Don't forget about your rear!!

RonP

Don't forget about your rear!!
« on: 31 Aug 2021, 01:59 pm »
Yesterday I finally managed to get some panels behind my listening postion. (see photo) Behind the main seat it's mainly open behind but on the one side there's a stairwell reflecting sound back towards you.

These are the 6" Alpha series with 2D diffusion. What a difference! I was skeptical it would work so well. I knew it would help but was expecting a more subtle change.

I've observed:
-The system is less ’shouty’
-It’s a lot like a bit of pressure has been relieved in the room. I can let volume knob stroll a little higher and the gear seems to perform better when it can stretch it’s legs a bit more
-Center has moved to center - before it was a bit to the left
-Soundstage deepened and moved back just a smidge

Morale of the story: don't forget about your rear!!!  :lol: :lol:

EDIT:

this view coming up the stairs is pretty cool!

« Last Edit: 31 Aug 2021, 03:00 pm by RonP »

Mike-48

Re: Don't forget about your rear!!
« Reply #1 on: 2 Sep 2021, 05:40 pm »
Looks great, and I'm not surprised it helps the sound. May I ask, how did you mount them to the wall?

RonP

« Reply #2 on: 4 Sep 2021, 12:51 pm »
Sure!

1st attempt was a failure. I used the included saw tooth hanger thingy in the center connecting to a 30lb capable Ook. The ook's wall mount piece worked well but it's hook bent down and led to the panel sliding off

ook:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003WE9XNQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I touched based with Mike @ GIK and he recommended using these D-rings (2 per panel) in place of the included hardware. Seat the D-ring down into the brass hook of the Ooks he said.

d-ring:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017DQ9GC6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However when my guy showed up with his bendy ladder to hang them he ended up using sheet rock screws with the D-rings.

Mike-48

« Reply #3 on: 4 Sep 2021, 04:08 pm »
1st attempt was a failure. I used the included saw tooth hanger thingy [...]
I touched based with Mike @ GIK and he recommended using these D-rings (2 per panel) [...]
when my guy showed up with his bendy ladder to hang them he ended up using sheet rock screws with the D-rings.
When I get anything from GIK, I throw the sawtooth hangers into the trash. They really are not up to the job.

I've been using D-rings and picture wire to hang panels. The drawback is that they tend to tilt out from the wall a little, which would not work for the tightly aligned arrangement you have.

You should keep that guy and his ladder happy. He did a really nice job of lining everything up!

Mikerodrig27

« Reply #4 on: 28 Sep 2021, 01:59 am »
I have been puting GIK panels in the rear of my listening area. Measurements and listening impressions show an improvement.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #5 on: 28 Sep 2021, 03:59 am »
Thank you for posting this. I’m reminded that my listening room needs acoustic panels. Remarkably, my wife actually suggested I get some panels recently. I nearly fainted from surprise.

JackD

« Reply #6 on: 28 Sep 2021, 04:10 am »
Put her on the GIK site and let her pick out the wood panel designs and finish or fabric color, always helps.  Or maybe some of the Art panels with pictures from home. 

Mike-48

« Reply #7 on: 28 Sep 2021, 04:41 am »
Put her on the GIK site and let her pick out the wood panel designs and finish or fabric color, always helps.  Or maybe some of the Art panels with pictures from home.
And if you're getting fabric-covered items (pretty much anything except Alpha panels), she can go to the Guilford of Maine site and leaf through hundreds or thousands of acoustic fabrics, some of the really beautiful, and definitely something for every decor. It is not expensive to use a custom fabric and can do a lot to tie the room together.

Vince in TX

« Reply #8 on: 28 Sep 2021, 01:34 pm »
And if you're getting fabric-covered items (pretty much anything except Alpha panels), she can go to the Guilford of Maine site and leaf through hundreds or thousands of acoustic fabrics, some of the really beautiful, and definitely something for every decor. It is not expensive to use a custom fabric and can do a lot to tie the room together.

Exactly.   There is a lot you can do with acoustic fabric.    :thumb:

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #9 on: 28 Sep 2021, 05:15 pm »
Great suggestions, guys. I’ll get her to look at both GIK’s and Guilford of Maine’s websites, but I worry that she may take forever to decide. It only took her six(?) years to decide acoustic treatments are acceptable!

On another unrelated note - it took her 4+ years to warm to the idea of our buying an RV or trailer (which we have yet to decide on!).

Mike-48

« Reply #10 on: 28 Sep 2021, 05:26 pm »
Fabric depends on your decor and taste, of course. One of my favorite Guilford fabrics in the modern neutral category is 2317-041, Nitro (style)/Cream Soda (color). It's just one of many, of course.

artur9

« Reply #11 on: 28 Sep 2021, 09:40 pm »
Great suggestions, guys. I’ll get her to look at both GIK’s and Guilford of Maine’s websites, but I worry that she may take forever to decide.

Maybe just pick for her what your furnishings already have?