toshiba 3950

rosconey

toshiba 3950
« on: 27 Feb 2004, 09:19 pm »
this is fully burned in by now-i havent been able to turn it off.
in my limited search for a cheap cd player i found what i wanted and more.

another fan over at aa is doing some power supply upgrades and is going to do one for me.
some other favorable opinions from others also, and its supposed to be a solid transport for a  external dac.

solid and tight bass, nice top end- smooth mids-laser sharp on placement-
nice depth (didnt have alot for a week or so)-wide stage and the rythm and pace are killer.
gets out every detail without being a pain in the ass about it :rules:
after the 3rd or so disc it sounds so nice  -it must like to warm up :flame:

for 70 large its worth a look if you have a second system in need of a cdp-
want to try another transport with your dac for shits and giggles :singing:
or cheap like me and just enjoy it even though it didnt cost 3 weeks pay.

this might not be a world beater but it is a nice sounding unit- and doesnt annoy or get in the way

i would hope my system could show any glareing weakness in the player-it hasnt :wink:

vmps large powered by 2 odyssey monos
3.5 way mains designed by rick craig powered by extreme odyssey monos
yamaha rxv1 as a pre.

rosconey

toshiba 3950
« Reply #1 on: 27 Feb 2004, 10:07 pm »
can i pat myself on the back without looking like a total ass-but this makes me feel good-

jimmyjames  at a a  today

Been listening to the 3950 all day and I am totally impressed and blown away by what kind of sound you get for $70. No one will believe me or you until they hear one of these little silver boxes. Looks like I got one that works. Have read lots of DOA storys. Also, Amazon is selling these for $69 with a $20 rebate. May have to order another one for a spare or a gift. Thanks for the referal. This is truely a giant killer. Sounds better on redbook than my Marantz 8400 ($1500

havent heard about any bad ones -mine is rock solid

also
http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/bottlehead/messages/76981.html

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/digital/messages/80900.html

rosconey

toshiba 3950
« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2004, 11:26 am »

Woodsea

toshiba 3950
« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2004, 12:53 pm »
Seems as if the sd-4900 is the same, but has dvd-a as well.  This is $86...hmmmm!?

Mad DOg

toshiba 3950
« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2004, 03:19 pm »
rosconey,

thanks for sharing this info...i've had a sd-9100 before and found that the audio quality was pretty good, too...it appears that Toshiba makes some pretty good sounding dvd players across the board then...

rosconey

toshiba 3950
« Reply #5 on: 28 Feb 2004, 10:46 pm »
a guy at the asylum says best buy has these on the cheap tomorrow-as if 79$ is large george :lol: but the money saved can buy a few cd's :singing:  :singing:

woodsea-
i saw the dvda one , i'm not interested at mc formats right now-if it sounds like the 3950 it is also a steal .

i was saving for a music hall maverick with the intention of going ram one day,i was a little short of affording one(standard mav) from response a few weeks ago and got this instead as a temp fix till finances got better-i am in no hurry to buy any other cdp-i will have a guy i met at aa do a little work on one for me though-no its not the worlds best but it does make me happy- a third eye in my mind see's the music-its hard to explain.
to put it short  i'm always tapping my feet , fingers or bolth.
what more could i ask for :mrgreen: