opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Birch Acoustics
« on: 13 Apr 2014, 02:14 pm »

GT Audio Works

srb

Re: Birch Acoustics
« Reply #2 on: 13 Apr 2014, 03:25 pm »
Looks like this driver....http://www.parts-express.com/vifa-ne149w-08-5-1-4-fiber-cone-woofer-speaker-8-ohm--264-1132

Except that particular driver is a woofer with response only to 5KHz, not a full-range driver.  Maybe there is a full-range or extended-range variant.

Steve

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 13 Apr 2014, 03:37 pm »
Stunning beautiful site.  :thumb:
THe speakers too.

GT Audio Works

« Reply #4 on: 13 Apr 2014, 03:55 pm »
Except that particular driver is a woofer with response only to 5KHz, not a full-range driver.  Maybe there is a full-range or extended-range variant.

Steve
That's what I thought...I checked the Tymphany site ..I didn't see one. Unless I missed it. Their full range units only go to 3.5" diameter and response  10khz.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 13 Apr 2014, 04:05 pm »

srb

« Reply #6 on: 13 Apr 2014, 04:14 pm »
THis driver addressed above is really a woofer.
The fullrange driver is a similar one, more expensive:
http://www.parts-express.com/vifa-ne149w-04-5-1-4-full-range-woofer--264-1082

Nope, PE just happened to use "full range woofer" in the title for that one.  It's the same 5KHz woofer, just the 4 ohm version.

Steve

Blackmore

« Reply #7 on: 13 Apr 2014, 04:26 pm »
The spec sheet shows an on axis peak from 6-7K and another around 15K.  Looks like it does respond higher than the 5,000 mark.  Never heard it and don't have an opinion.   

http://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/264-1132-parts-express-specifications.pdf

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 13 Apr 2014, 04:30 pm »
Nope, PE just happened to use "full range woofer" in the title for that one.  It's the same 5KHz woofer, just the 4 ohm version.

Steve
If it run til 5K only its not correct to call it ''full range'' IMO.
PE may wrong this time.

srb

« Reply #9 on: 13 Apr 2014, 05:04 pm »
As Blackmore pointed out there is response beyond 5KHz but it's not very smooth and not what I would want to run "full-range" without some kind of filtering correction, which according to Birch Acoustics, they don't use.

The term "Full Range Woofer" does seems to be PE's own description, as Tymphany/Peerless merely refer to it as a "woofer" even though they do say "FEA-designed motor features copper caps to minimize inductance and extend performance to high frequencies".

Then again, all of the Tymphany specifications are based on a 50Hz - 5KHz Test Spectrum Bandwidth.  So while there is response beyond 5KHz, because it is a bit ragged, if I were Tymphany I would refer to it as a 5KHz driver as they do.

Although it looks like the same driver as far as flange, surround and cone, maybe Birch Acoustics has a different version built to their specifications and application?

I like the cabinets, but that's obviously what you're mostly paying for.

Steve

« Last Edit: 13 Apr 2014, 11:01 pm by srb »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 14 Apr 2014, 06:38 pm »
Well PE just wrong call they "Full Range Woofer" they are Mid Range Drivers.

Scottmoose

« Reply #11 on: 6 May 2014, 08:23 am »
Even that's stretching it by my lights. I certainly wouldn't fancy running them wide-open. That said, Vifa / Tymphany present data for most of their larger drivers, including nominal widebanders, in more or less the same way as they do for their midbass / LF products, which does not put them in a visually flattering light compared to some others. And they've had a few positive reviews, so evidently at least some people like the results, which is ultimately what matters, and the enclosures are very pretty. Improbable that they have a custom unit, although not impossible.

JohnR

« Reply #12 on: 6 May 2014, 01:46 pm »
None of you guys have ever actually measured a fullrange driver, right?

Yes, the response of that driver (and let's assume it is the one used in the speakers titled by this thread) looks a bit ragged, but please show me real measurements of a FR driver 3" or greater that isn't. On-axis, if you smoothed it, it would be "flat" to 20k. Like the measurements some other manufacturers provide. Off-axis, it falls off above about 2k. Show me a 5" driver that doesn't.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #13 on: 6 May 2014, 02:20 pm »
... but please show me real measurements of a FR driver 3" or greater that isn't (ragged on top) ...

That's funny, I was about to post the exact same thing  :lol:

That Vifa has been measured by the Parts Express guys.  It extends just as "smoothly" as most full range drivers. 

JohnR

« Reply #14 on: 6 May 2014, 02:35 pm »
Well, the point is (for me anyway) not to diss FR drivers but simply to point out that the driver, used full-range, seems no better or worse from the apparent measurements than anything else of a similar size.

Scottmoose

« Reply #15 on: 6 May 2014, 03:20 pm »
Which is what I said. The data presentation on the Vifa is less flattering than that employed by most manufacturers of wideband drive units. Personally, I'd still filter it -the cone profile & design suggest operation over a more limited range than some (note caveat) where they were expected to be run wide open. But I've seen worse too. As for the Birch designs -not what I'd do, but that scarcely matters. To each their own & all that. 

Oh -I have measured widebanders thanks.

GT Audio Works

« Reply #16 on: 6 May 2014, 03:33 pm »
Measurements aside, I believe the issue is terminology. PE calls it a full range woofer, an oxymoron for sure.
This unit is not what usually comes to mind as a full range driver. Of course you could use one as such...the proof is always in the listening, not the measuring.
But as far as putting things in neat little classifications... this TB unit is what one would consider full range https://www.parts-express.com/tang-band-w8-1808-8-neodymium-full-range-driver--264-894
The cone area of an 8" unit is over twice that of the 5.25" unit yet the cone mass is still less than the 5.25", offering a better top end response. Greg

srb

« Reply #17 on: 6 May 2014, 03:50 pm »

But as far as putting things in neat little classifications... this TB unit is what one would consider full range https://wholesale.parts-express.com/tang-band-w8-1808-8-neodymium-full-range-driver--264-894

Your link goes to the wholesale Parts Express site, requiring a log-in.

How about this:
http://www.parts-express.com/tang-band-w8-1808-8-neodymium-full-range-driver--264-894

Steve

Scottmoose

« Reply #18 on: 6 May 2014, 03:57 pm »
A good driver of its type.

Whatever the views on the driver, I for one am simply glad that there is another small loudspeaker manufacturer out there. Good luck to them.

GT Audio Works

« Reply #19 on: 6 May 2014, 03:58 pm »
Your link goes to the wholesale Parts Express site, requiring a log-in.

How about this:
http://www.parts-express.com/tang-band-w8-1808-8-neodymium-full-range-driver--264-894

Steve
Thanks for catching that..I don't know what the problem is...every time I go to the site it takes me to the log in page. That never used to happen!!