"What's he building in there" - 6 channels 7200 watts!

hi5harry

OK. Tom Waits said it first, but I'm curious what crazy systems these six channel amps are going into. Home theater? Tri-amp speakers?

neekomax

Re: "What's he building in there" - 6 channels 7200 watts!
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2018, 03:57 pm »
I'm thinking 6 channels of good power would be perfect for a three way active system, or two way actives with two extra channels for subs. I'd make an active crossover system for the Tempest Fusion 12 kit I have waiting to be built (12' Eminence Delta Pro woofer with 12" SEOS waveguide mated to a compression HF driver).

ohenry

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jan 2018, 05:03 pm »
OK. Tom Waits said it first, but I'm curious what crazy systems these six channel amps are going into. Home theater? Tri-amp speakers?

Good question.  I have the 2-channel version coming and depending on how much I like it, I may do a 6-channel to tri-amp a very large vintage, but upgraded speaker.  I'm on the fence about the gains to be had and simplicity often has rewards (especially when I look at the bank account).  Going with the tri-amp scenario introduces more cables and a crossover. 

More stuff sometimes = more stuff, not satisfaction.

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2018, 05:47 pm »
I've got 2 amps coming, one for my friend who turned me on to this thread and a 6 channel SE for me.

Why do I need a 6 channel amp?
I had 2 multi-channel amps, one for surround duties to supplement my 2 channel BMC and one for my Linkwitz mini's that use a 4X10 miniDSP active cross-over to feed the mini's. I gave my Arcam FJ-7 to my stepson which powered the Linkwitz but still have my Emotiva MPS beast.

Now I'll have some flexibility. I can potentially use the AS1200 6 channel to tri-amp the Usher Tower XL's. The Usher has 3 sets of binding posts just for that implementation :) One problem I see with that idea is that my Lindemann DAC-streamer-pre only has 2 sets of outputs. I can split one set of outputs but worry about a system imbalance having a signal split.

But wouldn't it be fun to tri-amp the big Ushers!
Pictured are the Linkwitz mini's that use active DSP and need that 6 channel amp. Yes it's WAY overkill... :duh:

stlrman

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jan 2018, 06:03 pm »
what speaker is that on the right with the ribbon tweeter?

Doublej

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2018, 06:26 pm »
I thought the LX minis required 4 amps. Are you running subwoofers too?

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jan 2018, 07:04 pm »
The speaker on the right is a Clearwave 5R. That tweeter is a Raal with the Amorphous core. The mid is a Scanspeak.
I said it needed the six channel amp but only 4 of those 6 channels but of course I can take the remaining 2 and power my hot-rodded MFW 15 except it already has a dedicated 1000watt amp.

A pic of me and my son with Siegfred at his home. He drove his Linkwitz mini's with a cheap multichannel and and crap wires and it sounded good enough for me to build a pair..  :scratch:

If I don't blow the mini's up (projectile drivers :icon_twisted:) with the AS1200, it might be a fun listen.

ZimAhUm

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 5 Jan 2018, 09:01 pm »
Great ideas!

Should be fun!  :o
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2018, 05:49 am by ZimAhUm »