alan maher's infinity speaker cable filters

cporada

alan maher's infinity speaker cable filters
« on: 16 Jul 2009, 01:36 pm »
I wanted to share my experience with one of Alan's newest products; his Infinity Speaker cable filters. My initial reaction immediately upon install was very positive. I knew right away these were definitely something I was going to like a lot, but I waited until I had done some more extended listening to try to write down my impressions. Prior to install, I didn?t really think anything was missing from the presentation I had. The timbre and soundstage were both quite good thanks in large part to all of Alan?s other products I already had installed. Boy was I mistaken about nothing missing. With the new speaker filters installed, the sound is so expansive, it seems like the walls have disappeared in my room! I get a much more 3-D sound and much more front-to-back information than I ever remember having before. This effect is especially pronounced with large orchestras, where I can now place the instruments on stage, not only side-to-side, but also get a sense of where they are on the stage from a depth perspective. Listening to CD?s such as those of the LA guitar quartet is really remarkable; each guitarist is sitting in a separate spot, and you can even tell they are sitting in a semi-circle, since some are clearly closer to the listener than others! I even went to the album notes to check this, since I heard it clearly but wanted to be sure this was their seating arrangement. The best way I can describe the effect these filters bring about is that, prior to their installation, listening to my system was like standing at the doorway of a great concert hall hearing the wonderful music coming out of the hall in what I thought was all of its glory. After the install, it is as if I have taken several steps forward into the hall itself, allowing me to become completely enveloped in the music, experiencing each and every nuance with startling clarity. All the emotion of the performance is now there, taking the listening experience to a whole new level. Last night I sat riveted to my chair for over an hour listening to Rostropovich playing Bach?s unaccompanied cello suites. The sound was so involving that I could not move. It almost felt impolite to stand up and stop him from his performance before he had finished. I don?t know what Alan managed to put into such a tiny little package, but these things pack a monster-size punch! If you're curious what your system is really capable of, give these a try; you won't be disappointed!

mdconnelly

Re: alan maher's infinity speaker cable filters
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2009, 03:13 pm »
Nice description!  This may be posted elsewhere on AC, but can you provide info on what other products you're using of Alan's and how you're using them in your system?   Thanks!

arthurs

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jul 2009, 04:28 pm »
Also, any pics of the filters and how they connect to your speakers?  Thanks!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jul 2009, 04:48 pm »

arthurs

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jul 2009, 06:39 pm »
Thanks Pete!  So how do these connect to your binding posts? 

(besides the obvious answer of "with the spades") I mean where does the second set of spades go?

cporada

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jul 2009, 07:10 pm »
Hi everyone
I have a dedicated 20 amp circuit feeding an Oyaide duplex.  A PE V Pro is plugged into the bottom outlet and the DIY powerstrip that feeds my system is plugged into the other outlet.  A Quantum S/AC is plugged into the first outlet on the strip.  2 Ref II's are plugged into non-audio circuits in my house and 2 standard PE's are plugged into two other non-audio circuits.  How do I insert a photo of the filter on my speakers so you can see the hook-up?
Chris

cporada

« Reply #6 on: 16 Jul 2009, 07:56 pm »
Sorry, that was a dumb question  :duh: Here's the image:

Chris

arthurs

« Reply #7 on: 16 Jul 2009, 08:30 pm »
Thanks Chris, got it now, not sure why it wasn't more obvious to me ....  :duh:

How about a tour Alan??   :thumb:

mdconnelly

« Reply #8 on: 16 Jul 2009, 09:28 pm »
Chris, is the Quantum S/AC the new Quantum Studio?  I ask because I'm waiting on one myself.   

Can you comment on the different impact each of Alan's filters have had on your system?  For example, what do you hear if when you add the PE V Pro vs the Quantum S?   (or more importantly, what happens when you remove one or the other).   

I'm very intrigued by Alan's work...

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #9 on: 16 Jul 2009, 11:04 pm »
The Q S/AC is an upgraded V S/AC.   

Mike

I actually glued yours up today and I plan to work on it Saturday and out the door on Monday.  Next week is kind of busy for me so I want to get as many orders out the door as parts allow Saturday and Monday.   Jen has to have a couple surgery?s done on her foot so she?s deployable later in the year, and the first one is next week.  I have to take her up to Landschule for pre-op and same day Tuesday and Thursday?.plus I have an allergy appointment for my shots there as well on Wednesday?.Landschule is usually an all day affair, it takes a couple of hours to drive up there from where we live.

The part order for this past Monday Studio OEM sale has not arrived and I don't expect to see it until the end of next week if I'm lucky.  I'm working on Infinity SC and Q IEC orders this weekend.

arthurs,

"How about a tour Alan??"

Not for this year? Jen is deploying to Afghanistan and I?m staying home with my daughter and working at the club for the next 12 to 15 months?.more than likely for the remainder of this tour which ends in 18 months.  Jen is nagging me to move back to the states so she can retire after one more tour.  Right now she?s locked in via a stop loss, or we would retire this year, but one more tour maxes her out at 24 years and that is the max limit she can stay in as enlisted at her present rank.

I know that is not what you meant.  The Infinity SC is very impressive for the price compared to the others on the market.

arthurs

« Reply #10 on: 16 Jul 2009, 11:31 pm »
Alan, you out with Monte Montgomery this year?  What a talent!

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #11 on: 16 Jul 2009, 11:44 pm »
No...As I said prior I took time off from touring while Jen is on call for deployment. Monte played the club I work at and I handled house sound. I agree he is an enormous talent.

http://www.colos-saal.de/oxid.php/sid/2cf2b468910c9cd965d05c6c9ce4a3ae/

I'm working swing weeks, last week I worked Monday to Thursday and this week it's Friday to Thursday, I split the off with another tech.

arthurs

« Reply #12 on: 17 Jul 2009, 12:43 am »
Cool.   :thumb:

rydenfan

« Reply #13 on: 17 Jul 2009, 02:25 am »
And I thought Art was just asking for a pair to be sent out and shared/demoed to AC members  :scratch:

alanmaher

• Alan Maher designs
    • Alan Maher designs
« Reply #14 on: 17 Jul 2009, 06:44 am »
If I had the extra parts available I would send out a beta package and let you demo amongst yourselves to your heart?s content, but I have a stack of orders this week and limited parts due to a vendor mix up last week.