Any benefit for NX Studios?

WarmColors

Any benefit for NX Studios?
« on: 8 Apr 2020, 04:53 pm »
I have a question I hope you can clarify. I've noticed some excellent stereo amplifiers have a single transformer and some have 2 separate transformers, one for each channel. (Stratos from Odyssey top of the line version). Is there true benefit to having two separate power transformers given excellent design elsewhere?
How is it beneficial? With two transformers I can only think about them running cooler which may extend the life of the amp.
What else am I missing?

Sonicjoy

Re: Any benefit for NX Studios?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Apr 2020, 01:09 pm »
HI Warmcolors.

I was going to suggest that you ask this over in the Odyssey circle but I see that you have.

WarmColors

« Reply #2 on: 9 Apr 2020, 07:31 pm »
HI Warmcolors.

I was going to suggest that you ask this over in the Odyssey circle but I see that you have.

I did not get much of an answer though unfortunately. Still can't understand benefits of having two transformers. I'm sure there must be some added benefit. I'm just asking for learning purposes that's all

nickd

« Reply #3 on: 10 Apr 2020, 03:43 am »
The quality and correct size are far more important. It’s more about design really. If one transformer is used multiple windings can provide several taps for multiple stages in the amp or preamp. Sound engineering and a designer with a good ear is a better way to pick gear.

Some big name brands are famous for self destructive flaws in the power supply. Worth doing a bit of research. Bias circuits, proper heat sinks and chassis ventilation, parts quality, will it drive a 2 ohm load? Many questions to ask if you plan on keeping it and enjoying it.

I have owned amps that took 2 people to lift. My current amp does not even have a transformer at all. Lots of good gear from brilliant designers to choose from.

uncola

« Reply #4 on: 10 Apr 2020, 06:23 am »
I'm no authority but I believe a 2nd transformer adds more current headroom for current hungry speakers like magnepans etc.  And I read due to the design of toroids, larger ones are more sensitive to things like dc noise on the power line etc so using two half size ones instead of a giant one can be helpful.. also two half size ones instead of a giant one is good because it will be less tall, so you don't have to use such a tall metal enclosure for the amp