TVC Updates

Gaara

TVC Updates
« on: 18 Jan 2008, 03:36 am »
OK does anyone know what the revisions are for the Promi TVCs?  I notice that the new ones seems to have black hole pad on the top and bottom, whats going on with that?  Is it steel covered in black hole pad or just the black hole pad?  Also what revisions have been made to the design in the last say, 6 months?

tanchiro58

Re: TVC Updates
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan 2008, 04:09 am »
OK does anyone know what the revisions are for the Promi TVCs?  I notice that the new ones seems to have black hole pad on the top and bottom, whats going on with that?  Is it steel covered in black hole pad or just the black hole pad?  Also what revisions have been made to the design in the last say, 6 months?

It is enough to pad the BHP on the transformers and it is not totally affected the sound. If you want to get the sound you want or fit your sonic tastes you need to modify (or replace) all the components in the signal path.

I got an old version and used Apollo preamp from an audiogoner. I replaced all the stock components with the best quality capacitors (BGs, Auricaps and Rubycons) and resistors (all AN tantalums and Rikens). My Apollo preamp sounds way better than the stock one. I should say it has a jaw-drop sound.  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Gaara

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2008, 09:24 pm »
Tan,

I noticed they started including BHP, but then I noticed that it looks like it comes standard.  For example if you look at the site here it looks like BHP on the top and bottom of the unit.  Is this correct or am I missing something?

Thanks.

James

tanchiro58

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2008, 11:16 pm »
James,

Yes it said black epoxy coating. I think it is a thin layer only. If Nicholas Chua uses BHP the price would increase more for sure.

Tan

PromitheusAudio

• Promitheusaudio
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2008, 10:29 am »
James
Tan is right its black powdered epoxy stainless steel. Same thickness of the former stainless steel
this just maintains the stainless steel better, aesthethics is better too i feel and i do believe it sound slightly better because the epoxy damps microvibration. Also this is a rough black powder epoxy so scratches are harder to see

avo7007

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jan 2008, 01:26 am »
Hi Nicolas,

Are there going to be major chassis revision for the reference TVC soon?

kabaraka

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jan 2008, 08:32 am »
Hi! Nicholas, I've just placed an order for the TVC REV4 via your website and sent you a few e-mails to confirm my order since I was a bit confused on your website, one page that I clicked to order says $660 and after the order is done I clicked another page to surf your web, I found that it's $640 with some more info and pics, ie., dual mono TVC Rev4. You might be busy or my mail didn't go through to your mailbox, so I decide to post here asking weather every present TVC REV version comes with mono configuration with the dual volume control knobs and the stainless steel top? Just to make sure I'll get the dual mono TVC Rev 4 with 3 knobs in front as in the picture at that page.

PromitheusAudio

• Promitheusaudio
« Reply #7 on: 24 Jan 2008, 02:19 pm »
Avo7007
Sorry did not see this, nope we already made the changes already and would not be upgrade anymore

Kabaraka
Yup, drop you a reply on your confusion. We finished making your unit today. So drop me the mail back i can send it over

Thanks
Nicholas

kabaraka

« Reply #8 on: 25 Jan 2008, 08:13 am »
Thanks a lot Nicholas, I've sent you the shipping charge already this morning. Hope to get it soon  :drool:

kabaraka

« Reply #9 on: 29 Jan 2008, 02:43 am »
Hi, Nicholas, I've received it yesterday and hooked it up as soon as I got home. WOWWWWWWWWW!!is the only word I can say after listening to it for only 15 seconds and after 2-3 songs I called my friend and my girlfriend bragging about how good it is. This is truely an excellent piece of equipment I've ever purchased. No wonder how the sound will be after it's broken in but I've no need to rush. It sounds SOOOO GOODDD out of the box. Thanks for making such excellent product.

PromitheusAudio

• Promitheusaudio
« Reply #10 on: 29 Jan 2008, 07:11 am »
I am glad you like it

We manage to increase our efficieny and manpower and manage to turn around your unit in 1-2 days

Check out our DAC that goes really well with our TVC together

tanchiro58

« Reply #11 on: 29 Jan 2008, 11:23 am »
Check out our DAC that goes really well with our TVC together

It is an excellent match for TVC or Apollo preamp. Promitheus DAC is one of the best NOS DAC I have ever own.  :thumb:

highdfever

« Reply #12 on: 29 Jan 2008, 11:58 am »
Hi Tan,

Seems your Apollo is using C-Core.  Is it much bigger that the normal Apollo?

Hi Nick,

As I mentioned before,  I heard distortion and noise (when the volume turn to the last 5 - 6 clicks of the right channel) and I need to change the left speaker pole (just reverse the + & - of the speaker pole) to get a normal sound.   If I send the unit back for inspection,  would you also provide an upgrade service as well,  say upgrade to C-Core transformer and other parts,  etc.

Tks
Andis

PromitheusAudio

• Promitheusaudio
« Reply #13 on: 12 Feb 2008, 08:32 am »
Andis
Miss out your posting

Sure no problems i can do the upgrade when you send it back to me for parts, or c-core transformer

Cheers
Nicholas

audiodoc

« Reply #14 on: 12 Feb 2008, 05:52 pm »
Nicholas ,is it possible to upgrade a tvc to c-core?Sounds good to me.

Mike

tanchiro58

« Reply #15 on: 12 Feb 2008, 06:36 pm »
Nicholas ,is it possible to upgrade a tvc to c-core?Sounds good to me.

Mike

Hi Nick,

I am thinking about purchasing your recent wounded double C-cores to replace my Apollo's TVC (not a tube buffer) trannies. How much would a pair cost? Thanks.

Tan

Say

« Reply #16 on: 25 Apr 2008, 05:28 pm »
Since the mega thread is MIA or whatever I figured to jump on in with a little update of my own. Been a while since I posted. Good to see all the diverse promi threads on this forum.

After listening with the dual mono ref TVC for some time I have noticed a slight preponderance of accentuation in the highest regions. This is not glaring with small ensembles but does become obvious with loud passages on poorly encoded cd's. To note, my system is pretty detailed to the point where you could hear a mouse fart in a studio recording. Got me to thinking about activating an order for the tubed buffer too.

After black hole padding the trannies months ago I still had some left. Recently I saw a pic in the Absolute Sound of the innards of a reference cd-7 player from Audio Research. Looked like it had blackhole padding on all of the capacitors in it. So I took out what I had left and did the same to my Marantz sa15-s1. Guess what? More bounce and less bite from the player. The TVC plays what it is given. Now I'm spending more time with the music and less time obsessing about possibilities.

To you C-Core owners out there. Give us an update on how that big mamma sounds! My compulsion can only be mangaed but not defeated. For now I am still a happy camper though.

tanchiro58

« Reply #17 on: 25 Apr 2008, 06:04 pm »
Say,

That is what I did to all capacitors and other components in all my audio components long times ago. I did get the sound in my system like you do now. Good to hear an excellent experiment from you.  :thumb:

To you C-Core owners out there. Give us an update on how that big mamma sounds! My compulsion can only be mangaed but not defeated. For now I am still a happy camper though.

I would choose the C-core in the tube buffer like in Promitheus Apollo preamp.

Tan