What cables have you tried with the 938's?

hstokar

What cables have you tried with the 938's?
« on: 29 Aug 2006, 08:15 pm »
I am currently using a bi-wire pair of Red Dawn and a straight run of the same for the bass.   Not happy with clarity (need to tighten up the bass).   

Recently tried the NuForce 9SE amps and agree with others have written that this makes for a good pair.   How about cables?

Dracule1

• Facilitator
Re: What cables have you tried with the 938's?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Sep 2006, 04:11 am »
The Red Dawns have been described by many as lean sounding.  I use biwire silver cables by

http://www.crystalclearaudio.com/products.htm

There relatively cheap because you can get pretty good discounts from Mel the designer.  But his cables take a long time to break in, 200-300 hrs.  Overall, it's a slightly warm sounding with very good bass, but I think the Reds will be cleaner up high.

Roeland

« Reply #2 on: 1 Sep 2006, 08:42 am »
I'm now playing with twisted pairs designs, very good for the money!

Will try very soon:

- Legenburg Apollo Range by capativa tech (supposed to be extremely well sounding)
- Purist Audio Design Aequous cabling

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 2 Sep 2006, 04:05 am »
Make sure to throw those horrible sounding brass jumpers away and replace them with decent speaker jumpers.  The copper wire jumpers supplied by Hyperion are not that great either.  The stock jumpers really veil the sound of the 938s.  I'm using silver wire jumpers made by the same company as my speaker wires.

Aragorn

« Reply #4 on: 2 Sep 2006, 11:19 am »
Hi all

I am using Tara Labs RSC 1000, and some offcuts of same for the inter-module wire. To be honest I am not crazy about that wire, but it's all I had around, and the damn speakers sound so good anyway that I just haven't got the urge to change real soon. I look forward to trying some of the silver stuff recommended by some others on this forum and I'll report back.

PaulFolbrecht

« Reply #5 on: 4 Sep 2006, 03:34 pm »
I'm using the amazingly good and amazingly cheap anti-cables.  Bi-wired with the mid/tweets jumpered with anti-cable jumper.

This stuff replaced my Wireworld Polaris before I had the Hyps.  Nothing lost and much $ saved (well, not so much cause I sold the Polaris for cheap.  The difference in new cost is very large, however).

Aragorn

« Reply #6 on: 6 Sep 2006, 09:21 am »
Paul

Where do I find out more about these anti-cables?
It's a cool name by any measure....

Thanks

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 10 Sep 2006, 06:16 am »
Thanks hstokar and everyone for contributing to this topic.  We need more info on what speaker wires work well with the 938s.

chao

« Reply #8 on: 14 Sep 2006, 11:34 pm »
Aragorn,

you can find a lot of info on www.audiogon.com (use the forum).

:thumb:
Chao

Aragorn

« Reply #9 on: 15 Sep 2006, 04:21 am »
Thanks Chao- I'll have a look now... :D

Kind Regards
David

malcolmsmith

« Reply #10 on: 15 Sep 2006, 04:03 pm »
I use a British speaker bi-wired cable by Black Rhodium called Polar Knight DCT,with a another length of this to connect bass to midrange. The cost of a 5 metre pair is around £600(guess around$1000). The important and interesting thing about this speaker cable is the DCT which stands for Deep Cryogenic Treatment.DCT treatment is the process of cryogenically cooling a material over a measured period of time.The process is described in these terms since temperatures approaching -200C are achieved,and this occurs over a period extending to days rather than minutes or hours.All stages of the process,from the initial slow cooling to the prolonged soak at minimumtemperature,through to a carefully staged return to ambient temperatures are achieved with precision measurement and computer control.DCT is a concept embraced in many areas of industry,for its beneficial effects on a wide range of materials. By slowing down atomic movement,the internal molecular bonding energy is increased which promotes a pure structural balance throughout the mass of the material.The end result being a material with an extremely uniform,refined and dense microstructure with vastly improved properties.
The claimed sonic benefits include much less distortion and harshness;greater depth as a result of more precise imaging and quieter background;clarity is increased and timing is enhanced.I certainly have found DCT cable to be a significant improvement over non frozen cable I agree with the aforementioned claimed benefits.The clarity and smoothness being the main improvements I have noticed.
Before this cable I used Kimber.
Sorry about the length of this comment I thougt some of you might find it interesting.
For more information on DCT the Black Rhodium web site or Frozen Solid Audio Ltd who freeze the cable can be visited.I believe some American firms use this process(Siltech?).Certainly worth investigating and an excellent match with the 938s.

toobluvr

Speltz anti-cables
« Reply #11 on: 15 Sep 2006, 06:39 pm »
Paul

Where do I find out more about these anti-cables?
It's a cool name by any measure....

Thanks

speltz anit-cable website:

http://www.anticables.com/home.html

and of course, searching on the various boards will yield tons of comments.
Almost all are positive.
VG cable period!  Insanely good for the $!

pkoh70

« Reply #12 on: 1 Oct 2006, 02:19 am »
I am using silver cable jumpers made by HGA(homegrown audio). They come in 1ft. length, terminated with rhodium connectors and priced around $90. (perfect length for 938s, especially to connect top and bottom unit) Awesome, underpriced cables that seemed to really match well with 938s.

For speaker cables, I use none other than Analysis Plus Oval 9. I like mixing copper speaker cables with silver jumper cables.. brings out best of both world... For under $500 (two sets of HGA silver jumpers & Oval 9), you get a lot and I assure you, you won't be disappointed.

Using silver cables all around may make your 938s sound too "sterile"...