ac-4 line conditioner

rjclaster

ac-4 line conditioner
« on: 13 Feb 2019, 07:38 pm »
Rusty,
I am getting the ac-4.  Would you say that I could get further improvements from high end power cords?

rustydoglim

Re: ac-4 line conditioner
« Reply #1 on: 13 Feb 2019, 08:20 pm »
I tihnk that will be very marginal.

rjclaster

« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2019, 04:18 pm »
what is its peak amperage on transients?

rustydoglim

« Reply #3 on: 18 Feb 2019, 01:38 pm »
It is designed for high current, the circuit break trips at 15A, so the circuit can handle way more than that.
Output 10A x 2, 3A x 2
https://nuprimeaudio.com/product/pure-ac4

Pure AC-4 has high order AC filter that really works.  And notice that it has 2 sets of filters, for low and high power devices.

Compare with a typical power conditional (this one retails for 990 Euro) that uses just one set of lower order filter.

rustydoglim

« Reply #4 on: 22 Feb 2019, 09:51 pm »
Pure AC-4 does the real clean up.  Other entry-level power conditioners are just glorified power strip.  You don't know what you are missing until you have AC-4 in your system.

rjclaster

« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2019, 09:22 am »
Does the ac-4 significantly improve dynamics?

Bonzite51

« Reply #6 on: 23 Feb 2019, 01:20 pm »
It is designed for high current, the circuit break trips at 15A, so the circuit can handle way more than that.
Output 10A x 2, 3A x 2

Pure AC-4 has high order AC filter that really works.  And notice that it has 2 sets of filters, for low and high power devices.

Compare with a typical power conditional (this one retails for 990 Euro) that uses just one set of lower order filter.

Hi,
have/plan you version with 220V euro sockets?

Thanks,
Janis

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #7 on: 23 Feb 2019, 04:18 pm »
Output 10A x 2, 3A x 2

That is the Gigawatt power strip correct ? That is one of their entry level conditioners. Gigawatt products are very much reviewed in Europe and quite affective at what they do. The most used conditioner at CAF this year. Quite a product.

charles

Bonzite51

« Reply #8 on: 24 Feb 2019, 08:53 am »
what about european 220V version?

rustydoglim

« Reply #9 on: 27 Feb 2019, 09:29 am »
Pure AC-4 can be used worldwide (there is an AC switch for 110 or 220).
Don't confuse this with the AC socket.  You can use the US socket version in Europe or vice versa.

Tom Davis

« Reply #10 on: 28 Feb 2019, 08:50 pm »
The AC-4 arrived yesterday and it's now the AC-"source" for the whole system: CD transport from Bel Canto inputting to Holo Spring DAC to Pass Labs HPA-1 preamp to Pass Labs XA-25 amp to Selah Estremo speakers (wired (except for the speaker cables) with Zu Audio Event cables).

It takes about a week for the Pass Labs gear to "recover" from being powered down, so I'll have comments on NuPrime's latest then.

rjclaster

« Reply #11 on: 8 Mar 2019, 08:22 am »
I have had the ac-4 for 4 days and I have noticed a slight decrease in grain, especially on massed strings.  I cannot say how it affects the bass because my subwoofer is not connected to the ac-4 but dynamics have not been compromised.

Bonzite51

« Reply #12 on: 8 Mar 2019, 01:36 pm »
Pure AC-4 can be used worldwide (there is an AC switch for 110 or 220).
Don't confuse this with the AC socket.  You can use the US socket version in Europe or vice versa.
You mean to change all plugs or kind of adapters in Europe case!!!

Tom Davis

« Reply #13 on: 8 Mar 2019, 04:40 pm »
I've had the AC-4 in my system (see previous post above) for just over a week now. Here's what's going on:

1. Right away I noticed a drop in the noise-floor: honest-to-god-dead-silence between tracks. This initial impression has been confirmed over this week by my being able to play, well, everything, louder with no down-side.

2. On disks (yes, I'm a CD-only guy) with "hot" recordings, there's a greater sense of "ease" with, say, sibilants, and instruments are "more themselves" in their tonal signature.

3. Soundstage is improved in the placement of instruments and vocals: more dimensionally right, more solid, and then also a little more forward. I'm not sure what's going on with this "more forward" so I'll pay attention to this over the next couple of weeks.

4. I agree with the comment on dynamics not being affected. This was my single greatest concern but Dusty seems to be quite right about the 10A socket: I prefer the Pass XA-25 with the AC-4 than "straight in."

Finally, I worked with John Casler to get the AC-4, and will be getting future NuPrime products with his help.

Tom Davis

« Reply #14 on: 8 Mar 2019, 05:06 pm »
Hmm, I meant "Rusty," not "Dusty."

And speaking of Rusty: I too am interested in whether it's advisable to plug more than one component with a "strip" into a single 3A socket. Right now I'm planning on adding a second AC-4 when NuPrime comes out with an all-3A version.

rustydoglim

« Reply #15 on: 9 Mar 2019, 06:30 am »
AC-4 will be more prominent on high end systems.  When Nuprime develops something, we base it on science.  The effect on IDA-8 for example will not be that noticeable, but if you also connect other noisy devices (various AC adapters, TV) in your living room to the same power strip/wall circuit as IDA-8, then AC-4 could help.

Power = AC voltage x Current
For example, if you have a 20W low power device, then Current = 20W / 110V   (or 220V depending on where you live)
So 3A is more than sufficient.  Most manufacturers don't spec the power consumption for components because it is not a fix value, but you can guess from the fuse.  If the fuse is 1A, the normal power usage is much less.

sresener

« Reply #16 on: 21 Apr 2019, 03:59 pm »
Im currently using a panamax m5400. How would the ac-4 compare or be different to what I am using?

sresener

« Reply #17 on: 21 Apr 2019, 09:37 pm »

I attached a picture that I found on the web.
 Now im not saying mine is better or worse anything, I just already own one and would like to know if it would work as well "or not" with my new evo dac and the new evo amps im getting.

And this message is not "just for Jason" its for anyone in the circle that may be able to help.

But if nuprime happened to extend a deal I can not turn down. Well I may be temped to purchase them anyways just because they look better and would match the 3 evolutions and k38 better. (hint hint wink wink)

rustydoglim

« Reply #18 on: 22 Apr 2019, 01:35 pm »
I will ask our chief engineer to take a look.  It is quite aparent to me that the filter is of "lower order" design.  Are you located in the USA? I suggest that you discuss with your dealer (call John Casler, his contact on our website) about auditioning and comparing with your existing power conditioner, with the intend to buy if it improves the sound. Ask your dealer to contact us to discuss discount.

sresener

« Reply #19 on: 4 May 2019, 09:27 pm »
Would one of these handle two evo amps and one evo dac, I would then use the other for my av preamp, a mch-k38 and my uhd player?