Speaker recommendations in the $5-12k range

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: Speaker recommendations in the $5-12k range
« Reply #20 on: 23 Apr 2010, 05:33 pm »
Thiel CS-3.7's.  Sensitivity 90dB, freq response  33-26K.  Great neutral sounding speaker with great resolution and clarity.  I heard these on an all Bryston set up and they sounded fantastick.  One of my favorite speakers.

http://www.thielaudio.com/THIEL_Site05/Pages/models/Current_Models/CS3_7/cs3_7main.shtml

I would also include the PSB Synchrony One's.  They are a great speaker with a slightly warmer sound, excellent detail, with excellent Bass. They sell for $5K.  This speaker is a sleeper and giant killer.

http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/Synchrony/Synchrony-One

ctviggen

« Reply #21 on: 23 Apr 2010, 05:40 pm »
I'm always curious as to why a price range is listed without some of the more germane parameters like imaging, detail, tone, listener fatigue, listener age, musical preferences, impedance/reactiveness, dipole/bipole/array/point source dispersion, etc. 

Mainly because a lot of these can't reasonably be ascertained or aren't germane.  For instance, I would describe the imaging of my Salk HT3s as not being as good as my RM40s.  What have I just told you that you could use to suggest a speaker to someone?  My age is X.  Consequently, which speaker model would be better for me?  In my opinion, age has little to do with speaker suggestions. 

And listener fatigue?  One person's listener fatigue is another person's nirvana.  Take B&W speakers for example.  To me, I get listener fatigue on these seconds after they start playing. Yet B&W has many followers. 

Napalm

« Reply #22 on: 23 Apr 2010, 05:48 pm »
If he is into sparse arrangements jazz & vocals, and acoustic instruments recordings, (i.e. any "delicate" sounding music) I would add PMC to the auditioning list.

If he wants more brute force (as for big orchestra, rock, pop, and generally music that benefits from  "punch" and dynamics) I would add Paradigm Signature S8 (the V2 with beryllium tweeters) to the auditioning list.

Nap.  :thumb:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #23 on: 23 Apr 2010, 06:13 pm »
Speakers will be used for all types of music and also HT.

Bob, you posts nails exactly why I didn't get into those "germane parameters".

I am simply trying to help a friend by suggesting brands - basically online brianstorming.

He is more than capable of figuring out how to audition/buy based on his likes and dislikes.

Keep the suggestions coming gang.

Thanks,

George

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #24 on: 23 Apr 2010, 06:25 pm »
Maybe one of the two Gallos (stratas & sub, or Ref 3.5) described in this review? Depending on specifics of what is good re: WAF, these may work well:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/gallo9/ref35.html

I'll second this, I'm very familiar with most of Anthony's work and currently have the Reference 3.5 speakers.

P.S. since folks are posting pictures...

« Last Edit: 23 Apr 2010, 07:49 pm by Barry_NJ »

ebag4

« Reply #25 on: 23 Apr 2010, 06:33 pm »
I haven't heard them but LoneWolfNY Chris apparently really loved the Leneham ML1s he heard at RMAF:
http://www.lenehanaudio.com.au/

Difficult/Impossible to audition here in the states, would also need a sub or two for HT.  Great WAF!

Best,
Ed

TONEPUB

« Reply #26 on: 23 Apr 2010, 06:53 pm »
I'd buy a pair of Verity Audio Rienze's.  About 9k.  Gorgeous, great sound, and work equally well with tubes or solid state.

http://www.verityaudio.com/en/index.php/products/rienzi

toobluvr

« Reply #27 on: 23 Apr 2010, 07:23 pm »
Thiel CS-3.7's.  Sensitivity 90dB, freq response  33-26K.  Great neutral sounding speaker with great resolution and clarity.  I heard these on an all Bryston set up and they sounded fantastick.  One of my favorite speakers.

http://www.thielaudio.com/THIEL_Site05/Pages/models/Current_Models/CS3_7/cs3_7main.shtml

I haven't heard that particular Thiel model, but combining the other Thiels I have heard with Bryston is just about the last setup I would ever wanna own!  That is, if you prize musicality and prefer not to have ringing ears.   :o 

No offense.....just my opinion and tastes.

toobluvr

« Reply #28 on: 23 Apr 2010, 07:31 pm »
I'm always curious as to why a price range is listed without some of the more germane parameters like imaging, detail, tone, listener fatigue, listener age, musical preferences, impedance/reactiveness, dipole/bipole/array/point source dispersion, etc.  Especially at this price range.  Excuse me, but is this an audiophile in pocketbook only?

Why bother?    :dunno: 

The way it usually works on here is guys just recommend what they own or like anyways......usually with complete disregard to stated requirements and parameters.   You see it all the time.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #29 on: 23 Apr 2010, 07:37 pm »
You might want to put these on your list to consider. Sold factory direct for $4,495 and easily worth the $8,990 retail price.

http://www.clearwaveloudspeaker.com/MelodiaRA72.html

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #30 on: 23 Apr 2010, 07:50 pm »
I haven't heard that particular Thiel model, but combining the other Thiels I have heard with Bryston is just about the last setup I would ever wanna own!  That is, if you prize musicality and prefer not to have ringing ears.   :o 

No offense.....just my opinion and tastes.

John,

These could be the first Thiels that you like and listen to.

I have heard them at RMAF and I wanted to stay in the room and not run!

George

chrisby

« Reply #31 on: 23 Apr 2010, 08:13 pm »
Emerald 2.3s?

Clayton and Walter's  "holistic" system approach certainly isn't new, and makes a lot of sense, but could still be hard for us bandwagon / carousel riders to wrap our heads around.

"but what'll I do when the next big thing shows up?"  :wink:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/emerald/emerald.html

ricmon

« Reply #32 on: 23 Apr 2010, 08:15 pm »
  The Lipinski L-707

This a pic of the original 707 they now have an upgraded version for almost double the price.  I can't say enough about their resolving power.  And yes all the rumors about this speaker are true.  However they do require a sub to get that deep deep bass.

Ric

toobluvr

« Reply #33 on: 23 Apr 2010, 08:32 pm »
John,

These could be the first Thiels that you like and listen to.

I have heard them at RMAF and I wanted to stay in the room and not run!

George

Thanks George.  I try to keep an open mind.  That's why I qualified my statement as I did.

Mariusz

« Reply #34 on: 23 Apr 2010, 08:44 pm »
  The Lipinski L-707

This a pic of the original 707 they now have an upgraded version for almost double the price.  I can't say enough about their resolving power.  And yes all the rumors about this speaker are true.  However they do require a sub to get that deep deep bass.

Ric

They do sound great but..... sub is a must and WAF isn't that high.
IMHO.

PS
Met father and son ones.
Great people.
Classic music recording background doesn't hurt either. 

Almost bought those years ago.
But opt for Vandersteen Quatros instead. 

Cheers   

rahimlee54

« Reply #35 on: 23 Apr 2010, 08:58 pm »
While very good, Selah and Salk are typically in the mid 80's efficiency range, and therefore do not meet the last requirement.

I was talking mostly about the line arrays, but there may be a couple other models that are in the area.  I could be wrong however.  :D

Ericus Rex

« Reply #36 on: 23 Apr 2010, 09:45 pm »
3A Grand Veena

+1   :thumb:

But you may still need a sub if you're looking for earthshaking 30 Hz.  Nice WAF and great sound!

decal

« Reply #37 on: 23 Apr 2010, 09:56 pm »
Check out some offerings from Tyler Acoustics.

Will2

« Reply #38 on: 24 Apr 2010, 12:36 am »
My take is that once you are in this price range for living room speakers and choosing amongst the better quality:value offerings out there the most important factor becomes WAF, and WAF is of course very personal.  My personal preferences have been AudioKinesis if you like the clean/modern art deco look or Daedalus for the solid-wood "furniture" look.  I have yet to see AudioKinesis come up used but Daedalus does come up used infrequently and for some reason used buyers don't seem to know about them so prices are very keen when they do sell.  Both seem great speakers to me ...... but what do I know   :roll:

Daverz

« Reply #39 on: 24 Apr 2010, 02:24 am »
In my local speaker shopping, the only speakers I felt that I could probably live with soundwise were the Aerial 9, the B&W 802 D (but not lesser models), and Vandersteen.  OK, maybe the huge Quads, too, but those probably have very low WAF.  The Aerial 9s are very attractive in natural cherry.

I think the first speaker in the Vandersteen line that has any WAF would be the Quatro Wood, though I really like the sleek, understated look of my cloth Quatros.