Speakers for M901/M1 combo

dunlapk

Speakers for M901/M1 combo
« on: 21 Jun 2010, 07:25 pm »
With much excitement, I ordered the M901/M1 combo today. Has anyone used any of the following speakers with either or both of these components?

- PSB Synchrony B
- PSB Synchrony Two
- PSB Image B25
- Silverline Prelude
- Silverline Minuet
- Usher 6371
- Usher BE-718
- Ascend Acoustics (any models)

Thanks in advance to anyone who may wish to share their experiences.

Kevin

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: Speakers for M901/M1 combo
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jun 2010, 07:45 pm »
Welcome to the club dunlapk, I recently acquired a TWO.2 and every day it impresses me more and more, I'm sure your combo should
absolutely rock!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

PSB Guy

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2010, 07:56 pm »
Hey Kevin,

I've been using PSB Image B5 in both my systems, ever since they became available earlier this year. The B5 is the replacement for the B15, the speaker one step down from the B25. Here's the link to the B5 and the B6, which replaced the B25:
http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/Image-Series/Image-B5-Bookshelf
http://www.psbspeakers.com/products/Image-Series/Image-B6-Bookshelf
My main system includes the M901 and the M1, run into B5s with an Elemental Designs A3S-250 sub. My office system uses the Virtue One run into B5s with a PSB Subseries One sub. The two things that stand out to me about the B5 are that they create a very wide and accurate soundstage, and that they have a bright (in a good way) and extended high end. For the money, about $400 US/Canadian, I don't think they can be beat IMHO. But, and I've said this before, use a good sub, especially with the Virtue amps. Cheers.

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jun 2010, 03:32 am »
My CBM-170s are just amazing and I hear that the 340s are an even better match to our current amps.  If you're interested, send me a PM so I can get you a pair to audition.  I like them so much we may start to carry them soon and do some combo deals with the amps.

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jun 2010, 03:56 am »
i have the usher 6381's which are 87 db. 8ohms and the 901 sounds great. the 6371's are 90 db. 4ohm. the 6311's are also 87db. 8ohm.

Mariusz

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jun 2010, 04:41 am »

I really like these Volent CS-2
Reasonable bass, extended trable, fleshed out middle-range.
Need some tube in the system (like new buffer option for Sensation or DAC like Maverick Tube Magic D-1) to bring the balance to its presantation and carefull setup.

Bigger budget
I would love to own these Davone Rithm speakers for their magical middle-range and imaging.

and quick notes copied from another thread:
"
Sometimes looks can be deceiving.......... but in this case, they also did sound really good.
Their strongest points: size, looks, smooth bass, chocolaty, rich middle-range
Minuses: because of the emphasized reproduction of mids, bass and highs could use some extra energy, crispiness (for the lock of a better words) to compensate. But that is where Virtue amp could help in bringing the best in these speakers. FWIW - I like these a lot.

Volent monitors with HSU sub sounded very dynamic tho.
As with most speakers with ribbon tweeters, positioning and associated gear is crucial.
It wasn't my setup but if it was,
-I would dump the Benchmark pre/DAC (too brightish for this setup)
-Get rid of the Nordost wiring
"

cstory

• Seaching for clues
« Reply #6 on: 28 Jun 2010, 09:32 pm »
Or you could save a lot of cash and get a pair of MF-7 speakers from Selah that use the same SEAS coax driver as the Davone's.  :wink:

Seriously... check out some of Selahs' monitors. They offer good cabinets and sound and the ratio of parts cost to total cost represents great value.

I have three of Rick's designs and they all sound very good. They don't seem particularly fussy speakers to drive.

Chuck

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #7 on: 8 Jul 2010, 03:35 am »
I am listening to Tekton 8.1T Monitors s right now with my Sensation and they are just so punchy and crisp and grow on me by the minute!
Eric Alexander has such a deep understanding of structuring cabinet dynamics

he can make your speakers sound the way you describe!  :eyebrows:
American master craftsman! A piece of art that sings so beautiful!
IMHO the Sensation and Tekton 8.1T absolutely will give you a two channel that lacks nothing with  musicality, profound bottom end and sublime voice!

momini1

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jul 2010, 01:11 pm »
I own two pairs of Tektons - the 4.5s and the the 6.5s. I used them extensively with tube amps and was very pleased with them. Eric is a good guy and offers a product that is fairly priced, well-built and a very good value. I wouldn't go smaller than the 6.5s, though. They are best for jazz, acoustic and chamber music. I felt they were kind of overwhelmed sometimes by orchestral music or rock with a lot of stuff going on at once. The 6.5s  now reside in my daughter's system - a Peachtree Nova and her iPhone. She's happy. The 4.5s are shelved for the moment.

I have used the Ascends in my home theater (170s L/R and 340 Center) for about 8 years, and they are very fine with music, as well. I used them in a 2 channel setup for a while and was happy. Personally, I think they would be a weak link in a Sensation based system, but speakers are about as personally-based a decision as you can find in this hobby. Again, a very good company to do business with.

I am using Usher be-718s in my current Sensation system. I have the Gary Dodd-tubed version. I won't be changing this system any time soon, as it offers me everything I want in a system at the price point I can afford.