What speakers match well with Modwright amps?

John Boy

What speakers match well with Modwright amps?
« on: 22 Sep 2012, 02:50 am »
Curious if anyone has experimented with different speakers, please post your findings. I have a 100SE and would like to know if there any magical combinations out there.

John Boy

Re: What speakers match well with Modwright amps?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Sep 2012, 04:19 am »
When do messages get posted? seems to be a long delay.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #2 on: 26 Sep 2012, 04:29 am »
Daedalus speakers are a great match with ModWright amps. I have the Daedalus DA-1.1s with the all poly caps and the sound is magical. Dan's reference speakers are the Daedalus Ulysses. I also have heard the Daedalus Athena's with ModWright amps. they all sound terrific.

johzel

« Reply #3 on: 26 Sep 2012, 12:28 pm »
My Ushers sound great with the Modwright.  I've heard Aerial Acoustics speakers and Daedalus match well.  Two speakers I'm particularly interested in are the two Van L. Speakerworks speakers (from Chicago) - the Silhouette and Quartets. I believe it ended up being the Quartets that were paired with the KWI-200 at a recent event in LA. Was told it was a terrific match. Website: http://www.vanlspeakerworks.com/

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 26 Sep 2012, 01:10 pm »
I'm using Thiel 3.7s with my Modwright KWA-150SE

62Truck

« Reply #5 on: 28 Nov 2012, 05:32 pm »
Bump!  What is everyone using with their MW gear?  Or what have you heard with MW?

I'm sure MW amplification sounds great with a wide range of speakers because of their fine craftsmanship; but has anyone found that a certain flavor of speaker (i.e, efficient, neutral, "fast," etc) mates well and creates good synergy?

Basil65

« Reply #6 on: 3 Dec 2012, 01:53 am »
KWA100/LS100 combo with Thiel CS 2.4's. Amazing combo. Thinking of upgrading the KWA100 to "SE".

62Truck

« Reply #7 on: 5 Dec 2012, 04:17 am »
Sounds like Thiels mate well with MW!

Scottdazzle

« Reply #8 on: 5 Dec 2012, 11:18 pm »
Daedalus speakers are a great match with ModWright amps. I have the Daedalus DA-1.1s with the all poly caps and the sound is magical. Dan's reference speakers are the Daedalus Ulysses. I also have heard the Daedalus Athena's with ModWright amps. they all sound terrific.

+1 on Modwright and Daedalus together. That's why they show them together at the audio shows.

62Truck

« Reply #9 on: 6 Dec 2012, 11:38 pm »
Anybody paired MWI with Dynaudio?

maxboy00

« Reply #10 on: 7 Dec 2012, 12:13 am »
I have a MW KWI-200, they are driving a pair of Selah's Tempesta's and work quite well, before that the amp was driving a pair of PMC's FB1i's and again  the amp performed well. I think that the KWI-200 has plenty of power and finesse to drive almost any speaker, it is quite a nice IA.

62Truck

« Reply #11 on: 7 Dec 2012, 05:28 am »
Great to hear, Max!  Thanks for sharing.

modwright

« Reply #12 on: 11 Dec 2012, 03:08 pm »
I can add to the above list, based on my own experience:

Magnepan 3.5's
Audio Machina (www.audiomachina.com): CRM w/CRS; Maestro's.
Daedalus Audio (www.daedalusaudio.com): Ulysses, DaRMa's.
Van L Speakerworks (www.vanlspeakerworks.com): Quartets, Silhouettes (on the way - will share results!).

I know there are many others, but these are speakers that I personally have good experience with.

Thanks,

Dan

62Truck

« Reply #13 on: 11 Dec 2012, 08:04 pm »
Thanks for the input, Dan

fritzspeakers

• Industry Participant
  • FRITZSPEAKERS.COM
    • FRITZSPEAKERS.COM
« Reply #14 on: 17 Dec 2012, 08:46 am »
I've gotten great sound & reviews with my Carbon 7's, REV 5's & REV 7 models using ModWright tube modded 83 & 95 Oppo players with SWLP 9.0SE & LS 100 Pre-amps and the KWA 100, 100SE & 150 SE amps at several RMAF's, T.H.E. Shows in Vegas & Newport & The California Audio Show in San Francisco.  Do a search here on AC or Google for some of the show reports. 

JG2

« Reply #15 on: 30 Dec 2012, 10:25 pm »
I have a 36.5 pre and 150 amp paired with Penaudio Serenade speakers and I (and wife) LOVE this combo.

Haven't changed speakers in some years although Lou's Daedalus speakers sound mighty fine with all MW gear!

vooges

« Reply #16 on: 1 Jan 2013, 11:46 pm »
Anybody paired MWI with Dynaudio?

I do!. I have a LS36.5 and KWA150SE feeding Dynaudio Contour S 5.4. Prior to the KWA150SE, I had a Simaudio W5.3. The ModWright makes the Dynaudio much more pleasant at lower volumes than the Simaudio. Overall the KWA provides the power and current that the S 5.4 need to sound at their best.

62Truck

« Reply #17 on: 2 Jan 2013, 10:23 pm »
vooges, that is great to hear!  Thank you for the info.  This is certainly a pairing I would love to hear.

harley52

« Reply #18 on: 5 Apr 2013, 10:31 pm »
In an e-mail to me from Dan expressed he has the Van L Silhouettes in his home, if that helps any. Oops, sorry I didn't realize this thread was kinda old. But, maybe the info will help out someone anyway.