SOLD: Wyred4Sound DAC-1 $200 (dropped price)

mchuckp

SOLD: Wyred4Sound DAC-1 $200 (dropped price)
« on: 29 Dec 2022, 10:09 pm »
***SOLD***

Price: $275 200 + Shipping (I'll cover PP fees)
Local Pick up available in Oregon

The W4S Dac-1 has some years on it but is still a great DAC.  The unit is built like a tank with loads of connection options including fully balanced XLR and an LCD panel that shows the input and bitrate.  I bought this DAC back in 2010 and have used it in my main rig all these years. It has been well cared for.  The only thing I see for cosmetics is a couple very faint surface marks on the dark black pieces left and right of the front panel. 

Two things to note.  One of the two Toslink inputs has a broken "door".  It still works but is more finicky to get the cable in.  The other is that I cannot find the original power cord (I was using an aftermarket).  I ordered a 6' standard power cord that will ship with the unit. 

Included:
DAC Unit, Power cord, manual, & original double box

DAC Chips: ES 9018
Digital Inputs: 2 Coaxial, 2 Optical, 1 USB
Outputs: XLR and Single Ended
Bitrates: Coax and Optical up to 24/192, USB up to 24/96
Oversized transformer, has 88,000 μF of capacitance
Dimensions: 8.5 X 4.125 X 13.5 inches
Weight: 15lbs
Year: 2010
Price: USD $999 (2010)

Here is some info from a Positive-Feedback review and link.
https://positive-feedback.com/Issue51/wyred.htm
The Wyred 4 Sound DAC-1 uses the ESS Reference Audio (ES 9018) 32 bit DAC chip. This chip can process data streams up to 32 bits and 200 KHz via the coaxial RCA inputs. Toslink inputs can handle up to 32 bits and 96 KHz. The USB input works with data streams up to 24 bits and 96K Hz. In addition, the coaxial inputs are transformer coupled which isolates the source while insuring proper loading of the input.

The DAC-1 is fully balanced internally so that even the single-ended outputs benefit from common-mode noise rejection.

Upsampling is handled by the ESS chip; inputs are upsampled at 386 times the input rate. No choices as to upsampling rates are offered.

The DAC-1 power supply uses an oversized transformer, has 88,000 μF of capacitance, and is highly regulated and filtered. Equal attention has been paid to the proprietary analog output stages. These stages use discrete dual-differential FETs and Dale resistors. As W4S notes in the owner's manual, a great deal of effort has gone into developing "the cleanest, most transparent, and natural sounding output stage."

« Last Edit: 3 Jan 2023, 07:18 pm by mchuckp »

mchuckp

Re: For Sale: Wyred4Sound DAC-1 $200 (dropped price)
« Reply #1 on: 31 Dec 2022, 09:44 pm »
Bump for price drop.