Ribbon
Electrostat
Magnetic Planar
Whizzer
None
AMT
Compression
Other

What type of tweeter do you prefer and why?

Wind Chaser

What type of tweeter do you prefer and why?
« on: 27 Sep 2016, 05:17 am »
In addition to casting a ballot, please consider leaving a comment below as to why you preference works for you.

I will l leave the poll open indefinitely. Results will appear after you make a choice.

Wind Chaser

Re: What type of tweeter do you prefer and why?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2016, 05:38 am »
I've owned and heard a few examples all of the above, but I can't make up my mind. The high-frequency driver certainly plays a huge role in the overall sound of any given speaker.

UpperCut

• UpperCut - Audio
« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2016, 08:16 am »
Well, these I personally endorse are not mentioned in your poll nor are these to my knowledge well liked at all, but I do personally like them very much because these 'Titanium Bullet Horn Tweeter' are extremely Crisp which I prefer because at my age of 65 hearing degrades downwards and my own tested frequency is around 17,000Hz. So I do prefer the 'Titanium Bullet Horn Tweeter' in my Automotive (7 Seated Coach Van) as well as in my advanced Hi-Fi listening!

Only yesterday as well as today I was dwelling on that exact issue while keep running in a brand new three (3) way set up been so very pleased with these Tweeters performance which is between 2000Hz & 25,000Hz crossed at 3,000 & 5,400Hz while testing!

rgs UpperCut

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep 2016, 09:31 am »
What about AMTs? (That would be my vote)

Some might consider ring radiators a type of tweeter (just a thought).

Rocket

« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2016, 10:20 am »
Hi Guys,

I can only comment on dome vs ribbon tweeters.  In my experience ribbons when implemented well are hard to beat.

Cheers Rod

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #5 on: 27 Sep 2016, 12:00 pm »
Even though I'm listening to a beautiful dome tweeter from Scanspeak, I've always liked ribbon tweeters the best.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 27 Sep 2016, 12:27 pm »
Tweeters are excellent for skeet shooting for audio they are awfull a necessary evil, or unnecessary if you use a small 4'' fullrange as Mark Audio or Fostex.
« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2016, 01:33 pm by FullRangeMan »

JohnR

« Reply #7 on: 27 Sep 2016, 12:31 pm »
Right, I think you were supposed to vote "None" ;)

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 27 Sep 2016, 12:40 pm »
Correct none, I mean said for audio hifi, for pro-audio the SQ not important and so tweeters are useful.

gnostalgick

« Reply #9 on: 27 Sep 2016, 01:11 pm »
Hard to say, as its the midrange that makes or breaks a speaker for me; and domes seem to be featured in the most common 2 way designs that do this well. 
However I also tend to be impressed with the soundstage & ambiance of speakers with a greater than 20kHz response--and these most popularly involve ribbons.  I voted ribbons as I feel they have the most potential.

mcgsxr

« Reply #10 on: 27 Sep 2016, 01:23 pm »
I wish I could decide!

I have owned many types over the years.  I have certainly not heard all implementations though!

I believe i return most frequently to metal domes for long term enjoyment.   The 2 longest term speakers I ever owned were Totem Rokk (metal dome) for 10 years.  Juxtaposed with that is a 10 year run with no tweeter on OB using full range Visaton drivers.

Totem Sttaf lasted about 6 weeks (soft dome), Totem Model 1's one year, Paradigm Reference 20's 1 year, Maggie MMG's lasted about 4 weeks, Maggie 1.6QR's 1 year.

Currently loving a set of Focal Electra's with titanium domes (not the newer beryllium ones).

I believe I return to dome tweeters because I am most familiar with them.  Perhaps it is dispersion characteristics, or how they integrate with a given woofer, or perhaps my cloth ears just respond better to their brand of treble.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #11 on: 27 Sep 2016, 01:25 pm »
One of the problems I see when focusing on part of the speaker is the emphasis it's given at the expense of the rest.  Ideally one would look at the total package to have a balanced perspective.  Even single driver fans fall into this trap.  And the total package should really include the room and amplification.  Paul Klipsch was one who had the holistic approach with his K-horns and promoting good 5 watt amplifiers.

To my ear, modern speakers tend to unrealistically emphasize high frequencies to produce a sprightly/up-tilted sound at the expense of full/musical bass and mid-bass body.  I blame a number of factors for this:  Overseas values for this type of sound filtering into the U.S.; close miking techniques; smaller/fewer private housing; more desktop listening; counter measure for the emphasis on subwoofers; more interest in smaller extended range drivers.

Regardless the survey should be revised to allow "other" versus "none" as an option to account for other less popular technologies, like plasma or even waveguide loaded concentric domes which I'd vote for.

srb

« Reply #12 on: 27 Sep 2016, 02:08 pm »
I like the nuance and quickness of ribbon tweeters and they sound the most natural to me.  I've owned models with the Aurum Cantus folded ribbons and have auditioned speakers with the RAAL flat foil ribbon and I think the RAAL ribbons take it to the next level over the AC and LCY ribbons.

To be fair, I haven't listened to the very best domes that cost as much or more than the RAAL ribbons, and it's quite possible that the combination of reduced mass and magnetic design of these flagship domes make the tweeter type a non-issue.

Although my hearing only goes up to ~ 15kHz - 16kHz, all of the full-range single driver speakers I've owned and listened to leave me feeling like someone tossed a blanket t-shirt over the speaker to dull the sound.

Steve

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 27 Sep 2016, 02:13 pm »
For xovers and tweeters fans there is Plasma tweeters:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEeWtBAE5LY

rpf

« Reply #14 on: 27 Sep 2016, 02:45 pm »
What about AMTs? (That would be my vote)

Seconded. I don't recall hearing a RAAL though. Followed by silk dome or electrostat. I can't stand metal or ceramic dome tweeters although beryllium can be tolerated (probably not long term though).
« Last Edit: 1 Oct 2016, 06:03 pm by rpf »

FireGuy

« Reply #15 on: 27 Sep 2016, 02:56 pm »
I would like to say here's my fav based on all the tweeter technology that's out there, but I have not auditioned all of them.

I've heard plenty of domes and a couple of folded ribbons and single driver.  Of this list,  single driver hands down (to my ears) is the best.  Both whizzer and whizzerless.  Their presentation smooth as Häagen-Dazs.  Zero exaggeration and an overrall quality that is organic.   

Wind Chaser

« Reply #16 on: 27 Sep 2016, 05:05 pm »
I've heard plenty of domes and a couple of folded ribbons and single driver.  Of this list,  single driver hands down (to my ears) is the best.  Both whizzer and whizzerless.  Their presentation smooth as Häagen-Dazs.  Zero exaggeration and an overrall quality that is organic.   

I used to think that. Single drivers can be wonderful in the mids but they really don't do much for me at the bottom or the top.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #17 on: 27 Sep 2016, 05:52 pm »
The poll needs to be modified to include compression drivers.
I'm using coated titanium compression drivers  in waveguides. I don't find them harsh. 
Compression tweeters have a bad rep among the audiophile community but when they're employed correctly, they can be very smooth, detailed and fast. My previous speakers were single drivers and in some ways I find the compression drivers in my current speakers less fatiguing while being more extended and detailed. They are also very efficient.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #18 on: 27 Sep 2016, 06:05 pm »
Poll amended to include AMT, Compression, and other.  :D

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #19 on: 27 Sep 2016, 06:17 pm »
pro-audio the SQ not important and so tweeters are useful.

All of the tweeters mentioned, except whizzer, would be better than a full range driver. I like different aspects of different tweeters so no real favorite. I guess my favorite would be whatever tweeter is working best in my seystem at any given time.

Rocket_Undulating_Ronny