Show Me Your...(Insert Favorite Groups Here)...VINYL!

orthobiz

The Move!

Just love this group; have the 1st/2nd album import 2-fer, American and German import of Looking On, Best Of double record American, British import compilation, bogus "Something Else" from The Move which is a rehash and not the "real" EP, import Message From The Country, Split Ends and a sealed American Shazam, among other. Dang, where's my copy of "Fire Brigade?" Back to the record shelves........

Paul

orthobiz

Re: Show Me Your...(Insert Favorite Groups Here)...VINYL!
« Reply #1 on: 24 Dec 2009, 03:03 am »
Fleetwood Mac

By no means am I a Fleetwood Mac completist, but I do have a broad smattering of titles. And I like the fact that the Black Magic Woman 2 record set has not yet been put on CD!

I can only imagine Jerome's, Laura's, Wayner's et. al. collections!

Paul

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #2 on: 24 Dec 2009, 02:18 pm »
I'd love to toss in some pictures but last Sunday while digging out of the snow I stepped on a patch of ice, took a bad fall, and hurt my left knee.  So I am not getting around so well with a badly strained MCL.

But I can say that on vinyl I have the following artists in abundance:

Miles Davis

A mix of mostly original pressings and some 180g/200g reissues

Walkin'
Miles Davis and The Modern Jazz Giants
'Round About Midnight
Birth of the Cool
Bags Groove
Miles Ahead
Relaxin'
Workin'
Steamin'
Milestones
Porgy and Bess
Kind of Blue
Sketches of Spain
Seven Steps to Heaven
Four and More
My Funny Valentine
Miles Smiles
Nefertiti
Scorcerer
Filles de Kilimanjaro
In a Silent Way
A Tribute to Jack Johnson
Bitches Brew
Live Evil
Agharta

Frank Sinatra

All original Capitol and Reprise Pressings

In the Wee Small Hours
Swing Easy
Songs for Swingin' Lovers
Close to You and More
A Swingin' Affair
Come Fly With Me
Where Are You?
Only The Lonely
Come Dance With Me!
No One Cares
Nice 'n' Easy
Come Swing With Me
Ring-a-Ding Ding
Sinatra's Swingin' Session!!!
All Alone
I Remember Tommy
All The Way
Sinatra and Swingin' Brass
Sinatra-Basie
Sinatra's Sinatra
It Might As Well Be Swing
My Kind of Broadway
September of My Years
Sinatra at the Sands
Strangers in the Night
Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim
That's Life
Cycles
My Way
Watertown
She Shot Me Down
L.A. Is My Lady

EDIT: Here is an incomplete picture with about half of my Sinatra vinyl that I took some time ago.  There isn't enough room on my office sofa for all of it...

Additionally, I have the MFSL vinyl boxed set of Sinatra's Capitol Records output and a few imports.  Suffice it to say that Frank Sinatra is easily the
single-most important artist to me in my music library.

--Jerome
« Last Edit: 24 Dec 2009, 06:31 pm by jsaliga »

bunnyma357

« Reply #3 on: 24 Dec 2009, 04:12 pm »
I collected most of my vinyl between 75-85, so it kind of drops off when CD's kick in.  Here are a few of my favorites that I tried to actually collect.

The Jam

Rockpile (Dave Edmunds & Nick Lowe)

Yardbirds

Jeff Beck

Roy Buchanan

Rory Gallagher

Chris Spedding

UK Subs  (Who have some OCD record collecting tendencies, since they named their major releases alphabetically)

Jim C

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #4 on: 24 Dec 2009, 04:21 pm »
It's nice to see another Roy Buchanan fan.  :thumb:

--Jerome

Wayner

« Reply #5 on: 24 Dec 2009, 04:24 pm »
Well, here is my contribution. CAMEL! What a band. Right up there with Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis.
Prayers to Andy Latimer who is ill, recovering.

Pressure Point (live), Nude, I Can See Your House From Here
Mirage, Snow Goose, Rain Dances
Moonmadness, Breathless, The Single Factor

The ones is RED are must haves.
Wayner :xmas:

orthobiz

« Reply #6 on: 24 Dec 2009, 07:43 pm »
Wayner,

So odd that not only do I not have a single Camel album, I don't remember ever hearing their music, yet the other groups you mention are essential to me.

So, better get some. What's the best beginner album to start with?

Paul

Wayner

« Reply #7 on: 24 Dec 2009, 08:25 pm »
Paul,

In this order, Moonmadness, Breathless, Rain Dances, Nude, I can see your house from here and finally the Single Factor that features Chris Rainbow from The Alan Parsons Project on several songs, including one of my all time favorites "Heroes". In fact, it's going on next.

Wayner

« Reply #8 on: 24 Dec 2009, 08:56 pm »
Here is another set from Andreas Vollenweider. It's mostly instrumental, with an oriental sound, but recorded on the CBS label with audiophile quality. A must for showing off your systems.

Behind the Garden, behind the wall, under the tree, White Winds, Caverna Magica
Dancing with the Lion, Down to the Moon, Book of Roses.

Wayner

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #9 on: 24 Dec 2009, 10:22 pm »
Well, here is my contribution. CAMEL! What a band. Right up there with Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis.
Prayers to Andy Latimer who is ill, recovering.

Pressure Point (live), Nude, I Can See Your House From Here
Mirage, Snow Goose, Rain Dances
Moonmadness, Breathless, The Single Factor

The ones is RED are must haves.

+1    :thumb:

AllynW

« Reply #10 on: 25 Dec 2009, 02:55 am »

Synergy: aka Larry Fast. I spent a year collecting them, only one was used and in mint condition.  all the others were located sealed. I became aware of the artist in the late 80's and collected most of the compact disc.  In the mid 90's Mr. Fast remastered and re-engineered the albums, taking advantage of the digital domain.  I like all versions of albums, each brings something unique to the listening.
« Last Edit: 26 Dec 2009, 01:38 am by AllynW »

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #11 on: 25 Dec 2009, 05:29 am »
Wayner,

So odd that not only do I not have a single Camel album, I don't remember ever hearing their music, yet the other groups you mention are essential to me.

So, better get some. What's the best beginner album to start with?

Paul

:lol: Ive never heard od either of these groups whats up with that the move or camel

bunnyma357

« Reply #12 on: 25 Dec 2009, 06:20 am »

:lol: Ive never heard od either of these groups whats up with that the move or camel

They both were British groups whose popularity over there, didn't translate to the US. The Move was led by Roy Wood and was a predecessor of ELO. They only had a hit here with the song "Do Ya" which was actually a Jeff Lynne track and ELO recorded it as well and had a bigger hit.

I don't know a lot about Camel, but they were one of those bands you always saw in the "Import" bins back in the old record store days along with groups like Van der Graff Generator, Hawkwind, Budgie, Gong and some others that I always wanted to give a try but never got a chance to hear, and couldn't afford to buy the high priced imports.

Jim C

orthobiz

« Reply #13 on: 27 Dec 2009, 12:58 am »
My 15 year old Allie wants to get into the act:

Here's here ever growing Bowie collection:

Space Oddity, Lodger, Low, 12" Single, Station to Station, Aladdin Sane, PinUps, Ziggy, Scary Monsters, Heroes, Hunky Dory...

Paul

orthobiz

« Reply #14 on: 27 Dec 2009, 01:07 am »

They both were British groups whose popularity over there, didn't translate to the US. The Move was led by Roy Wood and was a predecessor of ELO. They only had a hit here with the song "Do Ya" which was actually a Jeff Lynne track and ELO recorded it as well and had a bigger hit.

Jim C

Right, Jim. The Move is worthwhile if you haven't heard them. Get Shazam first...all are essential once you're hooked, there's really only four releases, the other albums I have are mixes of various albums and singles.

1. The Move, the first, is mid60's pop.
2. Shazam, 1968, is heavy and more experimental, made up of only 6 songs.
3. Looking On, while essential to any fan, is a bit more for fans only, first album with Jeff Lynne.
4. Message From The Country, released in USA vinyl with weaker cuts removed and hit singles added as Split Ends,
is great, Roy and Jeff hitting their stride, recording at the same time as the first ELO album.

Most CD's of Message From the Country have the singles added with the complete British album intact. Going from the first album to the second in complexity (it's totally different music, though) is like the Moody's going from Go Now to Nights in White Satin in one year...

Enjoy!

Paul

vinyl_lady

« Reply #15 on: 28 Dec 2009, 01:30 am »
The Moody Blues including solo albums by various members

U2

After a wonderful week in Colorado with family, it's nice to be back home with my vinyl :bounce:

Laura

Wayner

« Reply #16 on: 29 Dec 2009, 10:23 pm »
My glorious Klaatu's 4 of 5 LPs, featuring (top left to right) 3:47 E.S.T., Hope (on bottom, left to right) Sir Army Suit, and Endangered Species. Their claim to hit-dom is the song "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft", but almost all of the songs from every LP are somehow a hit in my mind anyway.

Wayner  :D

orthobiz

« Reply #17 on: 30 Dec 2009, 01:35 am »
Idon't have any Klaatu either...nor do I have any Shoes but I did get the Rutles LP recently, but I don't think it's quite the same...

I think it's cool that we have our niche loves. Wayner, what's the fifth album? Is it unobtanium?

Paul

bunnyma357

« Reply #18 on: 30 Dec 2009, 05:32 am »
I did get the Rutles LP recently, but I don't think it's quite the same...

Paul

Although I do think Cheese & Onions would have been the Beatles best song.

Jim C

Wayner

« Reply #19 on: 30 Dec 2009, 12:37 pm »
The fifth LP is called Magrntalane, and it is close to the worst album of all time. I have it on CD, but the LP is very, very scarce. The funny thing is that one of the last songs on the 4th LP was called "Sell Out", and it was a direct slam on the record company and perhaps Klaatu's manager/producer.

When Klaatu first appeared with their first LP, there was absolutely no information about anything of the band, it's members or where they were from. After some airplay, some critics thought that they were actually the re-formed Beatles, because the vocals were so excellently arranged.

One of my favorite songs is also from E.S.T. 3:47 called "Anus from Uranus" and is un-describable.

Wayner