Mushrooms

MaxCast

Mushrooms
« on: 18 Apr 2009, 09:01 pm »
Please share your recipes.

I have been using garlic, wine, butter and Worcestershire and shrooms.  Used for steaks.  Am I missing something?

How to you clean Portabellos?  I have just been cleaning the tops first under cold water and hitting the underside real quick.

Grumpy_Git

Re: Mushrooms
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2009, 10:57 pm »
never wash a mushroom! brush it or peel it but never add moisture it makes them slimy.

Nick

Watson

« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2009, 10:58 pm »
You can wash them prior to cooking. Doesn't make them slimy. Frying hurts the psilocybin content though.

Christof

« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2009, 01:00 am »
You can wash them prior to cooking. Doesn't make them slimy. Frying hurts the psilocybin content though.

:lol:  throw those in pasta sauce.

MaxCast
You are in Morel country...
I'm just sitting watching the clock tick...walked my hot spot this afternoon :wink: 
50/50 olive oil:butter....

Saute with fresh Michigan asparagus.

MaxCast

« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2009, 11:19 am »
Yeah, I know.   :oops: I've never had a morel.  Saw them at the grocery, $40 a pound.

I've seen other types of shrooms at the grocery but never tried any of them.  When asparagus hits I will try your grass/shroom mix.

Brown

« Reply #5 on: 19 Apr 2009, 02:33 pm »
No need to clean the portobellas. For others just take a damp cloth and wipe them. Never put under water. Maybe try mincing some shallots and  garlic to taste. Equal butter and olive oil in saute pan . Slice mushrooms accordingly. Slightly brown shallot and garlic mixture, deglaze with a touch of white wine or sherry. Add mushrooms and cook until tender. As an option you can add some thyme or rosemary. Enjoy.

rydenfan

« Reply #6 on: 19 Apr 2009, 04:40 pm »
This is really simple but I like to take Portabellas and marinate them in Italian salad dressing. Then I just throw them on the grill for about 3 minutes a side (or until soft) and they make a great app or side  :thumb:

Zheeeem

« Reply #7 on: 21 Apr 2009, 01:36 am »
Um.  Mushroom means different things to different folks.  I don't eat the roundish white things known as champignons de Paris in France.  (Dunno what they are called in the states.)  Pretty awful, as are crimini and portobello.

Some of my typical fungus recipes:

White or black truffles - raw in paper thin slices over fresh pasta stirred with some light italian extra virgin olive oil and fleurs de sel de guerande.

Cepes, bolets, funghi porcini - pan fried in olive oil till lightly caramelized.

Chanterelles, trompettes de la mort, mixed champignons de bois, etc. - pan fried on high heat in a lightly oiled pan.

Morilles - in cream sauces, either over meat or on their own in a pastry shell

Shiitake - asian style stir fry, or in risottos with asparagus and lobster or scallops

galyons

« Reply #8 on: 21 Apr 2009, 01:53 am »
Um.  Mushroom means different things to different folks.  I don't eat the roundish white things known as champignons de Paris in France.  (Dunno what they are called in the states.)  Pretty awful, as are crimini and portobello.

Button mushrooms, champignons, are the most commonly found mushroom in the typical American corporate chain grocery store. Crimini and portobello, (same mushroom - the portobello is a mature crimini) are also pretty available. All of them are a part of the Agaricus family and the wild varieties as are wonderfully flavorful as the cultivated are bland.

I live in the San Francisco area and have good access to wild mushrooms seasonally.  It was a poor winter season, chanterelles, black trumpet, hedghogs and candy caps were in short supply due to the dry, weird weather.  Morels are just starting and this may be spectacular year.  Spring boletes, (porcini), are about 1 month out.

I dry my mushrooms to have a good pantry supply!!

Cheers,
Geary

whubbard

« Reply #9 on: 21 Apr 2009, 02:51 am »
How do you all prepare psilocybin mushrooms?
Any favorite recipes?
 :green:

-West

pjchappy

« Reply #10 on: 21 Apr 2009, 03:04 am »
How do you all prepare psilocybin mushrooms?
Any favorite recipes?
 :green:

-West

My favorite recipe used to involve a heavy dash of Pink Floyd, along with a pinch of Wilco, Radiohead and Travis.

It always ended up tasting like sh*t, but did usually sound and look great. 

Anywho, for portobellos, some say to remove the gills. . .the black veiny things on the underside. 

I haven't cooked a large variety of mushrooms, but just be sure not to overcook them.  I do not wash them, either. . . I just brush off any dirt I see, usually with a paper towel.

Garlic, oil, butter, etc. are a good start.  Just like with anything, just make sure you don't over-power the taste of the mushroom itself.  Save any salt for towards the end of cooking, as too early may draw out a lot of moisture early on.

Those white button mushrooms, which are VERY common in stores, don't have a great flavor on their own.  Splurge (and experiment) with other varieties.

Damnit. . . I'm hungry now.

Zheeeem

« Reply #11 on: 21 Apr 2009, 03:56 pm »
All of them are a part of the Agaricus family and the wild varieties as are wonderfully flavorful as the cultivated are bland.

I dunno.  In france I lived alongside a pasture and we had plenty of champignons available.  Not too different from the store-bought stuff.

galyons

« Reply #12 on: 21 Apr 2009, 04:10 pm »
I dunno.  In france I lived alongside a pasture and we had plenty of champignons available.  Not too different from the store-bought stuff.

Well, perhaps the champignons are just like wines, the Northern California varietals are simply just better??   :lol:

Cheers,
Geary

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #13 on: 21 Apr 2009, 04:21 pm »
It's been plenty wet, but not consistently warm enough here for the Morels to pop.  I'm hoping to take a walk this weekend...  mmmmm

Slice in half lengthwise

Nice hot pan with a bit of olive oil and a bit of fresh cracked pepper.  Sear them for about 45 seconds with a lid on the skillet.  Some people prefer the slow cook in sherry/butter.  To each their own.

They're also really good with a beer/pepper batter and deep fried whole.

Bryan

sts9fan

« Reply #14 on: 21 Apr 2009, 04:49 pm »
Went to see you lady's family in Indiana.  They eat tons of morels but they call em "dog peckers".  Corn meal breaded fried in butter.
Yum.  If only they knew they were eating fancy shmancy mushrooms!

BobM

« Reply #15 on: 21 Apr 2009, 05:07 pm »
This kind has become somewhat popular with the NY Audio Rave group lately

Christof

« Reply #16 on: 24 Apr 2009, 12:45 am »
It's been plenty wet, but not consistently warm enough here for the Morels to pop.  I'm hoping to take a walk this weekend...  mmmmm

Slice in half lengthwise

Nice hot pan with a bit of olive oil and a bit of fresh cracked pepper.  Sear them for about 45 seconds with a lid on the skillet.  Some people prefer the slow cook in sherry/butter.  To each their own.

They're also really good with a beer/pepper batter and deep fried whole.

Bryan

Found 12 small black morels today in NW Indiana...nice warm temps this weekend should flush them out.  What a wonderful time of year, Morels coming up, trees budding, flowers pushing their way through the ground and DarkLord Day...only 2 days away  :beer:

WGH

Mushrooms
« Reply #17 on: 29 Oct 2021, 09:31 pm »
While a friend is out of town this weekend I'm babysitting her mushroom farm. Let's see how big they get, they are fast growers.

WGH

« Reply #18 on: 31 Oct 2021, 03:19 am »
Day 2, this is getting scary

DocRock1007

« Reply #19 on: 31 Oct 2021, 03:44 am »
Those look delicious.