best ways of interconnecting

beat

« on: 21 Feb 2003, 03:51 am »
Hello all,
I'm new to this HT stuff. How do you all suggest interconnecting your gear? I'm getting mixed feedback. Optical, S, component, digital, composite, It is alittle greek to me. I understand component is best for picture quality, but do I go through my amp first? or straight to the TV? What about the audio? I'm setting up for 6.1
Thanks for your time, beat

bubba966

« Reply #1 on: 21 Feb 2003, 04:14 am »
For the audio part of things you'll want to use a Digital Coax cable, not a Digital Optical cable if possible. Exceptions being if you've got AT&T Glass Digital connectors. But the AT&T connection is very, very rare (and terribly expensive). And a good quality Digital Coax cable WILL make a hell of a big difference in your sound quality. I'd suggest a Digital from Bolder Cables. I'm sure the Bolder Digital with the Copper Eichmann Bullets is great, but I've had Wayne build all of mine with Silver Eichmann Bullets & a cryo treatment.

As far as the video goes (DVD's only), yes Component is generally better than S. And S is better than Composite. If you've only got one source you'll be using Component Video with then run it straight to your display. Most processors/receivers don't have a problem with Component Video switching if you need to use more than one source on Component.

As far as going 6.1, I'll say this. Don't. Go for either 5.1 or 7.1. One rear center directly behind your head is almost impossible to hear. I'd also say don't bother with specifically running more than a 5.1 setup anyways. The amount of material available in DD EX/DTS ES is very, very small. And of the available material less than 20% of it is actually mixed to properly take advantage of it. I've been running 7.2 for over 2 years now & have watched almost everything that's been released in EX/ES (only missed a couple). It's not worth the $ to buy more amplification, speakers, IC's, & speaker wire. I also wouldn't buy a new processor or receiver for the purpose of running EX/ES. If you do need to buy a new processor or receiver then don't count out ones that are capable of running EX/ES as maybe someday there might be enough software to justify the added cost of everything else.

But then again I told myself that 2 years ago. And the amount of EX/ES mixed software still isn't increasing at much more than a snails pace.

beat

« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb 2003, 03:52 pm »
thanks bubba that helps,
Is digital coax good for the cd player also? Regarding the 6.1, I'm going for it because I already have the speaker built and the amp doesn't need anything extra to run it. You just plug it in like an extra speaker. It's a bummer there is not more out there catering to formats beyond 5.1. Oh well, We'll see what happens.

shokunin

« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2003, 06:57 pm »
Although the number of titles with EX/ES is limited, certain processors can extract additional channels out of the rears.  Lexicon's Logic 7 and Meridian Trifield and even circle surround will extract an extra 2 channels for the rears.  The Lexicon and Meridian will give you excellent steering in the extra 2 rear channels.

bubba966

« Reply #4 on: 21 Feb 2003, 10:33 pm »
Yes, Digital Coax would be better than Toslink Optical on your CD player.

Do you have the ability to run 2 rear center speakers instead of just a single rear center? Because one speaker directly behind your head is physically very hard to hear as your head isn't designed to hear sounds directly behind you.

bubba966

« Reply #5 on: 21 Feb 2003, 10:36 pm »
Quote from: shokunin
Although the number of titles with EX/ES is limited, certain processors can extract additional channels out of the rears.  Lexicon's Logic 7 and Meridian Trifield and even circle surround will extract an extra 2 channels for the rears.  The Lexicon and Meridian will give you excellent steering in the extra 2 rear channels.

True.

But any processor that can decode EX/ES can decode any 5.1 signal to be played back in EX/ES. But that doesn't mean that there'll be anything in the sound mix that will be decoded behind you like that. I've been decoding everything into EX/ES for quite some time on my Pioneer Elite. And actually one of the best examples of EX decoding I've run across was on Dog Soldiers. Which wan't mixed with the intention of decoding it in EX.