Questions about 938 crossovers

PaulFolbrecht

Questions about 938 crossovers
« on: 10 Aug 2006, 05:28 pm »
Since the bass & mid/treble modules are separate, doesn't each one have to have a xover (filter) at 230Hz?  The bass modules low-passes at 230 and the mid/treble high-passes.  Only way this could work - right?

Also, are these xovers 1st-order?

Thanks.

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
Re: Questions about 938 crossovers
« Reply #1 on: 11 Aug 2006, 05:36 am »
Hi Paul.  I'm happy you're happy with your Hyperions.

No, they don't HAVE to be that way.  The 2 adjacent filter points could be at different frequencies, or there could be TWO filters at different points on the bass drivers, etc.  Doesn't H. say anything about the filter slopes?

I suggest you ask them for a schematic diagram.

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #2 on: 11 Aug 2006, 05:40 am »
Hi Paul,

My understanding is that when a xover is set at 230Hz, both the bass and midrange crosses over near (but not exactly at) this frequency, no matter if the bass and mid/treble units are physically in different enclosure or within the same enclosure.  Amount of overlap depends on the xover design (eg, 1st, 2nd order...).

As far as I know, the 938s are not pure 1st order design - I don't know the details.  I think Albert of Hyperion said that the new 968s are 1st order designs (eg, midrange to treble crossover), and either the midrange or bass unit does not use any cross over components at all due to the better design of the driver.

PaulFolbrecht

« Reply #3 on: 11 Aug 2006, 03:22 pm »
Jeff - they say the (1st) xover is at 230Hz - that suggests that both modules xover at that freq.

Dracule - I am aware that no xover is "infinite slope" (except for Joseph Audio's patended infinite-slope crossover or a digital crossover) - what I was getting at is the point that, despite the different enclosures, they both have a crossover at 230Hz.  I guess that's obvious enough that it didn't need to be stated. :-}

If the 938s do NOT use 1st-order crossovers I am even more amazed at their drive requirements - being as LOW as they are, that is.  I have been using an 8 watt Dared 2a3 amp for a few days and have been amazed at how effortlessly and dynamically this tiny amp drives them.

I wonder if the 968s are even easier, then.  And I wonder if I should've bought them instead. :-}  But I believe they're considerably pricier and I'm very happy with the 938s.  Best speakers I've had in my home, for sure.

Hyperion?  Could you answer these questions for us?  Thank you.