240 watt D.C. regulated filament supply

Guy 13

Re: 240 watt D.C. regulated filament supply photos
« Reply #20 on: 25 Feb 2012, 08:12 am »
I think if you add some drawn people you would have a heck of a NS cartoon.

Hi JTW and all Audio Circle members.

How about this little funny face, does that make my sketch some kind of cartoon?

Guy 13

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
Re: 240 watt D.C. regulated filament supply photos
« Reply #21 on: 26 Feb 2012, 11:35 pm »
Yeah- we could always use some extra quality art work! Thanks!

I am making progress on upgrading the 240W supply. They are built exceptionally well and are a pleasure to work with mechanically.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
The 240W power supply components did not pass my tests and will not be sold. They do work, but do not perform exactly as I intended them to.

However, we are making a 396 watt model in its place for no additional charge to our customers. It will be bigger (17x10x3) and match our amps and preamps perfectly.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
Ready to be confused?

We're keeping the 240W power supply. It has been fixed and it's working perfectly.

The insides are going to be replaced AND upgraded. Premium capacitors will be installed in these new units. How's it working now? A dream come true! No surprises. Great regulation, extremely quiet.

The upgraded 240W models will be available next week.

What about the last post? The power supply capable of cooking a small turkey will be available shortly.

gooberdude

Blair, what do you consider to be premium capacitors and what was the trick that fixed the original design?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
what was the trick that fixed the original design?
Plugged into the wall.   :P

Guy 13

Plugged into the wall.   :P

Hi JTW and all Audio Circle members.

Yes, it helps plugging a unit in the wall... (LOL)

Guy 13

Guy 13

Ready to be confused?

We're keeping the 240W power supply. It has been fixed and it's working perfectly.

The insides are going to be replaced AND upgraded. Premium capacitors will be installed in these new units. How's it working now? A dream come true! No surprises. Great regulation, extremely quiet.

The upgraded 240W models will be available next week.

What about the last post? The power supply capable of cooking a small turkey will be available shortly.

Hi Blair and all Audio Circle members.

Your DC filament venture was indeed a little confusing, however, I am glad to see that it has an happy ending.

If the DC filament unit is the same size as your NS-40, can we put under the NS-40 ?
Not overheat problem ?
Will the power switch of the DC filament match the one of the NS-40 ? (Placement, color and model)

Guy 13 

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
After several hours on the bench, I determined the board I was using was not up to the job. It had flaws that were due to the design, they were not defective. It's unfortunate since their build quality was outstanding. Build quality (board layout, components) and the electrical design are two different things.

A new board is going to be used. The capacitors that will be installed are commercial grade instead of consumer grade. My favorite caps work at up to 105 deg. Celsius and are compact, using the latest technology to allow for a smaller body. AKA: More carefully made.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
The 240W model can be made to fit under the amp and there would be no heat issues. It is very efficient. The power switch can match everything else. Not a problem. Either a rocker or toggle can be used.

Hi Blair and all Audio Circle members.

Your DC filament venture was indeed a little confusing, however, I am glad to see that it has an happy ending.

If the DC filament unit is the same size as your NS-40, can we put under the NS-40 ?
Not overheat problem ?
Will the power switch of the DC filament match the one of the NS-40 ? (Placement, color and model)

Guy 13

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
Good news: The revised 240W supplies are excellent and pass with flying colors. I've had one drawing enough of a load to make the output wires warm without any issues. The voltage stays constant, better than 1%. Line voltage variations (100-128V) are not an issue and they run cool.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Looks a great PowerSupply indeed, mainly due the huge outlet line voltages swing on input, this Supply supports.
Usually the PowerSupply on amps, accept only 5 percent drop voltage at input.
Congratulations

P.S.:> In my country I see the tension drop 10% everyday, say from 220V from 200V. The usual Tension level is 205-210V, that is very low to a standard PowerSupply.

gcos

Good news: The revised 240W supplies are excellent and pass with flying colors. I've had one drawing enough of a load to make the output wires warm without any issues. The voltage stays constant, better than 1%. Line voltage variations (100-128V) are not an issue and they run cool.

Deafening silence !!!  what's the latest ? based on the last posting thought items would have been shipped by now. :(

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
We're waiting for the capacitors to come in. Otherwise, they are still working 100%. There was a time lapse in ordering the upgrade caps in order to make certain the new supplies were working perfectly. The new caps should be in early next week.

gcos

oops..Forgot about the caps... Tks for the update.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
The capacitors are in. What a difference from the originals!

djbnh

Blair, could a battery power supply be feasible with the NS-40?

gcos

The capacitors are in. What a difference from the originals!

I am now seeing this post from the 12th March. Is there another problem why units have not been shipped ??

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
You could you a 12V battery. The size would depend on how long you'd want to listen for.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
The supplies are fine and I will get them out this coming week. There were some major vehicle issues that had to be fixed plus other things. One of them was interesting: After a diagnostic and much reading, a $7.00 can of MAF sensor cleaner eliminated a possible $1800.00 repair bill. (Long story). The other truck decided not to start- but that is fixed as well.