Can anyone recommend a good brand of precooked Buffalo wings?

Waynegro

PhilNYC

They're expensive, but they are THE ORIGINAL... :drool:

http://www.anchorbar.com/

Waynegro

That seems a bit....expensive. 

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
It's simple to make them from scratch, and of course they're better than any frozen wing.  But since that's not what you asked ( :lol:) I'd say you can get an adequate buffalo wing at Wal-Mart.  Don't tell anyone I said that! :oops:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
They are simple to make....even I can do it.... :lol:
Try this......recipe...
Simple and good.... :thankyou:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
My recipe- not that he asked! :lol:  I buy whole wings, then cut of the wingtips and disjoint them.  I deep fry the wings, but if you really had to you could bake 'em, but they're not as good that way.  When the wings are almost done I throw 1 TBSP butter in a wok and melt it.  To that I add 2 TBSP of Trappey's Hot Sauce and 1 TBSP white wine.  Boil it for a second to remove the alcohol, stir it a bit to incorporate the butter.  Then dump the wings into the sauce mixture and toss it vigorously.  The last part is key- it will emulsify the butter and thicken the sauce, as well as coating the wings nicely. :)

Poor guy- he just wanted to know where to buy decent frozen ones. :oops: :lol:  Sorry to get OT.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Hmmm...I was thinking Franks and Trappey's were the same?  Guess I'm mixed up.  Franks is the best. :thumb:

lonewolfny42

They are simple to make....even I can do it.... :lol:
Try this......recipe...
Simple and good.... :thankyou:

Sorry, Chris, but anyone from Western NY will tell you that recipe isn't worth beans.

The essential ingredient in any Buffalo Wing sauce is Frank's Hot sauce (now sold under the Durkee label). NO other hot sauce will produce anything remotely like authentic Buffalo Wings.

Grant....Everyone's taste is a little different.....but the main point of my post.....its simple to make.....easy cooking....very few ingredients....so why buy ready made ?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Well, grilling is nice, but I really think you need to par 'em in the oven to get best result grilling.  And I still slightly prefer them fried, but I really dig a super crispy wing.  My brother likes em soggy- really soggy. :duh:  We serve a good wing at our restaurant, par'ed in the oven, then deep fried, then dusted with cajun seasoning and finished on the broiler.  Pretty tasty, and much less messy than buff sauce.  Nice for a change once in awhile.

lonewolfny42

Pretty tasty, and much less messy than buff sauce.  Nice for a change once in awhile.
But then you can't get the sauce all over your shirt...... :jester:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Re: Can anyone recommend a good brand of precooked Buffalo wings?
« Reply #10 on: 29 Dec 2006, 04:52 am »
Well, their wings aren't the best but the scenery is pretty good. aa

lonewolfny42

« Reply #11 on: 29 Dec 2006, 04:54 am »
...including the God awful version served by Hooters
People don't go there for the food Grant..... :lol:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 29 Dec 2006, 04:56 am »
...including the God awful version served by Hooters
People don't go there for the food Grant..... :lol:

Yeah- that's spicy! :thumb:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 29 Dec 2006, 05:09 am »
Ditto for me.  Sam's Club sells Franks in the gallon jugs and that's the way I buy it.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #14 on: 29 Dec 2006, 05:21 am »
http://www.hotsauceblog.com/  ....Interesting reading about hot sauce..... :thankyou:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #15 on: 29 Dec 2006, 05:32 am »
Its a good site....
Here....page down to 2nd. recipe... http://www.hotsauceblog.com/hotsaucearchives/category/recipes/hot-wing-recipes/

Shows with photo's how to make Buffalo Wings.... :thumb:

eric the red

« Reply #16 on: 29 Dec 2006, 06:14 am »
Sice we're already off track here...The ony wings I dream about (Chicken Valley's in the Pike Place public market in Seattle are also excellent) are from Shorty and Wag's in SE Minneapolis. The absolute best I've eaten. Here's an unbiased review:

"7. Shorty & Wags Original Wings and Ribs
5 stars
3753 Nicollet Ave
Minneapolis, MN 55409
(612) 822-0619
Category: Restaurants

REMEMBER WHEN WINGS MEANT ALL THREE  PARTS? Even today I have never understood calling a third of a wing a "wing" --- its a section.  What kind of deformed chicken runs around with a third of a wing?  But i guess Buffalo "sections" wouldn't sell... I digress. 

Okay, so there is a place in Minneapolis where wings still mean wings and they are great - spicy, different variations and inexpensive..sound good?  Here's the reality - this is a place where you cannot take your girlfriend, your friends, your siblings or anyone who you care about what they think of you.  Don't be fooled your girlfriend will leave you, your friends will look at you funny and your family will probably disown you for going to such a sketchy place (it almost sounds like a country song). This is the kind of place they talk about in Cheers (Norm's secret place).  This is the kind of sketchy place where you go "ALONE" because no one else would understand. 

That said, they do have the best wings and BBQ in town.  Shorty's is a small family owned, secret blend of herbs and spices, countertop restaurant that is open super late and has grease everywhere --- i can even remember my shoes smacking with it when i left the place a few times -- but i was also very happy (so it's a trade off).   

If you love wings go there! If you love your family and friends leave them home."

Whenever I'm in Seattle (next week for one), I go down to the market, buy 5 or six wings and a couple of Cokes from Chicken Valley, drench the wings in bbq sauce and sit on the landing right above Place Pigalle restaurant and watch the boats go by.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #17 on: 29 Dec 2006, 06:27 am »
REMEMBER WHEN WINGS MEANT ALL THREE  PARTS? Even today I have never understood calling a third of a wing a "wing" --- its a section.  What kind of deformed chicken runs around with a third of a wing?
A news story today....cloned meats.......might be working on that "third of a wing"...... :o

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 29 Dec 2006, 06:29 am »
I'll take sections, thanks.  I'll leave wingtips, beaks, feet, etc to the Chinese restaurants.

PhilNYC

« Reply #19 on: 29 Dec 2006, 12:21 pm »

FYI...Western NY native.

:bowdown: :thumb:

You know, I went to college in upstate NY, and worked/lived in Buffalo for a year...and I have yet to find Buffalo Wings outside these areas that are anywhere near as good.  There are a couple of places in NYC that make wings that are pretty tasty (Atomic Wings, Pluck-U), but they don't quite do justice to those of the Western New Yorker...