Recommendations for $2000 active audio/HT speakers

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Recommendations for $2000 active audio/HT speakers
« Reply #80 on: 2 Mar 2012, 10:41 am »
Oh and BTW I'm heavily into nearfield listening (trying to remove the room from impacting the sound), so another reason for me not to be interested in Thiel.

Like others have posted, it looks more and more like powered subs as speaker stands for active 2-way monitors would realistically fit the cost/acoustic goals.

Most audiophiles just can't seem to wake up to all the advantages of active design and even when they do, its usually a reworked passive design.

If they did, I'd think we'd be covered in active 2-way floorstanders at various price points.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #81 on: 2 Mar 2012, 03:36 pm »

Most audiophiles just can't seem to wake up to all the advantages of active design and even when they do, its usually a reworked passive design.

If they did, I'd think we'd be covered in active 2-way floorstanders at various price points.

Most audiophiles are willing to embrace just about anything that increases their goosebump factor. I believe that most of us will abandon whatever we are using to embrace something new if it fundamentally moves us forward in our musical quest. That's sort of the whole reason for exploring all of this. Am I too optimistic?

As I admitted to earlier, the Adam speakers were the first actives that actually made me consider active speakers for home use, so there you go. I am enlightened. There was another brand I heard in the 15-20k price range that was also very good, but there was no real "advantage" at that price level (to me anyway). As for trickle down theory, well, there are plenty of choices in your price range - hey you should be so lucky. I think your real issue is that you want twenty thousand dollar performance in a two thousand dollar package. You can't get there from here. Save your money and wait for it.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #82 on: 2 Mar 2012, 08:14 pm »
i think active speakers are awesome.  but, the reason it has not gotten much play in the "audiophile" world, methinks, is cuz audiophiles like to choose their own amps.  an easy way around this is to bypass the x-overs in conwentional speakers, and use an outboard active x-over w/separate amplification for each driver.  roll your own active speakers!   :wink:  more mfr's are getting into this, as they know the adwantages of active x-overs and going to active speakers, w/one amp per driver...  or, go further, and buy separate drivers, and build cabinet(s) for them yourself. 

one of my speaker systems is set up this way - active dsp 3-way x-over; a pair of vmps larger subs below 80hz; a pair of klipsch lascala modded bass-bins w/fostex pro-audio drivers from 80hz-300hz; a pair of decware-modded fostex fe206e's in oris 150 horns above 300hz.   separate amplification for all the drivers...  8)

ymmv,

doug s.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #83 on: 3 Mar 2012, 08:31 pm »
wynnytsk is asked not to post in this circle again.

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #84 on: 4 Mar 2012, 12:17 am »
WOW!!! That was the quickest here and gone that I ever witnessed. Makes me think he wandered in here because he's already been kicked out of everywhere else. I don't look at other sites besides this and Audiogon. Has anyone else ever run across that dude elsewhere?

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
« Reply #85 on: 4 Mar 2012, 02:19 am »
I am a bit surprised at two things:

1. That a 6-1/2" driver in a ported enclosure is down as much as -6dB at 60Hz, instead of -3dB.
2. If the intention is that they be used with the subwoofer that they did not choose a sealed aligment for the mains.

Maybe they're using a relatively low-tuned vented box, whose rolloff therefore starts higher up but is more gentle, sort of like a sealed-box-emulation approach.  The advantages would include higher excursion-limited power handling over its passband and a lower F3 than if the box were sealed.

Or maybe they just took the inevitable box design/bass extension/efficiency tradeoffs a bit further in the direction of efficiency.

Or maybe they're anticipating an even-order crossover topology to the sub that would have the lowpass and highpass drivers both -6 dB at the crossover frequency.

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
« Reply #86 on: 4 Mar 2012, 02:23 am »
Sorry double post; meant to modify the post above and apparently I hit "Quote".