CD and DVD Mod

moray james

• moray james cables
CD and DVD Mod
« on: 11 Sep 2003, 12:19 am »
Last night a friend brought over one of Herbies silicon CD damping film disks. Had a listen smoothed things out but the overall sound was over damped. Gave me an idea to try less to see if worked better. So remenbering God's gift to audio (PVC Electrical Tape) I took the same disk and placed a couple of strips such that it looked like one piece of tape straight across the middle extending from outer edge to inner edge of centre hole and then across forom the opposite side of the centre hole to the other outer edge. Had a listen better but still over damped. So went for a little less hoping for more.
This time I cut three narrow strips 3/4 inch wide (the width of the roll of tape) by about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch across. I then placed these so that they are symetrically situated around the outside edge of the CD's inner hole. The middle of each 3/4 inch piece is just touching the outside edge of the centre hole. This does two things first the tape damps the disk and secondly the tape provides the CD clamp an excellent interface between the disk and the clamp. The clamp can not chatter or rattle. Result is a smoother sound not overdamped, stage and image are both improved and bass is more solid. Cost is three fifths of diddley. Give it a try and enjoy. PVC electrical tape is also a wonderful interface between a phono cartridge and the head shell and lots of other places. Regards Moray James.