I added a 4B3 to my system - Oh My!!!!

Barry.B

I added a 4B3 to my system - Oh My!!!!
« on: 4 Dec 2022, 04:45 pm »
Hi,

I  took the plunge and swapped my 4BSST feeding the bass drivers on my PMC FB1i's with a 4B3. As some may know from previous occasional posts, I have a Meridian G08.2 CD player, BP25DA pre, 3B3 feeding mids and tweeters plus now the 4B3. Chord MojoPoly handles streaming from Qobuz.

As soon as I powered up the 4B3 and started playing my usual suspects I noticed the difference and all I can say is Oh My!!
It sounds so good!!
I now have to work my way through my CD collection again which is over two thousand in number, at nearly 66yrs old I could be running out of time 🤔

I consider myself to be amongst a privileged few with my current HiFi system, it may not to be to everyone's taste, but every time I add a new component it sounds better and better. I chose Bryston and PMC by reputation and reviews and have never looked back. My original G08 was chosen after several visits to HiFi stores, upgraded to the G08.2 because of the slot drive and improved circuitry and yes it sounds better than the G08.

I also have to thank my understanding wife who has supported my HiFi purchases over the years.

My next quandary is whether to swap out the BP25 for a BP173, but dearest says I have to sell my growing collection of unused HiFi components before buying anything else.

Mariusz Uszynski

Re: I added a 4B3 to my system - Oh My!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 4 Dec 2022, 07:36 pm »
Congratulations on purchasing Bryston 4B³, it's great amp.I'm new to Bryston gear and never heard or seen BP25, but BP-17³ is really good preamp, I'm very happy with it.Perhaps, Mrs.B is right about selling unused gear.If it's not being used and is collecting dust, you may as well sell it, then get BP-17³.Barry, BCD-3 is very good cd player, bit pricey too, but worth every penny.Also, nice cd collection, I have only 800 and I love it.I don't see myself going for streamer, at least not in this lifetime.

alanford69

« Reply #2 on: 4 Dec 2022, 08:07 pm »
Congratulations for your new 4B3! I own one since 2016 and never felt the need to try something else!

gbaby

« Reply #3 on: 4 Dec 2022, 10:15 pm »
Hi,

I  took the plunge and swapped my 4BSST feeding the bass drivers on my PMC FB1i's with a 4B3. As some may know from previous occasional posts, I have a Meridian G08.2 CD player, BP25DA pre, 3B3 feeding mids and tweeters plus now the 4B3. Chord MojoPoly handles streaming from Qobuz.

As soon as I powered up the 4B3 and started playing my usual suspects I noticed the difference and all I can say is Oh My!!
It sounds so good!!
I now have to work my way through my CD collection again which is over two thousand in number, at nearly 66yrs old I could be running out of time 🤔

I consider myself to be amongst a privileged few with my current HiFi system, it may not to be to everyone's taste, but every time I add a new component it sounds better and better. I chose Bryston and PMC by reputation and reviews and have never looked back. My original G08 was chosen after several visits to HiFi stores, upgraded to the G08.2 because of the slot drive and improved circuitry and yes it sounds better than the G08.

I also have to thank my understanding wife who has supported my HiFi purchases over the years.

My next quandary is whether to swap out the BP25 for a BP173, but dearest says I have to sell my growing collection of unused HiFi components before buying anything else.

At 68, I am feeling you. I am glad I invested in a good aiudio system to enjoy at this stage in life. Recently, I was thinking that I have so much music, I may not be able to enjoy it all in my lifetime. So, all I and do is enjoy the moment and hope I reach 100. :D

Markwatkiss

« Reply #4 on: 5 Dec 2022, 12:03 pm »
I’ve owned several iterations of Bryston amps including the 4B3.Always paired with a tube pre amp.Fleshes out the linearity of the Bryston and presents a richer musical experience.You won’t be disappointed.

masi61

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jan 2023, 04:06 pm »
I enjoyed reading your original post about getting the 4B3. I also just upgraded from the 4B2 to the 4B3. I thought about opening up a new thread where I review the 4B3 and compare it to the 4B2.

How are you and the 4B3 getting along? Can you make some follow up remarks to add to your initial impressions?

Barry.B

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jan 2023, 01:07 am »
Thank you for replying to my post guys, hope you all had a Happy Holiday Season and wishing you and your families a Prosperous New Year.

I was very interested to read all your comments.

I have now had time to really listen to to my system as the 4B3 settles in.
My wife also has had chance to listen as she was in hospital recovering from a broken right femur when she agreed to my little addition to my HiFi system. I suspect not many wives would have given the go ahead in a similar position.
My wife immediately stated that the sound was  " clearer and warmer " all the lyrics in songs were easier to understand where previously she had some difficulties with some artists.

I demonstrated the system to my eldest son and his girlfriend who also noticed the improvement and were very impressed.

I have played classical, heavy rock, blues, electronica, in fact anything from Black Sabbath to classical organ music and all sound amazing. You can pinpoint vocals and individual instruments with ease, pauses in the music are just that, nothing!! silence!! Drum solos are almost like you are playing the drums yourself, you can feel kick drums in your stomach.
It's like having a front seat with the musicians playing in front of you, shut your eyes and you are there.
The cannons on the 1812 Overture were equally impressive!!

Our lounge is fairly long and the speakers are placed at either end of our three seater sofa firing across the room, this gives a wide sound stage with music extending beyond the speakers. The volume is normally set around 9 o'clock but often creeps towards 10 o'clock and beyond during late night listening sessions. You hear music, not the system and at times it's an emotional roller coaster.

I am very happy with how my HiFi journey has turned out, each upgrade or addition has made a significant improvement in my enjoyment of music. If music was taken away from me I don't know what I would do.

Best regards,

Barry

Jozsef

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jan 2023, 05:51 am »
At the last audio show I went to, the only sound that was any good was in the PMC room so I can understand why Bryston has had a good relationship with them. My experience of the BP17 cubed has been a thrill from the first time I turned it on. I have Bryston speakers and a 2.5B cubed and the extremely low distortion and overall accuracy of these lets the details of recordings shine through with a clarity and realism I honestly didn't think possible. The BP25 I once had was an excellent unit but Bryston has never been content to stand still so the improvements in newer designs are very real. (I hope I don't sound like a salesman here. I really don't work for them but having just upgraded my BDP-2 with their own in house sound card, I'm quite overwhelmed by how good it all is. Sleep has fallen by the wayside.) :wink:

Barry.B

« Reply #8 on: 13 Jan 2023, 10:36 pm »
OK guys,
What will sound best in my system, upgrade my BP25DA to a BP26 with MPS2 power supply or go for a BP173??
I don't want my system "warmed", I just want it as recorded!!
My system sounds pretty good so far but any improvement is always a bonus 👍
Or should I stick with what I have already??

Regards as always,

Barry

whydontumarryit

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 14 Jan 2023, 06:07 am »
OK guys,
What will sound best in my system, upgrade my BP25DA to a BP26 with MPS2 power supply or go for a BP173??
I don't want my system "warmed", I just want it as recorded!!
My system sounds pretty good so far but any improvement is always a bonus 👍
Or should I stick with what I have already??

Regards as always,

Barry

The bp25da and bp17 (with a dac option) are two completely different animals. An upgrade to a bp26/mps2 is a definite no go.

It sounds pretty good, is as close as you can get to perfection for someone with your aptitude for accuracy in evaluating the reproduction of a musical event. Have the wax evacuated from your ears, re-evaluate the bp25da, and tell us what exactly it is that would be a bonus when the system is improved?

If you are serious about improvements tell us what speakers you have so that the hundreds of members here can give you hundreds of recommendations for the change.

I have Middle-T's and they sound like whatever I'm playing.