Need lower hz module for 2way monitors

roymail

• Roy in TX
Need lower hz module for 2way monitors
« on: 22 Feb 2012, 09:25 pm »
I'm happy with my 2way monitors, but I want to build two bass modules which use a single 10" driver each.  I have a limit of 20" tall, 12.5" wide, and XX" deep.  I'm hoping for an efficiency of no less than 89db or more.

Any ideas, questions, advice, direction, etc is welcome.  THX!

Cacophonix

Re: Need lower hz module for 2way monitors
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2012, 10:01 pm »
I was also looking at build a pair of sub-woofers that could double up as speaker stands. But then my room is quite large, and has serious bass issues. So i'm still looking around.

But have you looked at dayton reference 10" HO with 300w BASH? HO version is designed to be used in small cabs, and should easily work for you. Or even the TC sounds epic 10" with the same BASH amp?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 23 Feb 2012, 10:49 am »
Yes, sub/speaker stands.  With the price of good quality stands this makes lots of sense.  Like many I may have limited footprint available in the future (planning ahead).

Need plate amp to crossover around 40Hz, but BASH 300 lacks left/right main speaker outputs.   :(

Closest thing I've found retail is the Salk SongSub (16x16x24, 12 inch woof, 500w BASH, $1,000 each).  That's a bit pricey for just the last octave.

mrhyfy

« Reply #3 on: 3 Mar 2012, 05:12 pm »
Don't forget that subs are sensitive to room placement.  You may end up with some serious nodal points that can be hard to level out...

jackman

« Reply #4 on: 3 Mar 2012, 05:24 pm »
I'm happy with my 2way monitors, but I want to build two bass modules which use a single 10" driver each.  I have a limit of 20" tall, 12.5" wide, and XX" deep.  I'm hoping for an efficiency of no less than 89db or more.

Any ideas, questions, advice, direction, etc is welcome.  THX!

I have Bamberg Series 5 monitors with sub stands.  I don't know if Phil will sell a kit but my sub-stands integrate perfectly with the monitors and sound great.  Very musical and they go low.  They are a PR design with 10" woofers.  I use a DCX2496 as a crossover (with Crown K1 amp)  for the subs but Phil's new design uses plate amps with built in xover.  He also uses 2 PR's versus my older design which uses a single 12" passive.  I've yet to hear a 3 way passive design with better bass than my Bamberg 5's. 

Here are some pictures: 

nrenter

« Reply #5 on: 3 Mar 2012, 06:02 pm »
Don't forget that subs are sensitive to room placement.  You may end up with some serious nodal points that can be hard to level out...

That's a great point. Sub stands are a great idea, but would need to have a graphic and / or parametric EQ to mitigate the issue of unideal placement.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #6 on: 3 Mar 2012, 06:11 pm »
I have Bamberg Series 5 monitors with sub stands.  I don't know if Phil will sell a kit but my sub-stands integrate perfectly with the monitors and sound great.  Very musical and they go low.  They are a PR design with 10" woofers.  I use a DCX2496 as a crossover (with Crown K1 amp)  for the subs but Phil's new design uses plate amps with built in xover.  He also uses 2 PR's versus my older design which uses a single 12" passive.  I've yet to hear a 3 way passive design with better bass than my Bamberg 5's. 

Here are some pictures: 

Those are great looking speaks. Why doesn't Bamberg get more press? :scratch:

Jon L

« Reply #7 on: 3 Mar 2012, 06:16 pm »
Why place your precious mid/treble on top of thunderously vibrating bass modules?  Most people have no choice as the bass is integrated into speakers, but you have a choice of separating your monitors from bass.  This would allow you to place bass drivers where they sound best, which is usually not where mid/treble sounds best.  I suggest really good fillable metal stands for monitors, then placing 2 bass modules at different parts of the room that gives the most even bass response. 

mrhyfy

« Reply #8 on: 3 Mar 2012, 06:46 pm »
Why place your precious mid/treble on top of thunderously vibrating bass modules?  Most people have no choice as the bass is integrated into speakers, but you have a choice of separating your monitors from bass.  This would allow you to place bass drivers where they sound best, which is usually not where mid/treble sounds best.  I suggest really good fillable metal stands for monitors, then placing 2 bass modules at different parts of the room that gives the most even bass response.

Aren't you really pointing out the disadvantage of "full range" speakers over "monitors"?

srb

« Reply #9 on: 3 Mar 2012, 06:51 pm »
Why place your precious mid/treble on top of thunderously vibrating bass modules?

You don't want to or can't spend an extra $400-$500 for really good quality metal stands and/or you simply don't have the extra floor space for subwoofers?  Sometimes compromises have to be made.

From your gallery it looks like you have mid/treble units on top of thunderously vibrating bass modules!  Nice looking (and likely sounding) active speaker combo, by the way.

Steve

mrhyfy

« Reply #10 on: 3 Mar 2012, 07:07 pm »

You don't want to or can't spend an extra $400-$500 for really good quality metal stands and/or you simply don't have the extra floor space for subwoofers?  Sometimes compromises have to be made.

From your gallery it looks like you have mid/treble units on top of thunderously vibrating bass modules!  Nice looking (and likely sounding) active speaker combo, by the way.

Steve

good point,,,all speaker systems are a selection of compromises

jackman

« Reply #11 on: 4 Mar 2012, 03:53 pm »
Those are great looking speaks. Why doesn't Bamberg get more press? :scratch:

I keep asking myself the same question.  Here is a recent review of the new version of the Series 5's: http://www.dagogo.com/View-Article.asp?hArticle=865

Phil is as good (or better!) than any of the guys getting all of the press.  Can't figure out why his speakers are not more popular but I've got a couple theories.  He is an extremely talented speaker designer but not a very good marketer.  Also, he doesn't make a passive 3-way design, and, per Phil, he never will.  Phil's 3 ways all have active woofer sections and his older designs required the use of a DCX and separate amplification, which he sells fully programmed with several slope options and EQ capability, for the subwoofer section.  Some people may have been scared off by the DCX.  Mine is the older design and it sounds awesome. 

The new Bamberg designs (Series 5 and upcoming Series 6's) use active subwoofers in the bass section, but they now use a plate amp for the subwoofer section and electronic high-pass filters for the monitors, which are passive xovers (active is available).  I'm going to host a get-together at the end of March or early April with the new Series 6's for anyone who wants to hear them.  Bamberg is a perfectionist and he takes a long time to fine tune his designs.  The 6's are a statement piece and I suspect they will sound very good. 

http://bambergaudio.com/products/in-development/series-6.php

Lastly, I love bass and, in my experience, the sub sections do not vibrate the monitor sections.  I've tried a few different materials between the subs and the monitors and have settled on sheets of sorbothane (sp?).  The sorbothane is very sticky and offers shock and vibration dampening.  Prying the monitors from the bases takes some effort!  The monitors are heavy and well braced and the heavily braced sub sections are wider at the bottom Iit's hard to see in the photo) and spiked (and did I mention heavy as well?).  Even on bass heavy music at high levels, the subwoofer bases do not vibrate the monitors so it's a non issue. 

Sorry if my comments are off topic but I was trying to point out that it can be done (subwoofer bases).  Every design has positives and negatives and compromises.  In my system, I prefer a two piece sub, monitor option because it allows for flexibility.  Plus, when you ship them, you can ship standard UPS (four boxes) instead of two massive heavy boxes!

Cheers,

J