New prices, features, or games tempting anyone to get the XBox 360?

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Lips Karaoke?

New $299 or $349 models?

Netflix on the Xbox 360?

The New Xbox Experience?

A Red and/or Green controller?

Or are you tempted buy a Wii or PS3 for $399

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
About 2 weeks ago, I had to make this decision. 

I bought the xbox 360 pro 60gb for 350 because i had an urge to play halo and an unused gift card from last christmas that i figured I might as well use. But then had second thoughts about not getting the extended warranty through the store because I remembered something about overheating. So I decided not to open it and did some searches on the net about that ring of death --general fault.  I started thinking about getting the ps3. Then I heard this 360 pro was going to be dropped in price to $300 in a few days, and had second thoughts about that too. I had played, and loved all of the halo series. I had an xbox live account already at my friends down the street to play the 360 online...  In the end, I decided to just get the ps3. I really love it. I didn't like the idea of having to buy a wireless adapter, and am not going to have to worry about the reliability.

Plus I have been going to hollywood video and they have "free rentals" (oxymoron?) of blu ray movies to kick it up a notch! Although selection is pretty limited.

I have played metal gear solid, the cod 4, and armored core. All have been good. I only played cod4 as online multiplayer, and it satisfied the halo craving.

Really happy with the PS3. Just need to find some people out there with this system to buddy up with. 

-Tony

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Really happy with the PS3. Just need to find some people out there with this system to buddy up with. 
Tony, I'm suprised there hasn't been an online AudioCircle gaming get together.
I'd love the opportunity to talk some smack to my fellow audio brethren.....Just before I kick your ass.  :icon_twisted: :lol:

Bob

mcullinan

I am a natural at all FPS, love rpgs, and have really been getting into horror games like FEAR, BioShock and Condemned 2. Loved Mass Effect... FPS: COD4, Halo3, Tom Clancy Rainbow 6 Vegas 2(playing now), Battlefield. I loved Assassins Creed a lot because of its excellent story. Hmm... Did I miss any.. hehe. All on XBOX 360. Played on my Samsung 245T 24" monitor. Sweet!
Peace.
Mike

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
I'll run the occasional race car around the track, but mainly I like FPS's. I don't get a chance to play very often so I'm not *very* good. Currently the FPS's I've got are Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, Halo (#2 I think) and European Assault. Remember "Full Spectrum Warrior" on PC? I finished that game two or three times. Loved it!
Since I'm not phsyco about gaming I don't buy the latest and greatest games. I wait for those to come down in price before I buy them. I used to be very heavy into RPG's (Myst!  aa) but lack the time to progress through the game since I forget where I've been from the last time I played. The lack of highspeed Internet in my area has also let the wind out of my gaming sails, but that's due to change in a couple weeks. My nine year old son crapped himself when I told him Highspeed was available in our area now. The first thing he said was, "We can get XBox LIVE now, can't we Dad"?  :bounce: :hyper:

"Yes son".   8)

Mike, I don't how you could game on a 24incher. Dude, I don't mean to kick you in the nads' but you GOTTA get something bigger to view. Find yourself a used projector on a white wall or something. Gaming with your audio rig on a monster projection screen is.......I can't put words to it man. It's one of those "gotta see" to get the full effect kinda thing.  aa

Bob

Woodsea

I have been remiss in my duties in this special interest circle.  Being in Cuba and on satellite only, hampered my online gaming.  Now, that I have a house in MD, I have DSL, Fios is 6-9 months away.   I will again buy a console, I sold my Japanese 360 when I left Mongolia. 
The xbox is still a viable 2 year investment, the non-br for gaming is rearing its ugly head for the amount of data that can be used in a particular game though.  The x I believe still has the most exciting games over Wii and 3.  Wii is out of the picture for me, too juvenile, and my kids are happy with their DS's.
The Sony is a great machine, but lacks more than 5 games that I have read that I really gotta have.  Which is a shame.  I still have not been sold on BR.  I question the long term viability of BR over other options that will rear their heads in the coming (2) years.
If you guys want to get an AC gaming club going, it will really push me over to get the console that much quicker!!!!!
By the way, DSL sucks.

mcullinan

I play pretty much every night. A lil more than casual, maybe harcore idk... If we can decide on a game to play we could get together... Id say I play 1.5 hrs per night 3 or 4 on the weekend.
Mike

jqp

• Volunteer
I'd love the opportunity to talk some smack to my fellow audio brethren...
If you guys want to get an AC gaming club going, it will really push me over to get the console that much quicker!!!!!

I have played with mcrespo71 and possibly bubba on XBox Live many moons ago.

It would be a blast to have and AC group playing online - especially with the days getting shorter  :uzi:   :guns:  :peek:

jqp

• Volunteer
I have been remiss in my duties in this special interest circle.  Being in Cuba and on satellite only, hampered my online gaming.  Now, that I have a house in MD, I have DSL, Fios is 6-9 months away.   I will again buy a console, I sold my Japanese 360 when I left Mongolia. 
The xbox is still a viable 2 year investment, the non-br for gaming is rearing its ugly head for the amount of data that can be used in a particular game though.  The x I believe still has the most exciting games over Wii and 3.  Wii is out of the picture for me, too juvenile, and my kids are happy with their DS's.
The Sony is a great machine, but lacks more than 5 games that I have read that I really gotta have.  Which is a shame.  I still have not been sold on BR.  I question the long term viability of BR over other options that will rear their heads in the coming (2) years.
By the way, DSL sucks.

Your XBox is waiting!

mcullinan

I'll run the occasional race car around the track, but mainly I like FPS's. I don't get a chance to play very often so I'm not *very* good. Currently the FPS's I've got are Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, Halo (#2 I think) and European Assault. Remember "Full Spectrum Warrior" on PC? I finished that game two or three times. Loved it!
Since I'm not phsyco about gaming I don't buy the latest and greatest games. I wait for those to come down in price before I buy them. I used to be very heavy into RPG's (Myst!  aa) but lack the time to progress through the game since I forget where I've been from the last time I played. The lack of highspeed Internet in my area has also let the wind out of my gaming sails, but that's due to change in a couple weeks. My nine year old son crapped himself when I told him Highspeed was available in our area now. The first thing he said was, "We can get XBox LIVE now, can't we Dad"?  :bounce: :hyper:

"Yes son".   8)

Mike, I don't how you could game on a 24incher. Dude, I don't mean to kick you in the nads' but you GOTTA get something bigger to view. Find yourself a used projector on a white wall or something. Gaming with your audio rig on a monster projection screen is.......I can't put words to it man. It's one of those "gotta see" to get the full effect kinda thing.  aa

Bob
Its not as bad as you think. It doubles as my computer monitor so Im very close. Its high def... and in reality the larger you go, you are just spreading those pixels over that area. At 24" everything is razor sharp and since im about 2 ft from it the size is fine.
Mike

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
Its not as bad as you think. It doubles as my computer monitor so Im very close. Its high def... and in reality the larger you go, you are just spreading those pixels over that area. At 24" everything is razor sharp and since im about 2 ft from it the size is fine.
You're right! If you're siting 2' from a highdef 24", then you can see what's going on better than I can.
Nice!

Yea, Once I get everything going (2-3 weeks?) I'd be interested in having a get together. Although, I say that but have no idea what Xbox LIVE even costs. I never checked since it wasn't available.

Woodsea - DSL may "suck" if you experienced faster connections, but when you're used to logging on at 36,000 - 49,900bps and that's considered "good", then DSL feels like a sports car compaired to a bicycle.  :lol:

Bob

Toka

I'm an avid 360 player...cannot wait for Gears Of War 2! (and Fable 2). Still trying to slog through Lost Odyssey...its amazing on some levels, but the gameplay is essentially the same ol' Japanese RPG conventions that have been around for decades. Looking for healing herbs in flower pots, etc. Games like Mass Effect really show how far things have come. I'll still finish LO, but its becoming a chore.  :duh:

lord_glum

My .02....

I would not worry about your xbox blowing up; I have not heard of newer 360's blowing up.  Xbox customer service can be good.  They replaced mine for no cost and in 2 weeks. 

The xbox network is better than the PS3 network (not trying to flame, just the truth).  I have 1.5mb total bandwidth broadband and play COD4 on my ps3 but its more problematic by far than playing it on my 360.  360 is more like cable w/my internet speed.

The xbox store/dowloadable content is also top notch.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
I would not worry about your xbox blowing up; I have not heard of newer 360's blowing up.  Xbox customer service can be good.  They replaced mine for no cost and in 2 weeks. 
The first three Gen1's I went through (in less than a year) didn't blow up either. Nor did they let out their proverbial smoke. Just the famous RROD and seizing up. But the fourth one kicks ass. Maybe that's because I installed one of those $20 aftermarket coolers? Who knows.
I quickly learned that Walmarts exchange policy is much faster than Microsoft's is.  aa
Regarding the "LIVE" content, I just got highspeed a week or so ago and haven't introduced my unit to the outside world yet. I've got erratic bandwidth speeds that vary from 400-660kbps so I don't know how well it will work when things "get busy".

Bob

mcullinan

The first three Gen1's I went through (in less than a year) didn't blow up either. Nor did they let out their proverbial smoke. Just the famous RROD and seizing up. But the fourth one kicks ass. Maybe that's because I installed one of those $20 aftermarket coolers? Who knows.
I quickly learned that Walmarts exchange policy is much faster than Microsoft's is.  aa
Regarding the "LIVE" content, I just got highspeed a week or so ago and haven't introduced my unit to the outside world yet. I've got erratic bandwidth speeds that vary from 400-660kbps so I don't know how well it will work when things "get busy".

Bob
Actually they changed out the processor chip to a smaller fabrication, which runs it much cooler with less electricity. They did this around November of last year. I have one of the smaller die models. Anyways I think this mainly solved the overheating issue.
Mike

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
Not sure which Gen I ended up with. If memory serves, it's from August but's been a long time since I looked.
I thought about doing one of the (many) mods to the heat shink and "X" frame dealy thingamado but haven't gotten around to it.
I may not as this unit appears to be living a happy life as things are. <fingers crossed>

Bob

lord_glum

Bob,
Do you know what your upload speeds are?  Mine run around 500k and don't have any issues gaming (if you plan on gaming on line).

Jvo

mcullinan

Not sure which Gen I ended up with. If memory serves, it's from August but's been a long time since I looked.
I thought about doing one of the (many) mods to the heat shink and "X" frame dealy thingamado but haven't gotten around to it.
I may not as this unit appears to be living a happy life as things are. <fingers crossed>

Bob
There were some in the wild in August... you had to look at the code on the side of the box, plus make sure it was made in a certain Canadian plant after such and such a date.  It was nutty. I am nutty because I looked for all that crap. I had to return a few to make sure I got the right one. By November they were easier to pick up.
Mike

mcullinan

About bandwisth, I dont think you need that much, but it has to be a constant flow of info.. no interruptions.
Mike

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
Jvo - Not sure what upload speeds are. If I had to guess, they'd be a bit slower than yours based solely on my download speeds not being very high or very stable. I'm using "2WIRE.COM" to check my speed. Who are you using?

Mike, I guess I'm a nut too since I was following the gaming forums for awhile about which units are good and which are bad.
So don't worry, you're not alone.  :wink:

Bob