EnABL speaker technology?

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
Re: EnABL speaker technology?
« Reply #20 on: 6 Jan 2008, 11:01 am »
A speaker driver interacts with air via a pistonic motion, thus the primary forces are normal to the surface (pressure) and tangential forces are comparatively minimal.

Do keep in mind that the loudspeaker as an ideal piston is only a (fairly weak) assumption used to make the math easier in the early days and now often treated as gospel. Barnek made some comments in his seminal text that have mostly been ignored.

dave

jrebman

Re: EnABL speaker technology?
« Reply #21 on: 6 Jan 2008, 04:32 pm »
Dave,

Thanks for the answer about the drivers I have.  To tell the truth I had forgotten I had even asked, so no worries on the delay.

Brian,

Welcome, and glad to see you here.  Always good to have an aeronautics engineer aboard for these discussions -- even if a lot of it is lost on me :-).

Maybe someday I'll bring a pair of speakers with EnABL to a local g2g, but not sure the rest of the "Mafia" would tolerate one of us SET/Single-driver nutcases :D  Maybe one day, depending on what may or may not happen at ACI, I may have my Sapphires EnABLed, and then we can hook those up to one of the big SS amps :-).

-- Jim