my front wall studs again with wood cleats and the shelves screwed in to all the cleats.  Now can I get away with just 2 tender feet under the side that has the shelves and any other suggestions to improve isolation?

Second I have a sony scd-555cd the thing is weak and flimsy so starting from the bottom im going to use a thin pice of wood and shims to level it out and give me a flat bottom so i can mount 4 tender feet then on top im going to build a nice heavy sand box to add weight to the cheap case.  How heavy should I make the box I dont want it too heavy that it puts too much pressure on the cd mechanism? Also should instead of the thin wood on the bottom should i build another sand box? Heavy on the bottom lighter on the top? Should i uses some grunge buster in between the blocks/base?

Third im building a dodd tube buffer, should I build a sand box as the top and bottom or will the added weight transfer more vibration to the tube(that has a rx damper)?

siava1018

Re: What do I need for my project?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jan 2011, 03:08 am »
O yeh forgot to mention im kinda on a budget the tender feet add up quick lol.

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
Re: What do I need for my project?
« Reply #2 on: 5 Jan 2011, 07:27 am »
Hi, siava1018. I recommend using a Square Fat Dot under each of the cleats or legs. If the cleats are pointed rather than broad and flat, you'll want to use something else under them, though. Maybe Cone/Spike Grounding Bases.

Tenderfeet usually do best in direct contact with the component chassis. Thin wood and shims placed under the component as a false bottom will likely introduce some unwanted "character" and inhibit the Tenderfoot effectiveness. Tenderfeet, being free-standing, are very versatile with placement--you should be able to find locations under the scd where they'll support the component and keep it level. If not, individual Tenderfeet can be given a boost with Square Fat Dots, felt, or shimmed with sheets of Post-It Pad paper underneath.

A moderate-weight sandbox on top would probably be beneficial, separated from the component with grungebuster Dots or Extra-Thick grungebuster Dots. With compliant Tenderfeet underneath, you don't need a ton of mass-loading weight on top; just a moderate weight like placing the palm of your hand on the component to stabilize it. Setting the component in a sandbox provides very good isolation from the shelf. If using a sandbox underneath, place a fairly thick Baltic birch plywood plinth on the sand, then the component with four Tenderfeet on the plinth.

Rope caulk (available at hardware stores) is a good remedy for a flimsy/weak chassis. Place some broadly under the lid, along the sides and bottom, around circuit board and motor mounts. The material is sonically neutral and absorbs micro-vibrations superbly.

The tube buffer should do very well on four Tenderfeet or Baby Booties. For additional benefit, a SuperSonic Stabilizer or moderate-weight sandbox or sandbag on top should do well also. I doubt the added weight of a sandbox would transfer more vibration to the tube. An inappropriate choice of materials could be sonically detrimental, though.

To further improve isolate of the bookcase, employ isolation/decoupling between the loudspeakers and floor (Herbie's Gliders or Big Fat Dots for example). Besides improved loudspeaker performance, this reduces floorborne and wall-borne vibrations that can infiltrate the bookcase and components, especially if the bookcase is coupled to the wall.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab