A VERY special Beacon Four

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
A VERY special Beacon Four
« on: 30 Dec 2011, 01:36 am »
Beacon 4 w/ several options:

Features:
Remote controlled inputs(4) & volume
Separate output w/ tone control
HT Bypass
Artistic maple sides
New faceplate

More details coming up...

Ericus Rex

Re: A VERY special Beacon Four
« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec 2011, 02:04 am »
Your stuff is looking more and more professional with each new model!  Well done!

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #2 on: 31 Dec 2011, 02:33 pm »
Specialized Beacon Four further explained:

There are two separate outputs. One output does not have the tone control in the circuit while the other one does. There are four inputs selected either by the panel mounted rotary encoder or via the remote through a relay system. The remote does not turn the preamp on or off. A motorized ALPS pot is used so that the audio bypasses all digital circuitry.

A HT bypass has been installed between the first input and first output. Turning it on bypasses all preamp circuitry between the two.

About the circuit:
One 6SN7 acts as a buffer and provides enough current to drive the two output sections. Another 6SN7 is used solely for the tone control. The output is then piped into an output stage. The buffer also provides a signal to the normal output tube. All four tubes have a different job, yet the parts count is still kept to a minimum for best performance.

At this point, the preamp is in the burn-in/tweaking stage and the I/R sensor still has to be mounted. I am considering an external mount for it if possible.

This preamp has been in R&D for approximately a year. Within that time cosmetic upgrades were made (new faceplate developed) and new rocker switches were installed that were found within the past few months. The latest power supply revisions have been installed as well. Updates to the preamp circuit were installed and the tone control is new, something we never had available until it was requested.

NOTE: There is never a charge for added upgrades when an ordered product is part of a R&D program, no matter how extensive.

More photos will be along shortly.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #3 on: 5 Jan 2012, 01:22 pm »
I decided to go with the remote IR sensor. It will be a plug-in module that uses a cable which will plug into a 1/8" stereo jack in the back of the preamp. This will allow positioning of the sensor for best performance. The sensor itself is housed in a small black box and the cable will be 2ft long.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 5 Jan 2012, 01:54 pm »
The sensor itself is housed in a small black box and the cable will be 2ft long.

I don't like that type..another box to fall and get in the way.  The regular Alps unit (Bent Audio) is great.  Motor with the sensor that goes into the faceplate.  If done in a cool way nobody would ever really know it's present. 

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #5 on: 5 Jan 2012, 02:07 pm »
It might be changed with the next rendition. This remote switches inputs as well and I do not believe the Bent does that. I plan in trying the Bent version sometime soon. This remote uses a motorized Alps as well and has a built in regulated power supply, minus the transformer.

The box: It's small, but big enough to stand on its own and it should not be a issue. I always wanted to try this because it allows the user to find the 'sweet spot' for their listening position. It will add flexibility.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 5 Jan 2012, 02:36 pm »
It might be changed with the next rendition. This remote switches inputs as well and I do not believe the Bent does that. I plan in trying the Bent version sometime soon. This remote uses a motorized Alps as well and has a built in regulated power supply, minus the transformer.

The box: It's small, but big enough to stand on its own and it should not be a issue. I always wanted to try this because it allows the user to find the 'sweet spot' for their listening position. It will add flexibility.

What I like about the Bent unit is that it's not in the circuit at all.  It's totally separate. 

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #7 on: 10 Jan 2012, 02:32 pm »
The remote I am using does not have signal paths through IC's. They go through the ALPS pot and input relays.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #8 on: 15 Feb 2012, 12:52 pm »
Circuit update: I partially removed the last circuit that was described here. The new one is very interesting and a better performer than previous one.

The idea behind the Beacon Four is circuit flexibility. With this rendition, I decided to go with something akin to dual Beacon Two's since two discreet functions are being provided with shared preamp inputs and a single volume control. The old circuit was more like a Beacon One + Beacon Two (or Three depending on how you look at it).

The new tone circuit, IMO, is considerably better than a typical circuit in that it does not add noise.

More to follow.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #9 on: 19 Feb 2012, 09:20 pm »
The tube stuff:

Next comes the remote stuff.

This is a double Beacon II circuit that shares the same input. One circuit is straight through while the other has a tone control.