Broke out the old X-Statik's once again...

Chops

Re: Broke out the old X-Statik's once again...
« Reply #40 on: 4 Apr 2020, 05:13 am »
Chops,

Nice turntable! What cart and phono amp are you running? I have a mmf-7 that I have modded and upgraded with the full Mapleshade treatment. (Mapleshade makes a whole line of TT upgrades) Upgrades include the new CC9 carbon fiber tonearm. I'm running a Ortofon 2m black cart and a Tavish Design "Vintage" model tube phono amp. It's a great sounding combo. I like it so much that I picked up a stock mmf-7.3 with 2m bronze for my dads system.

I bet your system sounds great and that looks like a decent room. And yes OB bass is heavenly!  :thumb: Those X-Statik's look like an incredible value.

Thanks! The TT is a mmf-7.3 with 2M Bronze, and I'm running it through a Schiit Mani phono pre. It's a nice little combo for sure.

I've been listening to the system just about all day today, and man, these X-Statik's sound mighty fine.

Chops

« Reply #41 on: 4 Apr 2020, 05:19 am »

Only because of the cat, right?

We don't have a cat but we had to do the samething to protect three sofas and two cars on account of a dog.

BTW, nice looking speakers. If I had any capentry skills I'd be tempted to build them among other kits by Danny. Flat packs certainly help with assembly, but finishing is another skill I am sorely lacking. So jealous.  :(

Somewhat because of the cats, but mostly because we keep it rather cool in the house and my other half gets cold easily, so she likes have plenty of "coverage" handy. LOL

These X-Statik's are the original AV123 ones, so they came already built. I sure as heck don't have tools or skills to do that nice of work. Haha

Chops

« Reply #42 on: 4 Apr 2020, 06:06 am »
Going back to your reply to me  earlier, remember, the price of the Super 7's also included the  subs/amps so you need to add that to cost of the NX-Otic/NX-Treme s for an equal comparison.
I too have made numerous posts  with regards to the  difference between  the  NX series themselves, as well as  vs the S7's.

No,  the  MTM's do not have a high pass  to the  NQ's built in, if you want to  roll  them off, you need to  build an inline  filterwith a small value cap , value dependent upon your  main amps  inputimpedence.

We are about the only ones who have ever done multiple  ( and when I say multiople I mean  for a few weeks) comparisons between the  NX-MTM's and NX-Oticas (both combined with dual h-frames).  The last  time I  reported on  this topic was  near  the end of this thread:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=158550.0

I'll say it again, if you have the  room, go for the  full Otica's with either  duals, triple, or quads...   if not,  the  NX-MTm's   are a  very, very good  alternative.

We cold never  detect any trade off going from the  sub?MTm comvo to the  full  Otica / sub combo,  only improvements.   Yes,  in the   full  Otica,  the NQ's are high passed with a  large bundle of caps but, it is very transparent, not  noticable.   However,  the full Otica's   have the additional   woofers covering  from 200hz  and down and  that  does make  a  very noticable difference.

Worth mentioning,  we ID NOT  use  an inline cap   on the inputs of the main amp withthe MTM's,  doing so wouild definately  take  some of the   workload off  the  2  NQ's
jay

Then when the time comes, I'll be going with the NX-Otica's as they are roughly the same size as the X-Statik's. Secondly, I wouldn't run a cap before my amps because they are also responsible for sending the subs their signal via their high level inputs. I find that the subs sound a whole heck of a lot better this way rather than via interconnects.

I'll get a pair of Rhythmic F12G's to go along with the NX-Otica's. From what I have read in other threads, given the small size of my room, I should be able to get decent amounts of bass from the NX-Otica's down around the 40-50 Hz range, so I would be getting a fair amount of that OB bass quality, leaving the F12G's from about 60 Hz on down, pretty much where I have my current subs.

There's no telling which will come first though, the Otica's or the subs.

Chops

« Reply #43 on: 4 Apr 2020, 06:07 am »
The first thing I would recommend is selling those subs and then buying/building either a pair of Sealed Servo Subs or stepping up to a pair of dual OB subs. 

Either way you will get much better bass than regular subs.

That's what I plan on doing. Well, not selling these Polk subs. I wouldn't get anything for them, plus they can be integrated into the bedroom system.  8)

Chops

« Reply #44 on: 6 Apr 2020, 02:53 pm »
After further consideration, and speaking to Danny about it for a little bit via email. When the time comes, I will be going with the big boys... The NX-Treme's.

According to Danny, as long as the X-Statik's work well in my room (which they do extremely well), that both the NX-Otica's and NX-Treme's will also work well. And in fact, because of the natural design of the NX-Treme's, they should "load" the room more evenly.

Sounds good to me!  :thumb:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #45 on: 6 Apr 2020, 04:28 pm »
After further consideration, and speaking to Danny about it for a little bit via email. When the time comes, I will be going with the big boys... The NX-Treme's.

According to Danny, as long as the X-Statik's work well in my room (which they do extremely well), that both the NX-Otica's and NX-Treme's will also work well. And in fact, because of the natural design of the NX-Treme's, they should "load" the room more evenly.

Boy are you going to be spoiled!!!  :thumb:

Captainhemo

« Reply #46 on: 6 Apr 2020, 05:44 pm »

Do the speakers before the subs, you're going to be surprised at the bass from them.  They won't  fill in that   bottom octave but man,  down to that point you'll  be impressed.

jay

Chops

« Reply #47 on: 6 Apr 2020, 09:55 pm »
Boy are you going to be spoiled!!!  :thumb:

As if I'm not already spoiled by the X-Statik's.  :green:

Chops

« Reply #48 on: 6 Apr 2020, 09:58 pm »
Do the speakers before the subs, you're going to be surprised at the bass from them.  They won't  fill in that   bottom octave but man,  down to that point you'll  be impressed.

jay

I probably will. I know Ron (New Record Day) mentioned that the NX-Otica's in his old room had bass down into the mid 30's or 40's, even though they are rated somewhere around 60 to 70 Hz. So definitely room dependent, which is typical of any speaker really.

With double the bass drivers and spanning 7' vertically, I wonder what kind of bass extension I'll get in my smaller room. The most important thing is however, I will be getting that OB bass quality from them, even though I will be going with sealed subs eventually to fill in that bottom octave.

Captainhemo

« Reply #49 on: 7 Apr 2020, 06:11 pm »
We've been listening to the NX-Otica's,  NX-Treme's, NX-MTM's since  we cut the first pairs way back in  late 2015/early 2016.. Have heard them  in a few different rooms ranging in size   from  18x12  to   40 x 18,   with subs / without subs

If youi  are   in a room  anywhere near the  18x12   range,  you  are going to be in that   flat to 40 area and with   8 of the M165-16's,  you'd have no issue adding a little dsp boost and getting them flat   30.  We've done it with the  NX-Otica's and the M165x  8's  and it worked    well,   there is a thread    I started  on  that where  other's jumped in  with similar  results ( including Ron I believe)

I had the OB7's prior to   Otic's  which   4 of the M130X drivers in a  sealed  cabinet and I was  pretty  shocked at the   speed and impact of the  4 M165X woofers  we used in the  NX-Otica's....  I  will never go back to sealed bass unless at some point  I had the space  to try a swarm setup and compare...  not likely anytime soon.

Not a  huge difference in floor space   from a pair of   sealed servo subs  to a pair of  dual h-frames.... just  something  to think about

jay

Chops

« Reply #50 on: 7 Apr 2020, 09:20 pm »
We've been listening to the NX-Otica's,  NX-Treme's, NX-MTM's since  we cut the first pairs way back in  late 2015/early 2016.. Have heard them  in a few different rooms ranging in size   from  18x12  to   40 x 18,   with subs / without subs

If youi  are   in a room  anywhere near the  18x12   range,  you  are going to be in that   flat to 40 area and with   8 of the M165-16's,  you'd have no issue adding a little dsp boost and getting them flat   30.  We've done it with the  NX-Otica's and the M165x  8's  and it worked    well,   there is a thread    I started  on  that where  other's jumped in  with similar  results ( including Ron I believe)

I had the OB7's prior to   Otic's  which   4 of the M130X drivers in a  sealed  cabinet and I was  pretty  shocked at the   speed and impact of the  4 M165X woofers  we used in the  NX-Otica's....  I  will never go back to sealed bass unless at some point  I had the space  to try a swarm setup and compare...  not likely anytime soon.

Not a  huge difference in floor space   from a pair of   sealed servo subs  to a pair of  dual h-frames.... just  something  to think about

jay

Hello Jay,

That's good to know that the NX-Treme's are capable of getting down to around 40 Hz in a smaller room. My room is roughly 11.5' x 15.5' with a 8.5' ceiling height. I won't be bothering with DSP however as I'll be using subs regardless, and I'm one in believing less processing the better.

And again, due to funds and the current state of affairs going on in the world, it will be a while before I do any of this. Plus I have to sell off my recently purchased Klipsch Heresy III's and the JL e110 subs that I have sitting in the closet before I can do any of this. Not to mention I kind of doubt anyone will be wanting to buy such things at this time.

Chops

« Reply #51 on: 7 Apr 2020, 09:24 pm »

jay

Forgot to touch on this. It's not as much of a concern of floor space as it is where they would have to be placed and the overall visual business of the front of the room. It would be too cramped and congested. This is already a small room.

Captainhemo

« Reply #52 on: 8 Apr 2020, 04:46 pm »
Man, this goes way back....I know about  crammed.....  but worked   really  well

The GR folder in my gallery  has   quite a few different   configs in that room which is similar in wifth to yours

jay

Sonicjoy

« Reply #53 on: 9 Apr 2020, 01:21 pm »
Hey chops have you been following my thread on "solving the floor space" idea? https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=169217.0

I think it's a great idea. Still waiting to hear from Danny if the idea has merit of not. Could work in your room very nicely.

Chops

« Reply #54 on: 9 Apr 2020, 07:54 pm »
Man, this goes way back....I know about  crammed.....  but worked   really  well

The GR folder in my gallery  has   quite a few different   configs in that room which is similar in wifth to yours

jay

Oh I'm sure it worked just fine, but I have to be considerate to the fact that this is the main room of the house, the room that you first walk into, and I just don't want all of that clutter in the room. Been there and done that before. I just want it to be clean and simple... And open. This is why I'm 99.9% certain I'll be going with a pair of servo sealed subs instead.

Chops

« Reply #55 on: 9 Apr 2020, 08:03 pm »
Hey chops have you been following my thread on "solving the floor space" idea? https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=169217.0

I think it's a great idea. Still waiting to hear from Danny if the idea has merit of not. Could work in your room very nicely.

Not following, but I did see it. The few things I see wrong with those options mentioned in your thread are...

1) The lower midrange will be close to the top panel of the OB sub, "boxing" in that midrange a bit in the rear causing undesirable reflections and cavity resonances for that midrange driver.

2) If mounting the 12" drivers on the side panels, those panels will most likely be too small, thus having to add more EQ and power, and more vibration in the loudspeaker as a whole. You would need a ton more bracing on those panels which would also most likely add more cavity resonances.

3) Placing the woofers on the side panels like that, you are effectively putting yourself right smack in the side null of those woofers, which means you would be getting very weak to no bass at all in your listening position.

Chops

« Reply #56 on: 10 Apr 2020, 11:27 pm »
I have dialed in the X-Statik's and they are now in their final resting place, so went ahead and installed the spikes. I'm just so impressed with these speakers. They do some many things right and simply shock me with recordings that I'm very familiar with every time I sit down to listen. I can't even begin to imagine what the NX-Otica's and NX-Treme's are capable of.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #57 on: 11 Apr 2020, 04:23 pm »
I have dialed in the X-Statik's and they are now in their final resting place, so went ahead and installed the spikes. I'm just so impressed with these speakers. They do some many things right and simply shock me with recordings that I'm very familiar with every time I sit down to listen. I can't even begin to imagine what the NX-Otica's and NX-Treme's are capable of.

Quite a bit more, but then they are way more expensive too. The X-Statiks are the $$/performance king.

Chops

« Reply #58 on: 11 Apr 2020, 05:26 pm »
Quite a bit more, but then they are way more expensive too. The X-Statiks are the $$/performance king.

IIRC, the X-Statik's were $799 + $300 freight, so $1100 total. I remember them showing up at my work (shortly after I started there in fact). They came on a pallet. I remember the other employees there thought I was weird or something for having stereo equipment show up at work... On a pallet in a full-size semi with a 50' trailer. They thought they were getting a second shipment from the warehouse! LOL

My real point here of course is that the X-Statik's, completely built and shipped were only $1100. The NX-Otica is double that in kit version, the NX-Treme triple that in kit version.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #59 on: 11 Apr 2020, 05:39 pm »
I still recommend the isoacoustics under the Statiks.  Your jaw will drop.