Saints 2019 / Pats 1976

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
Saints 2019 / Pats 1976
« on: 24 Jan 2019, 04:16 pm »
Hi,
    I am a Pats fan. I know the Pats are hated but I'm from Maine and have been thru their ups and mostly downs even  when the likes of Babe Parilli was tossing the pigskin for the Pats.
    Most fans around here are Saints fans after the Pats. Maybe Drew Brees being such a class act has a lot to do with it.
That call that didn't happen really sucked, Saints fans or not! I feel for you, it happened to the Pats in 1976.......
   The Pats were a fine oiled machine that year just like the Saints this year. The Pats had to get by the Raiders and then it was the championship. Ray (Sugar Bear) Hamilton got called for roughing the passer and was a mile away. That got everyone pissed. Then on a crucial down  a Grogan pass was going to hit Russ Francis right in the numbers but Phil Villipiano had him in a (bear hug) as the ball bounced off them both...no call...no Super Bowl. I think that instant replay over and over was a main reason for the challenge flag several years later.
    I think what happened this year to the Saints might haunt all teams next year......I think I might put a bet down on them.....Mark Korda

Goosepond

• Virna!
Re: Saints 2019 / Pats 1976
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jan 2019, 04:24 pm »
I haven't given up yet. I think there's a chance that they will replay the game sometime before next Sunday!  :green: :green: :green:

Go Saints!

Gene

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jan 2019, 04:59 pm »
Nobody has a problem with legit Patriots fans, and you obviously are.  Very classy post, if I ever had the misfortune of attending a Pats game I'd hope to be sitting next to you.   :lol:

twitch54

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jan 2019, 06:37 pm »
Mark, I think it's more jealousy than hate, same with the Yankees. You remember the 'Babe, as do I seeing that I'm old enough to remember the 'Foolish 8 club' and the start up of the AFL.

Can anyone tell me the only two teams of the original AFL that have never moved and or changed their name ?

avta

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jan 2019, 07:50 pm »
Buffalo & Dallas?

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
« Reply #5 on: 24 Jan 2019, 08:08 pm »
Thanks for the kind words you guys!....Without any Googling I would say Denver and Buffalo. The Jets might of been called the Titans in the start. I think the Dallas Texans became the KC Chiefs. The Pats were from Boston.......Mark

twitch54

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jan 2019, 09:35 pm »
Thanks for the kind words you guys!....Without any Googling I would say Denver and Buffalo. The Jets might of been called the Titans in the start. I think the Dallas Texans became the KC Chiefs. The Pats were from Boston.......Mark

You are correct Mark, but then I would expect nothing less from an old 'AFL' guy !

a lot of folks forgot that the Chargers started in LA !

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #7 on: 24 Jan 2019, 10:24 pm »
OK, as long as we're talking about what old guys remember, anyone else know that there was no SUPER BOWL ONE!!!

Gene

twitch54

« Reply #8 on: 25 Jan 2019, 02:29 pm »
OK, as long as we're talking about what old guys remember, anyone else know that there was no SUPER BOWL ONE!!!

Gene

nor was there a Super Bowl II, the Jets victory in '69 became the first to 'technically' use the name.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #9 on: 25 Jan 2019, 02:53 pm »

Gene

Yes I remember it well, my Dad hated the style of play in the old AFL, he said all they did was hand fight when they blocked, so the NFL victory had him acting very self satisfied.  Since without Googling seems to be a trend all I remember of the name was Something or Other Championship,  Bowl wasn't mentioned.

I wanted a Chargers uniform for Christmas, we lived in southern California, I got a Rams one.  😄

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #10 on: 25 Jan 2019, 03:38 pm »
Yeah, I wasn't sure about the 2nd game. I just remember with the first, it seemed it didn't matter who the Lombardi Packers were playing, it would be no contest and it wasn't. Also I think I remember that the first game wasn't a sellout. Different game back then for sure. And the AFL was a wide-open game compared to the established NFL.

Gene