ESPRESSO!!!!!!!!!!!

macrojack

• Restricted
Re: ESPRESSO!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #40 on: 17 Nov 2006, 04:48 pm »
Do not worry about the health effects of coffee.  It is the way that the US consumes the most amount of antioxidants.

It may not be the most rich in them, but it is how we get the most of them.

Most things in moderation are not bad for us at all.  The amount of oil in coffee is trivial compared to other beans and seeds.

-Paul
[/quote

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #41 on: 17 Nov 2006, 05:19 pm »

holy sh-- batman!!! 

Speaking of turds, isn't there some exotic beans that must be hand picked and washed after being pooped out of a goat or something like that?

Night_Train

« Reply #42 on: 17 Nov 2006, 07:37 pm »
Kowi Lupac beans....at just less than a couple hundred dollars a pound.
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2006, 07:58 pm by Night_Train »

Gordy

« Reply #43 on: 17 Nov 2006, 09:06 pm »
It's not a goat that eats the beans, it's actually an Indonesian civet cat... Kopi Luwak...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

beat

« Reply #44 on: 18 Nov 2006, 05:55 pm »
It's not a goat that eats the beans, it's actually an Indonesian civet cat... Kopi Luwak...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

you got it G,
Here, you go first and let me know how it is

http://www.indonesiangrocery.com/

Gordy

« Reply #45 on: 18 Nov 2006, 06:39 pm »
Howdy D!

Thanks, living next door to the mushroom growing capital of the world, I really appreciate the fact that they're doing the roasting now...  :roll:

SET Man

« Reply #46 on: 20 Dec 2006, 04:50 am »
Hey!

Well, this thread haven't been active for a while.

But I just bought a Bodum's "Chambord" French coffee press..... 8 cups version  :D

Well, I have been drinking coffee for couple of years now. And I have to admit that I'm addicted to Starbuck's... especially those Frappuccino ice blend one  :drool: When I'm at home I usually get by with instance coffee :roll:

I've been a tea drinker longer than coffee. And a few weeks ago I was brewing green tea with Bodum's tea press/pot and it got me thinking. Hmmm.... they do have this for coffee too! So, with that it was time for me to explore a better way to make coffee at home :D

So, came the coffee press :D I must say that I'm very impressed with it. It dose make a great cup of coffee for sure. And the thing is so simple and elegant.

Now I'm very happy that I could get up in the morning on my day off and have a great cup of coffee without going to Starbuck... of which there is none around my place. Man! you know I should have got this long time ago! :lol: So, now no more instance coffee for me at home :D

There is a coffee/tea store here in downtown NYC called (click>) McNulty's Tea&Coffee Company They have been around since 1895 :o It is a pretty amazing store. When you step inside it is like stepping back in time. Make sure you check out there virtual tour of the store. With great selections of tea and coffee. I have been buying green tea from them for couple of years now. :D Great store... it should become a NYC landmark for tea and coffee lovers :D

BTW.... I usually pick up my favorite tea the "Sencha" premium grade Japan green tea there. This tea cost $30 a pound.... ouch! But it is worth it. And you only need just a bit to make a cup anyway :D I was there to to buy my first bag of coffee bean and they recommend me to try bean from Sumatra @ 10 a pound. And it was very good... great starter for sure. I think I will go back and try some other coffee bean. They are nice and knowledgeable so I want to support them instead of buying from big corporation like Starbuck :roll:

Hmmm.... wonder if my cat could help me make something like Kowi Lupac bean that you guys are talking about. I think I will call my "Orange Tabby Special" :lol:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

« Last Edit: 20 Dec 2006, 07:39 am by SET Man »

fajimr

« Reply #47 on: 20 Dec 2006, 02:03 pm »
hey buddy

congrats!!!  press pots are a great way to make coffee- second to the espresso machine, in my book!  Do you have a place to get fresh beans in NY? (EDIT- ooops just saw the link to your coffee store) are you grinding them yourself before you make the coffee.  Fresh beans and fresh grind is the key to good coffee!!!

here's a primer on  brewing press pot (I used to love Peets but after they went public they went downhill  :( ) http://www.peets.com/learn/coffee_methods.asp

cheers
jim

SET Man

« Reply #48 on: 21 Dec 2006, 01:24 am »
hey buddy

congrats!!!  press pots are a great way to make coffee- second to the espresso machine, in my book!  Do you have a place to get fresh beans in NY? (EDIT- ooops just saw the link to your coffee store) are you grinding them yourself before you make the coffee.  Fresh beans and fresh grind is the key to good coffee!!!

here's a primer on  brewing press pot (I used to love Peets but after they went public they went downhill  :( ) http://www.peets.com/learn/coffee_methods.asp

cheers
jim

Hey!

Jim, thanks for the info link. Well, look like I have been doing it right :D It is interesting how the amount of coffee and time could vary depend on where or who you got the info from. But like in audio I think it will take me sometime to come to a point where everything feel just right :wink:

Yes, I do agreed that a good espresso machine could be a better way. But a good machine usually cost $200+  Than a gain if you think about it. Using a Coffee French Press is very close to what people back than use to make coffee long before espresso machine and way back to the first cup of coffee.... good roasted beans, grounded up, put in a cup, add hot water and stir. :D

Anyway, no I don't grind my own beans... Yes, I know that grinding them just before brewing is best. I asked the guy at McNulty's to grind the beans for French coffee press for me. :D

Well, can't wait for Sunday... I'll be up in the morning to make a nice cup coffee and than enjoy the day :D

Take care,

mjosef

« Reply #49 on: 21 Dec 2006, 01:33 am »
Hey Buddy, thats a great addition to refreshment for your mini-raves... :lol:..mhnnn, nothing like fresh brewed coffee.

Canyoneagle

« Reply #50 on: 21 Dec 2006, 01:47 am »
On the weekends (at home) we like to drink fresh ground organic dark roast (varying origins) from the french press.

I've started drinking espresso macchiato (in lieu or espresso) for my after-lunch weekday treat.
a proper macchiato (NOT Starbucks) is espresso topped with a dollop of steamed milk.  Very nice.
Cheers!
Warmly,
Michael

SET Man

« Reply #51 on: 21 Dec 2006, 01:56 am »
Hey Buddy, thats a great addition to refreshment for your mini-raves... :lol:..mhnnn, nothing like fresh brewed coffee.

Hey!

Sure! what would you guys like Japanese "Sencha" green tea or Sumatra coffee bean? :D

Well, I will have this on my next Mini-Rave for sure. I'm thinking of getting one or two more bean varieties so by than you guys could choose :wink:

Take care,

fajimr

« Reply #52 on: 21 Dec 2006, 02:23 am »
   Well, can't wait for Sunday... I'll be up in the morning to make a nice cup coffee and than enjoy the day :D

Buddy, you've got the most important ingredient for good coffee right there...

enjoy!
jim

mjosef

« Reply #53 on: 21 Dec 2006, 02:35 am »
Hey I am always open for new(to me ) brews, there are so many varieties available now.
On the espresso front, I got an email once offering a free espresso maker when purchasing about 60$ worth of coffee, it was touted as a 300$ value...not sure what I did with that email. I think the deal is similar to that company that sent you a free drip coffee maker when you signed up for their coffee. I think I had about two of their machine after signing up a couple times over the many years. Still got one on my counter.

Christof

« Reply #54 on: 21 Dec 2006, 03:06 am »
Gotta gloat for a minute.

I just walked out of our local junk/antique/thrift shop with a minty 1930's A9 Kitchen Aid/Hobart burr grinder.  I spotted it in a box of misc. junk and asked the clerk about it.  He replied that it was some type of old blender and the cutter blade was missing from the threaded shaft that stuck up from inside the glass part.  I offer him $5.

I've already modded my coffee grinder :lol:.  There is a small set screw on the adjustment ring which prevents the user from adjusting the grind too fine and allowing the burrs to grind together.  It can be removed to allow the burrs to carefully be brought in even closer for espresso grind.

fajimr

« Reply #55 on: 21 Dec 2006, 03:38 am »
excellent find christof... go over to coffeegeek.com and you might be able to find other tweaks/parts supplier for the grinder.  It's a great great site just sometimes painfully slow  :cry:

I just upgraded to a nicer burr grinder (a baratza virtuoso) and it really does make a difference.. especially with espresso.  The tamper also helped with consistency of my shots ...

cheers
jim