Full review of the Hyperion tube mono block amps finally.

Dracule1

• Facilitator
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/hyperion3/88.html

It garnered the Blue Moon Award for low power SET category.  Anyone own them?

matix

« Reply #1 on: 24 Nov 2005, 06:59 am »
Think it is time the circle name be changed to just "Hyperion".   :D

Roeland

« Reply #2 on: 24 Nov 2005, 09:10 am »
Don't own them, hope to audition them some time soon...

Right Now I'm auditioning the Nuforce Reference 8 at home. They also mate very well with the hyperions...Am now thinking about the hyperion tube preamp with the nuforces maybe...

But those are all long term ideas ;)

RCduck7

Re: Full review of the Hyperion tube mono block amps finally.
« Reply #3 on: 12 Sep 2009, 07:41 pm »
I love to hear a tube amp at least once on my Hyperions.
On 6moons and the enjoythemusic site they talk about the Opera Cyber 211 tube mono blocks and how good a match they are with the 938 and 968 speakers in their reviews.
But the Hyperion HT-88 is half the price of the 211 amp and is a best award on 6 moons.
So i'm not sure wich would come on top.
Anyone heard one of them or both?

ndeslions

« Reply #4 on: 14 Sep 2009, 08:38 am »
I haven't heard the Consonnance but i own a pair of HT88, they miss some power to drive the 938 and 968 boomers.
They sound good but if you like to listen at good / high levels they will definitely be short of watts.

RCduck7

« Reply #5 on: 14 Sep 2009, 10:48 am »
I haven't heard the Consonnance but i own a pair of HT88, they miss some power to drive the 938 and 968 boomers.
They sound good but if you like to listen at good / high levels they will definitely be short of watts.

Not many Watts but it might be down to the power supply and how much current it moves.
There is also a more powerful HT-845.
But in the meantime i have been browsing this forum and came up with very good comments from posters with these amps...

-McAlister PP150
-Hyperion's own BEC mono's and pre
-Belles 350a ref. power & 28a pre-amp (i guess the 150a could do also nicely)

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=30005.0

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=21583.0

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=20496.0

It would be nice to hear from someone who has compared these setups but that might be to far reached?

ndeslions

« Reply #6 on: 14 Sep 2009, 12:22 pm »
18 watts even with a great power supply will always be 18 watts... the PS can't do miracles.

I know the Hyperion products well (i'm a Hyperion dealer) and i wish you good luck with the HT845.
I had 2 pairs, both faulty, one with 230v on the chassis...

I don't think the Belles amps will be transparent enough for the Hyperion.

So far i know that both Hyperion speakers sounds fine with more powerful amps, like the Cayin 500, you should also try to listen to Lavardin amps : for me it's the best match.

RCduck7

« Reply #7 on: 14 Sep 2009, 09:03 pm »
I like might go valve when i like the sound more then with the Dussun V8i i have now.
I have seen Lavardin (transistor) pop up a few times with Hyperions but i also read someone likes the Octave V70 (kt88) more then the Lavardin IT.
Still both Lavardin and Octave are not cheap compared to the McAlister tube amps.
Since i can't possibly find a dealer in my country for every amp listed here i have to rely on customers experiences on forums and reviews.
Even if they were dealers for these amps in my country, then i still have to persuade them to have an audition at my home on my hyperions.
You just can't choose which amp by listening to them on other speakers, components and room acoustics.

RCduck7

« Reply #8 on: 16 Sep 2009, 11:25 pm »
I have read reviews where a Primaluna tube amp was a good match on the Hyperions.
I know 6moons raved about cyber 211, some people picked up on that review and bought it.
But 6 moons didn't compare everything on these speakers.
For Primaluna i can find a delaer in my country, no problem, i should get one at my home for an audition.
While i'm at it, the dealer has PS audio to, someone prefered this over the Primaluna but that could be a very personal opinion.
i can only try and find out.

George47

« Reply #9 on: 19 Sep 2009, 10:35 am »
I have my 938s powered from a set of ARC VS110 with a passive TVC pre amp. It sounds fabulous and very clear. The detail is phenomenal, integrated and neutral. And when the power is really turned up, the bass is very powerful and can rattle my TV case and windows...... I suspect I do not need 100w of valves but with a large room for the UK (30'x20') it can really rock.

RCduck7

« Reply #10 on: 23 Sep 2009, 09:46 pm »
Thanks for the info...
The Audio Research VS110 caught my intrest, but i came across this page with very intresting products...
www.sacthailand.com/Amplifier....
It has a 70 Watt Mono block SET amp and a very affordable Push pull using KT88.
With the litte info i found it made me belief these amps are one of the finest in "High End" available and at affordable prices.
Some review quotes...
www.sacthailand.com/Amplifier....
Not sure, but maybe they are as good as they look?? aa

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 24 Sep 2009, 03:39 am »
RC, as you may know, I had the McAlister amp with my 938s.  Although the sound was very good, the build quality and reliability were poor.  I would not venture getting the McAlister stuff unless he made some significant improvements in quality control.