“Tuning” fuses for Magnepans?

Merckx1

“Tuning” fuses for Magnepans?
« on: 27 Jul 2020, 03:29 am »
Anyone have any advice? I’ve played with replacing the stock fuses with copper ground wire and the treble sizzles Just a bit too much. At least I discovered that fuses do have an effect in the sound! Any fuse upgrade options like a hifi or iso fuse that are recommended?
Thanks!

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Re: “Tuning” fuses for Magnepans?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2020, 12:34 pm »
I completely bypassed the fuses on my MMG's.  Yes, it did ramp up the treble, but I felt they were
previously a little dull in my well damped room, so for myself it was a good thing. 

Merckx1

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jul 2020, 01:49 am »
Yeah, silly me. I just hot rodded them and it sounds fine. Copper ground wire replaced the fuse and a speaker cable Jumper where I had the stock 1-ohm resistor. Sounds good so far!
FYI, I had never done this In the past 12 years due to running inferior amps I guess. After 2months Run in my Odyssey Khartago is ready to shine and shine she does! Running a Schiit Saga with upgraded tube as preamp.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #3 on: 31 Jul 2020, 02:55 am »
Fo the midrange on my previous Magnepan 3.6  I removed the midrange fuse after owning them for two years. I got some HiFi Tuning fuses on sale back in ? 2012 or so
When I bought my 20.7s I waited a year and then took out the midrange fuse on that speaker too.
I didn't bypass the tweeter fuse. I used the old 3.6 HiFi Tuning fuses.
I would never spend hundreds of dollars for a $*#@ fuse.  I did spend many hundreds if dollars trying out high end resistors though.
The experiment with a piece of wire is good. experimenting is good.
Remember the wiring and several cheap connectors behind the fuse panel are still in the circuit if all you do is putz with the fuse.

If a maggie treble sound like crap it is not the Maggies it is your electronics LOL
« Last Edit: 31 Jul 2020, 06:50 pm by Elizabeth »

mijostyn

« Reply #4 on: 31 Jul 2020, 12:46 pm »
Elizabeth is certainly right if it is a Maggie with ribbon tweeters. I always bypass the fuses and hard wire everything. If the treble is too bright you can increase the sound absorption behind the speaker or wire in a 10 watt or higher resistor where the fuse is. Warning. Maggie ribbon tweeters are easy to damage. If you play mostly rock you can count on blowing an occasional tweeter. Magnepan has a great tweeter exchange program. They send you a new tweeter in a transport tube and you send them the blown one back. When they get it they deduct a core charge so a new tweeter really does not cost that much. The last time I got one it was $60.00 but that was quite some time ago. The other drivers are bullet proof.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #5 on: 1 Aug 2020, 04:55 pm »
Regarding the HiFi Tuning fuses, they really aren't 'fuses'. At least, they aren't at all protective in most contexts in which they are used. Fuses have many parameters of operation, not just clearing amperage. Since ribbons protect the fuses at least as often as the other way around, I think the best fuse is no fuse at all. Pull the connector panels and eliminate the extraneous hardware by connecting the wires leading into the resistor & fuse directly to the wire on the other side of that hardware - for the tweeter and midrange. I've yet to damage a ribbon.