AVP-18

ricardojoa

Re: AVP-18
« Reply #100 on: 7 May 2014, 04:55 pm »
Can someone confirm?
I was using direct mode and i thought it disable everything including the bass mangement. But that doesnt seem the case, as it only disable the sub, but the fronts are still high passed.

Thank you

Gaara

« Reply #101 on: 12 May 2014, 10:55 am »
Can someone confirm?
I was using direct mode and i thought it disable everything including the bass mangement. But that doesnt seem the case, as it only disable the sub, but the fronts are still high passed.

Thank you

I can confirm ricardojoa that this is happeneing with my AVP-18 as well.  I adjusted the x-over point to 150hz, shut off my subs, and tried some test tones.  I played a 60hz test tone in Stereo, then in Direct, with no difference in bass.  I would expect there to be a substantial drop in Stereo since bass management is sending most of the bass 150hz and below to the subs.  This was not the case, the levels were identical.

When I set the x-over back to my normal 60hz there was a substantial gain in volume w/ the 60hz test tone.  This was the same case if I set the speakers to Full Range.

So it looks like, at least in my our cases, Direct mode is not operating as we expceted.  I did my tests using an Oppo 103 BDP via HDMI to the AVP-18.

ricardojoa

« Reply #102 on: 12 May 2014, 11:01 am »
I can confirm ricardojoa that this is happeneing with my AVP-18 as well.  I adjusted the x-over point to 150hz, shut off my subs, and tried some test tones.  I played a 60hz test tone in Stereo, then in Direct, with no difference in bass.  I would expect there to be a substantial drop in Stereo since bass management is sending most of the bass 150hz and below to the subs.  This was not the case, the levels were identical.

When I set the x-over back to my normal 60hz there was a substantial gain in volume w/ the 60hz test tone.  This was the same case if I set the speakers to Full Range.

So it looks like, at least in my our cases, Direct mode is not operating as we expceted.  I did my tests using an Oppo 103 BDP via HDMI to the AVP-18.

I have read a  review that pretty much say the same thing, so apparently direct mode isnt so direct. There doesnt seem to have a feature that would disable everything and have it in pure full range 2 channel.

Gaara

« Reply #103 on: 12 May 2014, 11:11 am »
I have read a  review that pretty much say the same thing, so apparently direct mode isnt so direct. There doesnt seem to have a feature that would disable everything and have it in pure full range 2 channel.

It would be a hassle, but you could potentially change your front speakers to Full prior to each listening session that you wanted to just listen to stereo in full range, and switch it back when you are done.  Not ideal, but it is a stopgap.

John Casler

« Reply #104 on: 13 May 2014, 12:30 am »
As per the last several posts;

Casey has posted me the following:

Hi,
Direct mode bypassed the Auto EQ.

However, the Front Left and Right becomes Large speakers without any crossover, while the Sub output will remain operating with the prior set parameter.

This is to accommodate listening to music in Stereo PCM with a subwoofer.

You can also review the chart from the FAQ's that list some of the functions and how they should affect the AVP-18

LOOK HERE FOR THE CHART

ricardojoa

« Reply #105 on: 13 May 2014, 05:35 am »
I just did a firmaware update and it DID NOT go through and fail on AVP18 file, but the rest of the three files was successful. I tried using other update firmware and is the same issue. I took the unit to a friend place, using his PC, and had the same issue.
Now my unit is not working. What should i do?
« Last Edit: 13 May 2014, 09:40 am by ricardojoa »

ricardojoa

« Reply #106 on: 13 May 2014, 12:25 pm »
I just did a firmaware update and it DID NOT go through and fail on AVP18 file, but the rest of the three files was successful. I tried using other update firmware and is the same issue. I took the unit to a friend place, using his PC, and had the same issue.
Now my unit is not working. What should i do?

Problem fixed. It  come out to be a faulty USB cable. :duh:

ricardojoa

« Reply #107 on: 13 May 2014, 12:31 pm »
As per the last several posts;

Casey has posted me the following:

You can also review the chart from the FAQ's that list some of the functions and how they should affect the AVP-18

LOOK HERE FOR THE CHART

Hi John, thank you for responding.

I have the firmware updated to the lastest, i can tell you that's not really the case with the direct mode being full range.
Seems to me that the direct mode disable the EQ, but not the bass management as it is clear that has a high pass to it and is not sending any signal to sub.
I would expect that direct mode is pure signal with no processing, So it wil be pure full range 2.0
I guess there might be a new firmware in the future.

You can check post 76 from a user with the same case. So is a total of four users that has the same case.

John Casler

« Reply #108 on: 15 May 2014, 06:50 pm »
I believe that is correct, that the DIRECT runs the signal Direct by-passing the Equalization Circuit.

The Mains/Sub relationship (XO) will not change.  It does not by-pass the XO you set up.

I don't think DIRECT is intended to be "PURE" as in taking the XO's you set out of the circuit.  Many have smaller L&R and most all have subs, so the XO you set remains.

At least that is my understanding.

If you "normally" run your speakers as Large, they will stay large, if you run them as Small, they will stay small using the DIRECT mode.

ricardojoa

« Reply #109 on: 15 May 2014, 09:48 pm »
Well, based on the faq of the avp18 direct mode is discribed as

"What is “Direct" and does EQ have any effect with this setting?

“Direct” refers to a ‘purist’ form of decoding, such that the AVP-18 turns off all DSP enhancements like room correction and EQ. It’s recommended for dedicated 2-channel audio, but not for Movie sound tracks (except perhaps, acoustic music videos, etc.)."

If is recommended for 2 ch. it would be better being large rather high pass, because some people have the settings at 80hz and it would be too high for music with no sub.

jpm

« Reply #110 on: 16 May 2014, 07:00 pm »
Is there any information available on support for HDMI 2.0 with the AVP18 ?

ricardojoa

« Reply #111 on: 21 May 2014, 07:00 am »
Has anyone use REW with the avp18?

John Casler

« Reply #112 on: 21 May 2014, 07:07 pm »
Is there any information available on support for HDMI 2.0 with the AVP18 ?

At this point the Video Transciever Board is set up for HDMI 1.4

ricardojoa

« Reply #113 on: 22 May 2014, 12:56 pm »
So how many bugs are there still with the avp18?
Here is the problem, the unit will not play music after it has been shut down, and then turn on. Its been twice since i updated the firm ware. It didnt happen before. I needed to fully switch off and reboot the unit in order to work.

I thought nuforce would be better then emotiva. Maybe not.

John Casler

« Reply #114 on: 22 May 2014, 07:17 pm »
So how many bugs are there still with the avp18?
Here is the problem, the unit will not play music after it has been shut down, and then turn on. Its been twice since i updated the firm ware. It didnt happen before. I needed to fully switch off and reboot the unit in order to work.

I thought nuforce would be better then emotiva. Maybe not.

Not aware of any bugs at the moment.

I have your question sent in to the support staff to see if they have encountered it.

But in the mean time check your menu setting and see if you have HDMI CEC Control "off or on".

If on, it can sometimes cause issues, especially if used with components designed before CEC was employed.

John Casler

« Reply #115 on: 31 May 2014, 12:30 am »
 Ricardojoa,

There has been only one other report of something like this, and the unit was returned for service.  While there the reported issue could not be duplicated.

It then had the new firmware "re-installed" and still not able to reproduce.

It was thought that there was a glitch of some type in uploading the most recent firmware upgrade (maybe a bad connection, or too long or low quality USB cable or even something within the specific computer)

I received the following instructions:

What you need to do is to run the Firmware upgrade software again, or download the older version, just in case, but we haven't been able to find any bugs.  Factory had performed continuously updating the firmware more than 20 times without having an issue.

To re-do the upgrade in the case of failed update, check the button: 'Re-Programming'

1)  Try again, if same problem persists,
2)  Try with a different PC/USB, change the USB port, change the USB cable (use a short one, don't use a 3-meter cable).
3)   Try with the old firmware upgrade software (the Windows software, not the firmware itself.

ricardojoa

« Reply #116 on: 31 May 2014, 07:23 am »
Thanks John.

I have the feature you mentioned disable and havent had that problem.

John Casler

« Reply #117 on: 31 May 2014, 08:20 am »
Thanks John.

I have the feature you mentioned disable and havent had that problem.

:thumb:  That's even better.

ricardojoa

« Reply #118 on: 27 Jun 2014, 01:21 pm »
:thumb:  That's even better.

Hi John,
interesting the unit just turn on without being able to detect any signal. This is happening again. So i need to switch off and turn on to be able to work again. Not sure why is doing this, and i dont know if nuforce would be even able to fix this gliich since it happens so randomly
It seems like there is random problem like this and the freeze that i still get while adjusting the EQ.

John Casler

« Reply #119 on: 28 Jun 2014, 12:12 am »
Hi John,
interesting the unit just turn on without being able to detect any signal. This is happening again. So i need to switch off and turn on to be able to work again. Not sure why is doing this, and i dont know if nuforce would be even able to fix this gliich since it happens so randomly
It seems like there is random problem like this and the freeze that i still get while adjusting the EQ.

Sorry to hear of the re-occurrence.

It is my understanding, that out of all the AVP-18 units out in the field, only one other had a similar issue.  It was eventually sent in to SERVICE, they re-updated the firmware, and no problems since.

It was thought that the cable the customer used to update the firmware was quite long, and somehow corrupted the upload files.

Have filed a SUPPORT TICKET?