Crossover wiring

Zuman

Crossover wiring
« on: 12 Mar 2022, 06:15 pm »
Hello, All. I've enjoyed my CSS Criton 2-TDX MTM-configuration speakers for nearly two years now, and - to be honest - have had no problems with any aspects of their component quality or my assembly of them. However, I've been an audiophile for too long to leave well-enough alone.
I know that I hurried the crossover assembly a bit in my desire to actually hear the things play music, so I'm on the verge of opening the boxes up and reassembling the crossovers.
The crossovers have high-quality components, but I used 14-gauge generic speaker wire to connect those that I couldn't twist-and-solder directly.
Do any of you have well-founded opinions on whether the wire used to connect crossover components has any significant impact? If so, do you have recommendations?
Thanks!

SET Man

Re: Crossover wiring
« Reply #1 on: 13 Mar 2022, 01:21 am »
Do any of you have well-founded opinions on whether the wire used to connect crossover components has any significant impact? If so, do you have recommendations?
Thanks!

Hey!

Yes it can be significant. But not knowing how "generic" your 14ga wire used in the speaker is, it could be decent since you do like the sound of your speaker now.

If you want to try, I do recommend good high purity copper of 6N and above with long or single crystal like Ohno wire and etc.

And here's a bit of my $0.02USD... more expensive doesn't always mean better. For example, I tried silver hookup wire in my preamp, didn't like it and went back to copper wire which is cheaper. So, with that said, do keep your old wire just in case you don't like the new one... of course give the new wire time to break in before you make the decision.

Buddy

richidoo

« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2022, 03:51 am »
The standard wire gage for inwall speaker cable is 16ga and it stretches 50+ or more and works fine for its purpose.
Crossover component leads on commercial speakers are usually 16 gage max on LF coils and smaller for resistors, caps and HF coils, so your 14ga wire is bigger than the crossover parts.
The hookup wire inside the box is very short length, so the slight increase of resistance to the woofer filter will probably not be noticed when compared to a 12ga wire. I have never seen bigger than 12ga hookup wire inside a residential speaker.

I think keep the speakers as is and if you have the itch, start looking for new speakers and keep enjoying the old ones in good working order until you find something better. You might find after a couple months the new speakers aint so hot and you'll be glad you have the old ones still unmolested.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2022, 07:56 am »
With speakers any change has a noticeable alteration in the sound if you have sensitive ears. If you think this speaker is high quality and you will keep it for a long time, it might be worthwhile to improve it, do the following:
= Use hard wiring Neotech UP-OCC AWG 12 copper
= Avoid stranded wire or silver wire
= Dont put the xover inside the enclosure, mount it externally to avoid vibrations and resonances in the components.
= A cheap wire option is magnet wire

Additional tips:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=100689.0
« Last Edit: 13 Mar 2022, 10:45 am by FullRangeMan »

ric

« Reply #4 on: 13 Mar 2022, 01:39 pm »
I'm in agreement that it may not make much of a difference, but it depends, are you talking about 1-2' of wire or much more? I'm also not sure about the no silver comment--I am using duelund silver/cotton/oil (tweeter to crossover) no complaints!
I am also in favor of outboard crossovers and using them with IsoAcoustics products, a small but noticeable difference. Everything adds up, I just recently replaced a duplex outlet with Tweek Geek's Quantum Science Audio duplex outlet==huge improvement in sound quality, like listening late evening when the system just sounds "right". Good luck!