Suggestions for room treatment

rlal

Re: Suggestions for room treatment
« Reply #20 on: 19 Sep 2018, 02:04 pm »
Thanks Hipper for your suggestions, really appreciate.
I will try the steps you mentioned to find the effects of ceiling reflection and look for the best way to put
an acoustic panel if needed at ceiling.

I will plan to get monster bass trap and few impression or 644 panels.
Looks like impression series is more effective at low frequency absorption.
I will try to  add scatter plate to two panels so that room wont become too dead and experiment with position
and see the best position to use scatter plate acoustic panel is at FR points or on the rear wall.

Thanks

Hipper

« Reply #21 on: 20 Sep 2018, 05:00 pm »
Because I bought my GIK stuff some years ago I'm not familiar with the later products. However, I did get scatter plates on some of my panels and they act like diffusers and have the same issues, namely that if you are not far enough away from them you can hear them.

You should ask GIK what the minimum distance from scatter plates is. You'll probably be OK on the back walls but I'm not so sure about the side walls.

rlal

« Reply #22 on: 20 Sep 2018, 05:23 pm »
Hipper,

That is a good point. I am thinking of getting two bass trap and four absorption panel. Will get two with
scatter plate and two wit out it. New impression series look  nice, will study the spec and order either 644  or
impression series.

Thanks

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #23 on: 21 Sep 2018, 07:38 pm »
I have done two sound rooms in acoustic fabric. The first in Burnsville, MN and now in Woodbury, MN.

This material is available at any high quality paint and wallpaper store.  It comes in a variety of colors and textures and goes up like wallpaper.  It is about 1/8 inch thick and does an excellent job of taming high frequency reflections.  The rooms I treated went from sounding like unfurnished suburban "boxes" to dead quiet and very listenable.

I also did the ceilings with the thinnest Sonex acoustic foam panels and thick wall to wall carpeting.  In my present room, the acoustic wall fabric was about $700 installed and the Sonex another $700.

It really works well.  Call me and I can give you an over the phone "knock, knock" test.  651-330-9871

Frank

rlal

« Reply #24 on: 3 Jan 2019, 10:36 pm »
Because I bought my GIK stuff some years ago I'm not familiar with the later products. However, I did get scatter plates on some of my panels and they act like diffusers and have the same issues, namely that if you are not far enough away from them you can hear them.

You should ask GIK what the minimum distance from scatter plates is. You'll probably be OK on the back walls but I'm not so sure about the side walls.

I was about to order  two monster traps and four 244 acoustic panels. I will be using the monster bass trap at corner ( front corner ) and 244 panels at first reflection points. I am assuming there is no need to go for scatter plate or range limiter. Please let me know your opinion.

Thanks

T