Lou.

Vince in TX

Re: Amateur Servo Sub 4 Build
« Reply #41 on: 27 Sep 2021, 06:13 pm »
Hi Vince,
 Great build.
  How are they performing for HT?
Lou.

Phenomenal!   And thanks!   I'm still breaking in the surround speakers (they were a bit harsh), but overall the bass is incredible.

too_many_speakers

« Reply #42 on: 4 Nov 2021, 04:39 am »
Just wanted to say thanks for posting this.  I'm here at AudioCircle for the express purpose of not screwing up my own Servo Sub #4 build.  Information here is *extremely* useful!

Vince in TX

« Reply #43 on: 4 Nov 2021, 07:17 pm »
Just wanted to say thanks for posting this.  I'm here at AudioCircle for the express purpose of not screwing up my own Servo Sub #4 build.  Information here is *extremely* useful!

You are very welcome.   And good luck in your build!    :thumb:

timc90

« Reply #44 on: 22 Mar 2024, 05:05 am »
Another option is Speedball Super Black India Ink https://www.amazon.com/Speedball-404696-Bottle-Height-Length/dp/B07BQK7Z37

This has shellac in it to help it dry which makes it compatible with tinted shellac. I have used the two in combination many times. It is how I got the black on the base of my servo subs

Use two to three coats of the Speedball to dye and seal the MDF then use the tinted shellac to get depth and shine. The tinted shellac works best when used as a 1 pound cut or less and applied rubbed on like French polish. If the shellac product you buy is a 2 pound cut, dilute it with denatured alcohol in a 1:1 ratio.

Hi @mlundy57,

Did you apply the India ink onto raw MDF or did you apply something onto the MDF before the India ink? Did you sand after applying India ink and before applying the shellac?

And thanks to @VinceinTX for this amazing thread!

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #45 on: 22 Mar 2024, 06:11 am »
Hi @mlundy57,

Did you apply the India ink onto raw MDF or did you apply something onto the MDF before the India ink? Did you sand after applying India ink and before applying the shellac?

And thanks to @VinceinTX for this amazing thread!

Apply to the raw MDF after sanding raw edges up to 320 or 400. Three coats. You can lightly scuff sand if the surface isn’t smooth.

timc90

« Reply #46 on: 22 Mar 2024, 07:46 am »
Got it thanks! Will try it on the Rythmik amp boxes as I’ve a huge bottle of Super Black India Ink leftover from a Bottlehead project. I really liked the outcome on alder wood but was concerned the water content in the ink might be problematic on MDF:

lokie

« Reply #47 on: 22 Mar 2024, 01:00 pm »
Thanks for sharing. Great detail.