Dual 4.5" in one enclosure. Question?

Taterworks

Re: Dual 4.5" in one enclosure. Question?
« Reply #20 on: 23 Dec 2008, 01:21 am »
Oh, sure, you can hear comb-filtering from a two-driver system. If you put it on the floor or suspend it a few inches from the ceiling with no elevation tilt, your ears will be outside the optimal plane where the difference in the distances from both drivers to your ears are insignificant. But if the speakers are precisely at ear level, then you won't hear any destructive interference in the direct radiation from the drivers. This may be more practical to achieve if you sit far from the speakers -- if you've simply got them on your desktop for PC use, the vertical sweet spot will be small.

One thing that may be quite a bit more audible, however, is a decrease in audible reverberation from hard flooring and bare ceilings. Essentially, arranging the two drivers in the vertical plane will create vertical pattern control. If you sit with your ears aligned horizontally between the two drivers, as frequencies increase, you'll notice more beaming in the vertical plane. The vertical polar (lobing) diagram at high frequencies will feature a narrow point on the horizontal axis, with additional points above and below the long beam as the drivers go in and out of phase at the frequency for which dispersion is being plotted. With the listener's ears aligned with a point equidistant between the acoustic centers of the two drivers, the listener would not be sitting in a null, but in the area of strongest HF radiation.

Quite a few makers of single-driver loudspeakers have had success with dual-driver designs where the two drivers were front-firing. Omega and Almarro are among them.

chrisby

« Reply #21 on: 23 Dec 2008, 08:56 pm »

Quite a few makers of single-driver loudspeakers have had success with dual-driver designs where the two drivers were front-firing. Omega and Almarro are among them.

out of curiosity, could you elaborate which of Louis' or Almarro designs ever had 2 (unfiltered) full range drivers on the face of the cabinet?

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #22 on: 23 Dec 2008, 10:51 pm »

out of curiosity, could you elaborate which of Louis' or Almarro designs ever had 2 (unfiltered) full range drivers on the face of the cabinet?

Here is a link with some older Omega models featuring 2 front firing drivers:
http://www.armonia-avm.com/omega/

Lin

Ed Schilling

« Reply #23 on: 24 Dec 2008, 03:16 am »
While the posts in this thread are correct it should be pointed out that sometimes things don't sound as they should. My M2's by all account should not "work" and I am well aware of ALL the problems with their design. While they are not 2 drivers in one cabinet they are closely spaced and both full range. I experimented with vertical alignment and it was simply awful. Every thing you'd expect happened.

The shock was what happened with side placement. The problems as far as actually hearing them went away.

While I am sure that some will not believe it or possibly even try to educate me why I am wrong, please be aware I have sold a LOT of M2's, and more than a few have bought a second pair to simulate them over the last 5 years.

I have never had a pair returned. And no one has ever mentioned hearing anything that resembles "comb effects". And yes, they would know it if they heard it......wouldn't everyone reading this?

And more importantly I delivered the second pair of M3's on Saturday. One would think that 4 drivers really are a mistake. Well, the owner is happy and so  am I. They sounded as coherent in his room as they did in mind. I should also point out my friend has a couple pair of Sonus Fabers and a set of Theils. He has Classe and Theta, Pass and Krell  equipment. He is not a novice or looking for budget gear.

So again folks, don't believe everything you read.....the purpose of DIY is to "do it your self" and learn. If you listen to "experts" including me and are not building instead, you are not going to ever really "know".

While I realize you have to ask questions to learn , just use the answers you get to test the question in practice.....don't simply accept others answers. Buy some books on loudspeaker design. You'll learn a LOT more.

Good luck.

Ed

chrisby

« Reply #24 on: 27 Dec 2008, 11:21 pm »
Ed:
congrats on the M3 -   where will the madness stop? (ya gonna try to restrict the model numbers to single digits?  :thumb:)

Lin:

thanks for the link - I certainly never recall seeing those before - I'm guessing they predate 2003 (where I heard the bipoles),  and certainly Louis's subsequent shift to the OEM "Hemp" drivers