BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #40 on: 10 Feb 2011, 12:08 am »
This may be a dumb question... but here goes.  I'm considering a new laptop, which, of course, will be used to load up the external drive to feed the BDP.
It seems like NTFS is the preferred format option.  Will a Mac support writing to an NTFS drive?  And will Mac support the BDP control options available?
Any other considerations re the BDP that would sway the Mac vs PC decision?
Thanks!

Hi - you can not plug the Mac (or any computer) into the BDP-1 - they are both hosts - if I am understanding your question?

The best format is FAT32 if you want to transfer files to the attached USB drives on the BDP-1- the drive format on the sending computer does not matter. If your not transfering files then FAT32 or NTSF works fine.

I have  a Mac Pro laptop and I can transfer files to the attached USB drives on the BDP-1 as long as those drives are formatted Fat32. You can use the Mini or the Max interface or any of the web browser interfaces as you can on tha PC as well.

james

jstrouth

« Reply #41 on: 10 Feb 2011, 02:35 am »
Thanks James,
Wasn't speaking of plugging Mac into the BDP...but you answered my question about format type.  Aren't there some file size restrictions to FAT32?  If so, I presume they don't hamper even 24/192 size files?  And if I understand, the bonus to FAT32 is the ability to transfer files over the network to the drive while its still attached to the BDP?  The BDP will then quickly discover the additional files rather than having to re-discover all files if the drive is removed.
Am I getting it?

loopyground

« Reply #42 on: 10 Feb 2011, 02:39 am »
Go to the itune store (you need an account). Visit the app centre and type in mpod for general search. Mpod is free and you need to sync it onto your ipod. So plug the ipod touch into your computer.....

Up and running now.....thanks for your help! :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #43 on: 10 Feb 2011, 02:42 am »
Thanks James,
Wasn't speaking of plugging Mac into the BDP...but you answered my question about format type.  Aren't there some file size restrictions to FAT32?  If so, I presume they don't hamper even 24/192 size files?  And if I understand, the bonus to FAT32 is the ability to transfer files over the network to the drive while its still attached to the BDP?  The BDP will then quickly discover the additional files rather than having to re-discover all files if the drive is removed.
Am I getting it?

Correct :thumb:

FAT32 is good for any 'single' file up to 4G I believe which is well within the window we need for high res music files.

james

loopyground

« Reply #44 on: 10 Feb 2011, 02:49 am »
To control your BDP with your iPod both must be connected to your network.  Assuming you have already connected your iPod I'm pretty sure (not positive) that you can log on to the App Store directly.  If you can, search for MPOD.  Install it and the rest is fairly easy.  If you have problems Google MPOD and you'll find a forum where you can get help.
Up and running now.....thanks for your help! :thumb:

canucks0

« Reply #45 on: 10 Feb 2011, 04:07 am »
The Bryston BR-2 remote is very basic - it will just do Next and Previous, Stop, Play and Pause , Volume on the Bryston preamps.

james
Couldn't the ipod touch do the same functions once connected to the interface?

werd

« Reply #46 on: 10 Feb 2011, 04:12 am »

You can't adjust the volume but it does everthing else including queing playlists. I didnt use it like that though, my fingers are not nimble enough to control the ipod like that but it can be done. I think you can even build playlists too but it was alot easier to use the desktop for building playing lists and then using the ipod for scrolling and picking tunes any where in the house. Its makes the bdp1 really easy and fun to use.

Whatever you build on the desktop the ipod touch will see using mpod and vise versa.  I used Gnome on the desktop and mpod on the touch.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #47 on: 10 Feb 2011, 04:46 am »

I use the BR2 when I can't be bothered with the iPad or iTouch. Typically, like tonight,  I loaded my top 50 songs USB Drive on the BDP-1 using the front panel controls - turned the lights out and scrolled through the songs using the BR2.

james

Bugsy

« Reply #48 on: 10 Feb 2011, 08:47 am »
If I use my iPod touch to control the BDP-1 through the interface, will it do all the same functions as the Bryston remote will? If so, great, if not, what will both the Touch and Bryston remote be able to control?

Hi Canucks0

The Ipod touch will be able to scroll your BDP-1 album/song list using the Bryston software MINI software interface and/or an app called Mpod which you can down load from the Apple store.

The BR-2 remote can control the (Play, Pause, Stop, Next and Previous) on the BDP-1 player and you will see your album/song list on the front panel of the BDP-1.

The BR-2 also contols the Bryston BCD-1 CD player, BDA-1 Digital-to-Analog Converter, B60R & B100 Integrated Amplifiers, BP6, BP16 & BP26 Preamps via Infra - Red Remote Control.

For for info on the BR2 check out Bryston web page at http://bryston.com/pdfs/09/BR2_MANUAL_20090716.pdf

Larry

Bugsy

« Reply #49 on: 10 Feb 2011, 08:02 pm »
Hi James

Is it possible for you to provide us with the output power and current on the 4 usb ports on the BDP-1. Are these ports grouped together or do the have there own power supply's.

The reason i ask this question is, I was out looking to buy a 500 G usb drive with no wall wart. Some usb drive are sold with a usb cable that have a Y connection at one end, suggesting that they may need 2 usb ports to operate properly.

Thanks Larry

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #50 on: 10 Feb 2011, 08:19 pm »
Hi James

Is it possible for you to provide us with the output power and current on the 4 usb ports on the BDP-1. Are these ports grouped together or do the have there own power supply's.

The reason i ask this question is, I was out looking to buy a 500 G usb drive with no wall wart. Some usb drive are sold with a usb cable that have a Y connection at one end, suggesting that they may need 2 usb ports to operate properly.

Thanks Larry

Hi Larry,

Yes I would go with the newer 2.5 inch USB 2 drives so you only have to use one connection.

The bottom rear port is on it's own (.5 amps) and the top rear port and the front 2 ports share the same connection (.5 amps).

So I usually recommend putting the USB drive that requires the most power on the bottom rear port.

james

Bugsy

« Reply #51 on: 10 Feb 2011, 08:24 pm »
Thanks James.

jstrouth

« Reply #52 on: 10 Feb 2011, 08:29 pm »
James, I'm probably not alone in my desire to use the BDP-1 as a player for hi rez files, including the RR HRx recordings that have been so highly received.  However, re your previous note about FAT32 having a single file size limit of 4Gb.... this quote from the RR site:

"What are the system requirements to play back HRx? You must have a large amount of hard drive storage space available. One HRx title can take up to 4.7 GB of space. You must have software to manage the music playback. "

Semantics, of course, but I'm hoping - and sure that you know... - When RR talks about a 'title' needing 4.7GB, do they mean one file or multi files?

I personally see the BDP-1 as a no-brainer alternative to computer playback - especially with its networking potential.  I hope I'm seeing a problem where none exists!!

Thanks again

Bugsy

« Reply #53 on: 10 Feb 2011, 08:40 pm »
James, I'm probably not alone in my desire to use the BDP-1 as a player for hi rez files, including the RR HRx recordings that have been so highly received.  However, re your previous note about FAT32 having a single file size limit of 4Gb.... this quote from the RR site:

"What are the system requirements to play back HRx? You must have a large amount of hard drive storage space available. One HRx title can take up to 4.7 GB of space. You must have software to manage the music playback. "

Semantics, of course, but I'm hoping - and sure that you know... - When RR talks about a 'title' needing 4.7GB, do they mean one file or multi files?

I personally see the BDP-1 as a no-brainer alternative to computer playback - especially with its networking potential.  I hope I'm seeing a problem where none exists!!

Thanks again

jstrouth

What site are you are you referring too? Can you post the link please.

jstrouth

« Reply #54 on: 10 Feb 2011, 08:50 pm »

BrysTony

« Reply #55 on: 10 Feb 2011, 08:52 pm »

Thanks again

Hi jtstrouth,

I have one of the Reference Recordings HRx "titles" -HR-109 - The Hot Club of San Francisco.  This particular album contains 17 different songs (files).  The total size of the entire album is 4.1GB for the 17 songs + cover art.  The individual songs (files) range from 152.8 MB to 305.8 MB depending on length of the song.  So there are absolutely no issues on playing this "title".  By the way if you like jazz I highly recommend this one.  The 24 bit / 176.4 khz recording was engineered by Keith Johnson and it sounds absolutely great on the BDP-1/BDA-1 combo.   :thumb:

Tony

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #56 on: 10 Feb 2011, 08:56 pm »

Thanks again

Hi

Yes I have most of the RR stuff and they are refering to the complete DVD they send you.  No problem at all with any single file.

james

jstrouth

« Reply #57 on: 10 Feb 2011, 09:10 pm »
Thanks James & Tony.  Glad to hear this is a no compromise player.  I think you guys have a real winner here.

I have the Hot Club as well.... although only the HDTrack 24/88 version...

Begs an interesting question.... In a very well engineered recording such as this, what's the sonic difference between the 24/88 and 24/176?  Can you hear it easily? Do I have 90%, 95%, 99% of the full resolution sound already? That is, should I spring for the 24/176.....
:-)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #58 on: 10 Feb 2011, 10:26 pm »
Thanks James & Tony.  Glad to hear this is a no compromise player.  I think you guys have a real winner here.

I have the Hot Club as well.... although only the HDTrack 24/88 version...

Begs an interesting question.... In a very well engineered recording such as this, what's the sonic difference between the 24/88 and 24/176?  Can you hear it easily? Do I have 90%, 95%, 99% of the full resolution sound already? That is, should I spring for the 24/176.....
:-)

The higher resolution recordings have a greater sense of air and space - its is sutle though not night and day.  i still think the original recording and the care taken has much to do with the end result.

The great thing you will find with the BDP-1 though is how terrific your standard 44.1 CD's sound ripped to the USB harddrive through the BDP-1 :thumb:

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #59 on: 11 Feb 2011, 12:50 am »
Hi Folks,

I have been asked to show the type of cables and connectors the BDP-1 utilizes:

AES-EBU 110 ohm Digital cable

BNC to BNC 75 ohm Digital Cable

BNC to RCA (COAX) Digital Cable