3D Spiral Horns with Jordan JX92S drivers

jkeny

• Industry Participant
    • Modified Hiface USB Transports
3D Spiral Horns with Jordan JX92S drivers
« on: 11 Apr 2008, 10:00 am »
As per the title of this thread, I'm embarking on an enclosure that has not been tried before with the JX92S drivers, AFAIK.

The final version I am having built, by the kindness of a friend who's a dab hand at wood & just finished some Fonkens, is this one: http://spiralspeaker.web.fc2.com/aaaspeaker/extra/engag180z/eng-ag180z.html

Although not strictly spiral horns - he calls them angular horns - theyare now built & inital reports are that there is plenty of bass from this diminutive speaker with a slight tunnel sound to the midrange which can be fixed with stuffing, I hope.

Has anybody else tried this design of speaker?

jkeny

• Industry Participant
Re: 3D Spiral Horns with Jordan JX92S drivers
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2008, 09:24 pm »
Ok, no interest - built & sounding great - finish to be piano black  - pictures of build here: http://www.4shared.com/dir/6616273/645399db/Jordan_Spiral_Horns.html

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2008, 09:29 pm »
Very interesting looking interior - almost looks like a TL of some kind.  I am amazed at the amount of internal turns and twists etc - those little buggers must weigh a surprising amount for their overall size!

Hope that they sound great - what do you run them with - amp etc?

alexg_ht

« Reply #3 on: 13 Aug 2008, 05:44 am »
I did a spiral horn for a Coral 8" driver, the cabinet was meant for the Fostex 8" driver.

With the Coral 8A-40, the angular spiral has very anemic bass. I am looking for a Fostex 8" to install in the cabinet.

jkeny, how did your speaker turned out with the Jordan drivers?

jkeny

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 18 Aug 2008, 04:58 pm »
Hi Alex,
Speakers turned out fantastic - sound is wonderful - looks are stunning in a piano black finish. I'll try & post some pics. Can they be attached?

mightym

« Reply #5 on: 15 Oct 2008, 01:55 am »
Jkeny,

If you do "DIY Audio", There's a thread over there about a similar project.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64892&highlight=

There may be some info of interest to you here.  They were pleased with the results IIRC.

John

mightym

« Reply #6 on: 15 Oct 2008, 01:59 am »
OOP's

my bad, that's the FR 125 spiral horn thread, now to see if I can find the one I meant to direct you to ( sorry ).
John

mightym

« Reply #7 on: 15 Oct 2008, 02:16 am »
OOP's and DOH!

It was YOUR thread I was looking for........

My Bad. :duh:

John

DanTheMan

• DanTheMan's blabber
« Reply #8 on: 15 Oct 2008, 07:27 pm »
Cool jkeny!  Though look more like TL than BLH.  In any case they are cool as hell.

mightym

« Reply #9 on: 15 Oct 2008, 10:09 pm »
Jkeny,

Now that I have , Ahem, removed my travelling appendage from the confines of my pie hole. :roll:

How did you decide which of the spiral horn designs were suitable for the Jordan's?

I've been wondering how the new Dayton RS100-4/8 might fare in such an alignment.

It's specs are closer to the Jordan's, than the Fostex's.

John

jkeny

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 14 Nov 2008, 10:12 pm »
I still don't know why I'm not receiving update notifications on this thread? So sorry for any delay in replying.

I've posted up a new pic of the speakers in the finished state - piano black finish - even more stunning in the flesh than the camera captured. It's here  http://www.4shared.com/dir/6616273/645399db/Jordan_Spiral_Horns.html
as the last file P1000447.JPG

There was no help forthcoming when I posted my enquiry about the Jordan's suitability to this type of box (3-D Spiral) so I emailed the designer and he said
The best matching design for JX92S may be AG180M.
http://spiral1075.hp.infoseek.co.jp/extra/engag180m/eng-ag180m.html
it worked out wonderfully well. At our little Irish DIY meeting where these speakers were given a critical listen by both DIYers and those who own high priced commercial gear the following was said
The Jordans are incredible and partnered with the right amp will go on to give a lot of listing pleasure. And you know the right amp is a wee Airtight, great music from quite small but well designed products. These two liked each other from the off.
"
The jordans were indeed lovely. Never harsh but civilised no matter what you threw at them. They are worth it. If I'm flush at some stage I might just spring for a pair seeing as I have the cabinet built already.

jkeny

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 14 Nov 2008, 10:59 pm »
Here's the designer's email Masaaki Takenaka <masaaki@snow.ocn.ne.jp> and his website http://www3.ocn.ne.jp/~hanbei/eng-intro.html

JohnR

« Reply #12 on: 14 Nov 2008, 11:09 pm »
Wow, he certainly is prolific!  :o

Did you end up with stuffing?

jkeny

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 15 Nov 2008, 03:04 am »
No stuffing - I found it deadened the sound

BillB

« Reply #14 on: 18 Dec 2008, 06:51 pm »
I couldn't get your pictures to work but it sounds like a really nice project.

I have been using Jordans in a small sealed bookshelf for well over a year now and I never find myself wanting a different speaker.

I do have a second pair that I bought in a group buy on DIY audio that I have done nothing with...I would not mind building a small tower for them and doing the original transmission line.

I bet with time your mids will clean up, my new ones vs. the ones with hundreds of hours is quite different in presentation with the non-broken in ones being very forward compared.

Good to see another Jordanophile.

MerlinWerks

« Reply #15 on: 18 Dec 2008, 09:06 pm »
If I'm understanding correctly, the "reddish" toned cabinets on his web page are shellac on mdf? Actually looked kinda good in the picture. Is anyone familiar with this finish on mdf?

jkeny

• Industry Participant
« Reply #16 on: 21 Jan 2009, 07:41 pm »
I put pictures of some of the speaker build stages on here as well as the finished picture: http://picasaweb.google.com/John.F.Kenny/Jordan3DSpiralHorns#

DanTheMan

• DanTheMan's blabber
« Reply #17 on: 22 Jan 2009, 01:44 am »
Looks great man!  Congratulations!  Are you enjoying them?